Best tools for content creation?

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
edited July 2016 in Mission Editor - Support
I'm looking at learning how to create my own content ...meshes and textures, etc.

Blender is free, but it is darn awkward looking and 3DSmax is VERY not free. I already have Photoshop and use it regularly.

Any suggestions on how to get started for UE3/UE4 content without getting bogged down or going broke?
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    I used Blender for some time, it's a great tool - I feel like I barely scratched the surface of it's capabilities. It got me pull my hair a lot of times, but it's probably because it was my 1st ever 3D editor-type program. If you don't like how the UI looks, you can reconfigure it pretty easily to great extent - but I'd give the default-ish look a shot. (I mean you can hide some by-default UI elements what are not needed for your purposes and go from there.)
    It has a lot of nice Tutorials as well on various websites.

I didn't use any other program to have a valid opinion about them.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Thanks Levente. Have you brought any of the meshes into AAPG?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    I tried blender and the trial version of 3DSmax.. but at the time I was also learning the basics of the full Unreal editor.. so I found it all to be overwhelming and a massive time drain. It took me weeks to make simple models of a toilet and sink.. that's without making textures for them too, but thats a whole other process :lol:

In the end I decided to make use of readily available assets and those generously donated by the community.. rather than waste my life learning things I'd only ever use for this game.

If I ever decide on a career change one things for sure.. it wont be art, design or game development thats for sure.. I'm not a quitter but its one of the hardest things I've ever spent time and effort on.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 550Beta Tester
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Thanks Levente. Have you brought any of the meshes into AAPG?

Well, kind of. When I was working on my Alley port (what ultimately failed due to an unknown bug in UDK) I exported the mesh from AA3, opened it in Blender, gave it a custom collision model (if needed), and ported it into the editor. My luck was that the UV maps were ported from AA3, as I didn't really learn how to create them - but Blender could do that as well if you know how to do it.

I think any Blender mesh can be ported, maybe you'll need an addon to save them as .fbx, but ultimately it's not that hard. Collision model, UV map, material setup - you name it, it all can be done in my experience.

But as I said, I mostly used it for collision models, I have limited experience with UVs or materials.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
    Interesting. I'm definitely interested in this stuff. Who knows what will become of it.
    ______

• [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    Blender is perfect for what you want, it might look intimidating but its actually very easy to use.
    To export to the Unreal you use the fbx format. See here for more details. This is for UE4 but IIRC the export settings are the same for UE3.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    edited July 2016
    Well I use Blender and an "ahem" version of Maya(not for commercial purpose). You can download a student version if it is hard for the pocket and promise to use it only for non commercial purpose. I do not like Blender's UI but if you want content very quickly, Blender is the best. Also, UV mapping is pretty good in it. Supports python scripting too.
    Visit http://www.blendswap.com/ for free models( most are unrestrictive licences).
    Check out blender FB group (over 30,000 members) https://www.facebook.com/groups/2207257375/
    for any doubts.
    I really want to get back to making assets haha but Senior Year is distracting.

As for as textures are concerned, check out http://www.textures.com/(formerly cgtextures.com] , they have textures(free and paid) and tutorials. If you want high res you might also be intrested in https://poliigon.com/(30 day trial, there is some download limit, but download the ones you need within 30 days). If you like their content, don't forget to subscribe them.
    Of course, if you have a good camera creating your own seamless textures won't be hard as you already know photoshop. For making normal/bump maps , check out this one
    http://eat3d.com/blog/metalliandy/ndo-normal-map-creation-script-photoshop It is free.
    There are other options too.
    edited July 2016
    [This comment has been removed by the FBI for containing classified information.]
    I wish 3DSMax had a non-commercial option, because I'd like to learn it!

I'll look into Blender for sure. I have the latest version and, ya...there are lots of tutorials! (Better done than the UDK stuff, in my opinion.) :p
    ______

I wish 3DSMax had a non-commercial option, because I'd like to learn it!

I'll look into Blender for sure. I have the latest version and, ya...there are lots of tutorials! (Better done than the UDK stuff, in my opinion.) :p

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3ds-max
    Yes, I've seen that but I'm not in school, of course. I'd like to be! :)
    ______

Yes, I've seen that but I'm not in school, of course. I'd like to be! :)

You just need to have a .edu email address to download that.. ask your friend who is studying somewhere for a .edu email address.