Initiatives needed

PhilippovichPhilippovich Posts: 218Player
Hello folks

I have been away for 6months and sad to come back and see that things are not going as good as they were when I left. The AAPG Versus finished, but did not continue. The AAPG versus ladder is not really busy. TWL is still on a "we will be back soon". And the ESL has its all time low in terms of activity. FN is dead and FGN has taken its place, for two seasons now.

I would like to hear what we need to do in order to get things back up on track. And what has be done, so we do not repeat those mistakes?

Should we try to have monthly draft nights? (one for NA and one for EU?)
Should we get more websites involved? or get everybody on to one (be it FGN, TWL, ESL or w/e)
Should or rather could we get AACM involved? and get some official support? I would gladly explain why eSports is a viable solution to maintain a high activity level. But are we being heard?
Do we need to actually get a proper maplist and ruleset that is standardized?

I am all "ears"

all the best, Philippovich

Comments

• -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 751Player
    You should aim for the people who are still interested with the game (inner only people, the new players). I would sugest yo uto start talking with people. I assume you have many people in your friend list, ask them and their friends what would make them join competition. If we start a serious competition now, there might be 3, max 4 teams for that.

Over 1.3k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Back to Grassroots.. Clans/Teams should be getting on those official servers or even players that join their own servers.. talking and getting to know the new blood and the regulars.. eventually signing them up for your team(s) and putting them into comps, then if were lucky both the comps and the game itself will grow.

I don't know.. that's how wheels used to go round.. how teams grew, how the good name spreads.. if you saw a good player you'd ask him if he wanted to join your clan. I've played this game for a couple years and I don't ever see that kind of thing happening, infact all I see is accusations being thrown around as soon as a person who believes he shouldn't get killed on a video game.. loses to a player lower ranked than himself. Some kind of high and mighty syndrome.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited June 2016
    Played some rounds yesterday with an old cK clan member and long time steam friend who didn't play for way longer than me. What can I say, after he got used to the controls again accusations kept flowing in. He was asked for his main account (which he was playing on), insulted etc., the usual stuff good players get. Other thing it showed is how casual/easy the game is. Don't think official servers are the right place to look for new people.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    That's the problem I see, and the reason why it's so hard to recruit.. people used to be tougher, take a beating.. now accusations fly left and right.. people rather call others out than learning the game.

Besides look at the numbers, there ain't no body to recruit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    edited June 2016
    It's a disease on this game. Unless you play in certain servers whom have the same groups of people who know each other playing in them, then there's no escaping it. You either hear it happening to others around you or your subjected to it yourself. I've seen new players accusing veteran players and I've even seen people I have respected as players doing it.

Necabo is right, officials are indeed the worse places for it, most common anyway. It's like almost nobody accepts a loss in this game, it's one of the reasons I don't play near as much as I used to, at first you scratch it off as a compliment in a way, your getting on someones nerves.. but then it starts to get old and you don't bother even trying just to spare yourself the drama, but in doing that it ends up becoming not fun anymore. I'm certainly not one to plead innocence or beg, I'd actually prefer to take the high road and get banned.. for being a lucker :lol:

Until more players are made to feel at home when playing and new players join teams who play comp then I cant see it getting any better anytime soon.

Do you guys think a barrier for some teams is because of the competitors? maybe they are too fearful to go up against established teams, casted matches are great and all, but who wants to have a game casted where there's a potential to be on the end of a 9-0 thrashing? I'm plucking at straws.. but there's got to be reasons why some clans/teams don't play comp, afterall there are many who play the game..
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• doogle!doogle! Posts: 676Player
    Mouse scripts and laser beams will be the death of AAPG comp.
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    edited June 2016
    Tbh, laser beams is not what is killing the game. It's really the lack of support by the players them selves and poor decision making by the devs.

All you guys do is point fingers all [mod edit] day. The chat from krux's stream is hilarious. There is a clear recoil bug on the spectate mode, [TOS Violation] even colts had no recoil.
    Laser beams doesn't make a player great, at all either. I for one did the worst in breach and i get ragged about recoil everyday i play aapg.

Yet I and some others try to help the community through pod cast, casting, making a new map and etc.

I am pissed about DC. They have two full teams and colts decides to pull out of the league because one [TOS Violation] player is butt hurt.

New teams won't even care to learn, they want immediate gratification for no time invested in the game.

Constant update of the game that breaks something. Currently the slide is broken to [TOS Violation]. If you're sliding and you get shot, it stutters. Should've left as it was. The game has inexplicable FPS drops. I played the entire finals with 80-90FPS or lower due to something beyond my understanding. Wasn't having that issue prior. Shadowplay was off.

A lot falls on the devs. The devs need to understand that this project of theirs has gone to [TOS Violation]. They need to fight for better decision making whoever is making them. You say yes sir, but as the designer you have the ability to show your boss that for x mount of dollars you're reaching about 1k players a month, and they are not even unique or of the age of 18. We are much older, which isn't very effective recruiting tool is it? other free games are designed better, optimized better. However we have no AAPG or ..sound focused game with AAPG style or else we would've moved already.

COD is a game designed to have high kill streak, it's boring and it requires no skill.
    CSGO has so much competition and it's fun with the right people. But we are all AA lovers. We have been here since Recon. We pay for this, at least the US residents do.

In the end, the game will continue as it is. pointing fingers and poor performance until it just crumbles and we all go play something else.

Everyone that has attempted to cheat in this game normally gets caught or stops. It's so blatant when you cheat. Take a look at a few names that have been suspected and they all got caught. I won't shame them because it's not my place or the place for it.
    But pointing fingers need to stop. That starts with comp players. The newbies will always cry, that's part of it.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
  • -=DA=-Movax-=DA=-Movax Posts: 42Player
    The accusations are unfortunate. The more people do it the more accepted it becomes. Personally, I assume people are playing fair, unless it is actually truly blatant. That is the problem though: Few people know what is possible and will say what someone is doing IS blatant. When I watch the same person I don't see them doing anything that is obvious. Is there a way to educate people what is possible?
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    The biggest problem I see with the small community is socializing. If you do at the start you are fine, if you don't people will treat you like a name, not a human being. It's easier to curse someone who you've never even heard talking, it's easier if you know nothing about him but the nicknames he uses.

I'll give you an example from 2 days ago when I decided it's time to check the game out again. I went with another account for privacy reasons and it took me 15 minutes until person x started complaining about me. Sounds pretty normal right but here's the thing. Person x is someone I played on the same private server with for the first half year I was playing aapg, I had him in my friends, talked to him a couple of times about comp because he wanted to try it. As I was on a different account he couldn't know it was me, thought I was arkeiro and just went off with the insults.

Correct me if I misjudged but from the few times I played with arkeiro he is the quiet type of person when it comes to in-game voice chat. I've gone over to that myself slowly while getting to know the community better, it's less stressful that way for me at least. Also once they have your names, there is usually no escape. It doesn't even matter anymore how good you play or if you try to explain your gameplay, they don't listen anymore.
  • Sr.GatilhoSr.Gatilho Posts: 51Player
    To revive comp at this point(and maybe the game) there is only one way to go: Money! Money! Money! Moneeey!

InvIrokis +1
  • [Prt_Dictator][Prt_Dictator] Posts: 275Player
    Very few admins actually take the time to spectate people they suspect, idk why there is so much hatred towards dying in a video game. Yes, its a low skill game but there still has to be a winner and instead of being glad that there is still a few people out there that can make fun challenging fights, they resort to denial and doubt to protect their ego and internet points, which is sad.

As far as the comp scene, I respect the guys that kept playing and trying to get more attention to it but the game is just not suited for comp imo. Its like trying to get high level tic-tac-toe games going, yes you can do it but the flaws of the game are so blatant that there is no point.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    I think you guys need more Comp maps to play so it stays interesting.

However, don't look at me, because I really have no idea what I'm doing yet. I do want to learn but....who has the patience to give info and develop the ideas needed for a good map?

No one.

"You think too much," they say.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    It's been mentioned before that the interest level new maps give lasts only for a few hrs, after that it's boring again..

Our problems lie much further than maps, but that's all we ever see in updates, endless bug fixes and a map or two.. if that's how it's gonna be.. pull the plug, let's not waste anymore time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    edited June 2016
    The game definitely needs some big updates to get interest. If not, then let's move on to AA5 (if there will be one) on a new engine. AAPG was sadly a flop.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    The game definitely needs some big updates to get interest. If not, then let's move on to AA5 (if there will be one) on a new engine. AAPG was sadly a flop.

I disagree. How is it a flop after aa3 low community and the amount of games that may "steal" players. I liked the beta alot, this version still has good things, not perfect, but not a flop imo.

edited June 2016
    Arkeiro wrote: »

I disagree. How is it a flop after aa3 low community and the amount of games that may "steal" players. I liked the beta alot, this version still has good things, not perfect, but not a flop imo.

I'm not saying it's a bad game (it still never came close to living up to its potential), but from a publicity standpoint it's a flop. The game averaged more than 2000 peak players for two months in its entire existence... both of which were major release dates. I know any future AA game will never get to the point that the originals were, but the numbers AAPG garnered have been nothing short of a disappointment.

From the start the game had free advertisement just from having the AA name. If the game was done right from the beginning it would have been fairly popular. Too many old AA fans tried the game and gave up on it. I hope a future AA game goes back to what made the franchise popular, but with a more modern gaming feel.
    Arkeiro wrote: »

I'm not saying it's a bad game (it still never came close to living up to its potential), but from a publicity standpoint it's a flop. The game averaged more than 2000 peak players for two months in its entire existence... both of which were major release dates. I know any future AA game will never get to the point that the originals were, but the numbers AAPG garnered have been nothing short of a disappointment.

I understand, but you also know that keeping 600 out of 2000 its almost 1/3 which is good. Because not everyone who tests a game will keep playing it. We needed more than those 2k, but after a flop (AA3) and also nowadays people have easy access to many other games... it's tough. We jus tcan't afford loosing more players and should be growing, slowly but growing...

edited June 2016
    My personal minimum expectation for the game is Insurgency type numbers. I really don't think that's asking for terribly much. If you want to compare the two:
    http://steamcharts.com/app/222880 - Insurgency
    http://steamcharts.com/app/203290 - AAPG

Here's another thing. Insurgency being a paid game has 2,729,302 owners. AAPG being a free game has 1,854,967. That's about a one million owner difference. What drives that difference? I'm sure part of it is steam putting the game on the front page when it goes on sale, but also I think word of mouth plays a big role. I rarely, if ever, have heard anything positive about AAPG outside of this forum.
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 445Player
    edited June 2016
    AAPG is not a fun game. Any "fun" that you experience is the nostalgia from old or for new players experiencing it all for the first time. It's unfortunate this game tanked so quickly. There was a lot of hope for it.

They really need to start at square one and look at what they can do to pull this franchise together. AA2 had a crazy amount of depth that everyone appreciates. AA3, while too blue toned, had good (not great) graphics and some unique elements as well.

AAPG visuals and sounds are poor. Mechanics/netcode doesn't mesh well together. This BDX/FLO stuff is dumb.

Too much to cover. I don't think they have the time or resources to revive this franchise.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    My personal minimum expectation for the game

American Exceptionalism isn't the draw it was when AA/AA2 were big. I suspect many outlets and players don't particularly care to cover what they may consider military propaganda, regardless of what the AGS may say or feel on that front.

600 concurrent players translates to over 1,000,000 relatively engaged views of the loading screen videos per month. Who says that doesn't count as a success to the DoD?