Pokemon GO

ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
This game is taking the world by storm. Here in sunny Florida, every park is filled with players of all ages. I'm seeing strangers befriending each other over the latest tip, friendly rivalries being created from opposing teams, really an experience unlike anything else.

How are you guys liking it?
Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
FGNL Season 1 Champions
FN Season 2 & 4 Champions

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    GF and I went out for dinner last night. On the way out of the restaurant we say a father and son playing in the parking lot. We decided to hit any stops we saw on the way home. At about 6 different places there were at least a dozen people at each all out there playing and talking with one another.

Really cool stuff, even if the game is.... lacking.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• =GunR=Kenosi=GunR=Kenosi Posts: 12Player
    Wish there was more battling, but other than that its not bad...
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    TheTots wrote: »
    GF and I went out for dinner last night. On the way out of the restaurant we say a father and son playing in the parking lot. We decided to hit any stops we saw on the way home. At about 6 different places there were at least a dozen people at each all out there playing and talking with one another.

Really cool stuff, even if the game is.... lacking.

Very similar here. Family picnic tonight & it was interesting to see the various demographics all hitting the PokeStop in the pavilion.

I've heard leveling and captures get *very, very* difficult as you get to late teens // twenties. Basic low-level stuff spawns with hundreds of CP and really messes with the grind. I'm not sure if this is will be a deterrent and crash player numbers or if it'll just drive other forms of XP gain (hatching eggs, gym battles) to be the "late game" (lol? after a week?) meta.

I would love to see the internal numbers on how many "whales" are out there already, what levels they've hit, and how the played time histogram's looking.

There's also a really big skew in how accessible the game is based on living & working locations. A park downtown is 5+ PokeStops within 100 feet of one another, constantly filled with Lure modules and activity. My suburb's got nothing like that within miles. For now, that's creating a really cool dynamic with people congregating at hot spots, but I wonder if it's sustainable -- for how long will people change their routines?

Things to appreciate:
    - The release timing. This would've gone way differently in winter
    - The "community gaming" aspects. People finding friendly identity through Gym attacks with strangers is cool. Same for people gathering in the public spaces & being both social and active.
    - The nostalgia

Things to wonder about:
    - Gaming showing up in national media in ... well, some kind of light. I'm seeing some "Hey, everybody's out and about!" stories, some "Businesses see a great model: use PokeStop Lures to draw in customers" stories, and some "Criminals are mugging kids! Beware!" stories. I'm hesitant to say if this is all good or bad for fans of the medium.
    - Game longevity. There seems to be a bit more depth to it than appears at first glance, but the basic loops for searching, evolving, and fighting all depend really heavily on either $$$ or a big time investment at PokeStops. It'd be cool if PokeStop rewards dropped with the frequency of your visits -- that'd balance out the urban advantage -- but that also hurts the unique community aspects. Tricky.

On another note -- any opinions on the "Augmented Reality" aspect of it? I've seen some talk of whether VR isn't the future, AR is. More accessible. I wonder if that's just zeitgeist commentary, if this doesn't really mean anything for VR's future. Anyway. For AR in PoGo, the "Spikes"/power-gamers turn it off for easier catches, but the "Timmys" out there *LOVE* it. Seeing a Pokemon on the kitchen counter???? COOOL! It's definitely the killer feature for some of the people I've talked to.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    For those who didn't know yet, the game uses Google API so you can save some battery by downloading the map for offline use.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    Does this game have a built-in alert for "You Are About To Be Hit By A Green Freightliner With Dingleballs Hanging From The Mirror" or "Those Guys You Didn't Notice Behind You Are About To Mug You?"
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    It is fun, but here in the boonies it is pretty much useless.

I have seen it on the news almost every morning though, from people dying because they can't look up, to muggings, discovering bodies, lost animals and to businesses blocking Pokemon GO players from entering. It is pretty crazy how this game has taken over the world so quickly.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis