Concrete Jungle Map Contest: The Top 10!

We have taken a look through all of the map submissions for the Concrete Jungle contest and wow, great job guys! The map quality in this competition has been fantastic! It seems like every competition sees the quality bar raised a bit higher. It took us a good bit of time and debate, but we have now decided on our Top 10 maps for the competition. As a reminder Theme, Character, Fun, and Completeness are the core factors we are judging on. We have a real good handle on Theme, Character and, for the most part, Completeness right now. We have some ideas on Fun, particularly if a map was available during the preview event, but further playtesting (which cutting to Top 10 allows us to focus on) will be a major factor in us selecting our Final 3. Again, I want to thank all of our map creators on a job well done! Competition has been extremely fierce this time around. Now… on to the Top 10!

7raptus by SeVn.Max
Abuja Sunrise by EJtheK
Apocalyptic_X6 by RedBaron64-ITA
CSAR2 by -=}WoLvErInE{=-
Ghost Rider by =[SK]=Ronniii*DK
Hostile by Keebler750
Impact2ndWave by Modtools
Jungle Trash & Furious II by Fg.L@lOoze
Kaos by Gindungo_ANG
Rusneyev Night by -=)WoLvErInE{=-

Comments

• [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    edited July 2016
    Congrats to the makers who are in the top ten.

If you have decided a top 10, and basically taken everyone else out of the running, why did I get an email from Tots earlier asking for a summary and image for my entries?

Oh and a big thank you to the hundreds of people who gave me feedback on my maps so that I could make them better. Oh no, wait, the only feeback I got was from Rawster. Oh, welll I guess my maps were perfection, and didn't need changing. :p
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    We still want to feature each of the entries and give them all their own time in the spotlight.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    So playing with the Devs today and then some I might haver covered most of the maps.. Im sadly a little dissapointed with the maps, if 3 winners are picked my 2 clear ones right away are Csar and Hostile.. will have to le the rest battle for the 3rd spot.. Now I didnt play them all but most.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 480Beta Tester
    First of all, congrats to all the map makes and double congrats for those who made it in the top 10!
    I didn't play enough (yet) to form a solid opinion on all maps.
    As a first impression I like 7raptus, because it is polished-looking, doesn't have too much visual clutter, however the indoor corridors felt really narrow.
    I also like Hostile, it has enough object so it doesn't feel empty, but not too much to be obstructive.
    I really enjoyed Impact, maybe because of the AA3 memories (and the fact that I was the only one on the server who knew the map really well), I'm not a big fan of the objective, tho.
    In my opinion Kaos is an interesting map, I liked the theme, but it'd need some less angles and lighting changes for sure.

As I said, these are my personal first impressions, it might change as I play all maps a bit more.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    edited July 2016
    visual clutter

this pretty much describes most of the maps

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Congratulations on making the top ten guys! =)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    Wow. :open_mouth:

I really like playing Raptus and Ghost Rider and Kaos, among others. They're interesting! In fact, knowing those from BeerMe got me a few Dev kills recently. :p

These contests have really taught me to appreciate how much work the Devs must do to build a video game. Thanks, Devs, for this chance to learn and push into new territory.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my friend of thirty years, from back in our racing days, Duke-Audi, for his inspiration, motivation ....and constant target practice since the Editor came out!!! :+1:

:D heh heh

Good luck, all!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,166Player
    Good picks! looks like some blood, sweat and tears have gone into these maps. I'm all for the details so the clutter don't really bother me too much, I think it adds life and meaning to the feel and environment of the maps.

I don't usually pick out favorites, but since I've tooted CSAR2's horn for like.. forever, and lobbied for its inclusion to the game itself ever since the map hit the workshop.. it'd be wrong to not want it to be picked as a winner, it's a brilliantly and quite expertly made remake of a popular AA2 map that has been given an AAPG twist to fit this game, and boy does it fit. My only gripe with the mission is that the helicopter obj could use some incendiary support to stay true to its roots and some of the grass seems a little hidey due to its sheer overgrowth in parts, but it is what it is by design and limitations and these things don't really detract from the map itself, so really it's just me being picky.

As for the others, its fair game and I'd hate to be a judge.. so I wish you all good luck!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,401Player
    Well done to the top 10 map makers.
    I have to say Impact2ndWave is my favourite always liked it on AA3 and it was as popular as AA2 hospital glad to see it back.
    I'm all for the details so the clutter don't really bother me

Too much clutter creates a hide and seek game play, I was looking for good flowing maps that will help the comp community seeing how these are bdx maps.

Also I think many are too small

• -{XL}-It''sCrosser!-{XL}-It''sCrosser! Posts: 61Player
    Congratulations guys :) Well done.
    34pz8uc.png
    xlegion.it
    Referent of the Italian Community of AA
    Steam ID: Crosser

iMac 27"
    Intel Core i5-4570
    CPU @ 3.20 Ghz
    8 Gb RAM
    Nvidia Ge Force GT 755M

• ModtoolsModtools Posts: 279Player
    First i will thank you all.
    Impact2ndWave was the favorite of my maps too :-P

I love making maps and i hope you had fun too.
    No matter who will win the maps going into the game will be cool.

Poor devs, i cant decide which map is the best, the are all very good and fun to play.
    (hope doba will calm down and push out his versions of little italy =) )

Good Luck to all of you.
    And dont forget -> keep on gaming and mapmaking

I have some new projects in eye.

Gz your modtools

######################################
    to the stories behind the maps should the be posted here or in mapfeedback ?
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    Csar, raptus and Rus for me , i would of put hostile instead of Rus but for some reason that 5 story building seems really out of place and drags alot of the game play away from the rest of a good map , Good luck guys !
    -Flops- wrote: »
    I would of put hostile instead of Rus but for some reason that 5 story building seems really out of place

agreed .. the first time I played it I didnt even have enough time to see the building.. now I do any yes It seems like something Keebs was trying out.. then made a map around it.. the map around it makes sense, the building doesnt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,499Beta Tester
    This is hardly the place to discuss it, but my map is nowhere near finished because of some issues I was working through and the lack of feedback on my routes and chokes earlier in the build. So...I had to submit what I had. I learned a lot though. It's cool. :)

The map is supposed to have an old village that a bunch of new buildings have slowly grown up around, but it never got done.

It's tough to hear the criticism, but I don't like the state of the map right now either. Still, once I stop having so many map bugs and build issues because I'm such a newb, I'll be able to do better in the future (I hope) :+1: I'm looking at UE4 and Blender to take it to the next level.

I wish I could have had more critique all through the build cycle. Heck, I only just learned how to quickly move BSP items around for design changes :s
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ModtoolsModtools Posts: 279Player
    My Server is up and playable now again.
    Sorry for the inconveniance.
    Here it is for the EU Guys but also the US Mates.

CJC TOP 10 Server by Ultimate-Internet.de
    IP: 109.235.61.67:7778
  • |-OSG-|Eladd|-OSG-|Eladd Posts: 34Player
    I now I'm a little late on this but congrats to Top 10.

I did not expect to get there but enjoyed trying ;) Fact is I lost momentum and got busy in RL B)
    (I got annoyed with editor constantly crashing when I was trying to put lights in the map)

I did learn some new things thanks to Modtools and Wolverine etc. Most importantly I enjoyed OPENING your maps in the editor and seeing how you created your maps. That in itself is an eye opener! It amazing what you can pickup by dissecting others maps :3

Thanks for the help I had with trying to get a night map version. I failed terribly but at least I tried. Never released that version.

Again, congrats to Top 10. I know they'll end up in our server rotations.