Dynamic actor - Interp - Lighting...?

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
Question - Do we still have to light InterpActors on a separate channel as per the old UE3 tutorials or did they address that in later builds of the engine?

Right now I have my Interp elevator parts lit on lightng channel "Unnamed 1" with a dynamic light and I'm not sure I need to.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,121Beta Tester
    It shows already be done by default. Later version of the udk was updated.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Okay. Thanks Wolvy!!

I wondered why my rotating radar was working without it's own lighting channel! Good to know!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    Also some do not shadow and some meshes u have to switcheck shadowing on .
    Also some do not shadow and some meshes u have to switcheck shadowing on .

There is a reason for that. Be careful doing that, it can be a major hit on fps.
    yup i know i only switch shadowing on if needed m8
    I've tried to make a PointLightMovable move up the elevator shaft inside my elevator. It Bases off the elevator platform (InterpActor_0) just like all the other Interps that move (the walls and ceiling of the elevator, for instance.)

The PointLightMovable shows the green line for successful attachment to InterpActor_0, but it stays there at the basement and I lose the light as the elevator moves up.

I can't find any useful info in my Google-izing.

Anyone know how to solve this?

______

• [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    Don't Moveable and Toggleable lights disappear when people disable dynamic lights in the options? A prop or whatever is fine but seems kind of dangerous to build a map with gameplay stuff that users will see very differently.
    Good point. So....won't my interps like the elevator parts and player lighting be weird under those circumstances too? I don't have the experience to design for that. UGH.

I'm having enough problems!!! :p
    ______

InterpActors and players use LightEnvironments, so they work with static lights and you don't have to worry about the settings the players have.

As for having light inside the elevator, idk what you can do off the top of my head. Did you attach with hard attach? If attaching doesn't work, can't you put the light in the matinee instead?
    I've been having problems with lighting these actors. I'm not sure what's going on. I've had to add a skylight back in on Channel Unnamed1 to light just the interps. I don't get it. The doors have been going black too, even with UsePrecomputed turned on.

:(

Ya, I thought about adding the light to the matinees, but I had already stayed up till 5am so.....

:p
    ______

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Ya, I thought about adding the light to the matinees, but I had already stayed up till 5am so.....

:p

You'll be waking up with hands like this :lol:

hands-claw-set-1.jpeg

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

^^^ THAT!!!!! :o
    ______

Keebler that the prob I been having in attachments it shows attachment line but when move object the other stays still . Also probs with getting sound nodes to play round after round.
    I did some quick testing and had no problems attaching movable lights to InterpActors both through the Attachment tab in object properties and Attach to Actor node, so I don't know where you're having problems.

Also, it seems the Dynamic lights being off only affects static objects (something related with the lightmaps) so you can use them on the elevator and should light it and the players properly all times.
    edited June 2016
    Thanks, Dictator. I'll dig into this.

I wonder...as the elevator moves away from the start, It's like the light stays there, but maybe its just the BAKED light that stays. It's not like it goes black, just darker. That's the effect i'm trying to avoid...it looks weird.

Hmm.

See, there's no natural scene light in there, so I need to figure something out!
    ______

must be magic i just went on my crane test and it now lets me attach .... so it working in my editor now .
    and i did it same way that i have been doing it before and it always failed.?????
    I don't see how I'm going to get my map done by the deadline. I'm still learning the systems instead of designing. :(

I'm pretty lost.
    ______

I've been doing this since the original UE back in 1998 and I feel lost too.

Take a look at my Decerpt map and see how I attached actors, if you guys like.

My suggestion would be, if you get stuck on something, just leave it at the moment and move on to something else. You will eventually circle back to the issue and have better idea of resolving it.

The most important thing about all this......patience! If you don't have it, you'll fail. First and foremost, you have to enjoy doing it, or else, just forget about it.
    edited June 2016
    I've been putting a lot of time into this one. The problem seems two parts that make this case unique...my elevator has no scene light when the doors are shut, and, the elevator sticks down below the landscape. Also, you've got to light the character in there. Interps and characters don't get proper light when INSIDE something.

I HAVE got the light to Attach.

It appears that the game bakes light into the start position of the elevator light, and then goes dynamic?

The quality/intensity of the internal lighting changes as it moves up, and that is what I'm trying to address.
    ______