Demorec

Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
Has anyone tried it? Mentioned this in another thread but when I started my demorec I dropped from 190FPS to 50FPS. I can use a third party recording program and not lose any frames. Thoughts?

EDIT: btw how to do you stop it? I had to play a whole set with people calling me a baddy :(

Comments

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Demorec runs on the server, not on your client. You shouldn't lose a single frame.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    What command were you running? There are some that really eat at your performance (startMovieCapture, for example) without accomplishing anything productive.

Tots is right that correct demorec use won't affect you, though it was possible for me in the past to start my client eating up CPU cycles for no reason. It sounds like you managed to do the same.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Apparently there is partial client-side functionality. The best thing to do is get a hold of the file from the server.

Remember, this is NOT video....it is a list of locations and player-states that is played back in your client, which then has all the info to replicate the gameplay it recorded.

It's still incomplete and buggy, but this feature will be amazing when finished!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Apparently there is partial client-side functionality. The best thing to do is get a hold of the file from the server.

Remember, this is NOT video....it is a list of locations and player-states that is played back in your client, which then has all the info to replicate the gameplay it recorded.

It's still incomplete and buggy, but this feature will be amazing when finished!

Yes. When you run demorec from the command console you will notice a performance drop and in fps.
    googley avatar aapg

edited May 2015
    Also remember that "recording" the data with demorec is not the same as "playing" the file with demoplay.

So, you need to get the full demorec file from the server, put it in your \demos folder and then use "demoplay FILENAME" to get it to work.

Starting demorec from your client will result in captured info, but not the entire round from all angles.....just what YOUR player saw, as I understand it.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    I typed demorec in my console, and as I said it ruined me for a whole set.

I will do a before and after SS to show you guys

• Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 370Moderator
    I typed demorec in my console, and as I said it ruined me for a whole set.
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Yes. When you run demorec from the command console you will notice a performance drop and in fps.
    that's because:
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Also remember that "recording" the data with demorec is not the same as "playing" the file with demoplay.

So, you need to get the full demorec file from the server, put it in your \demos folder and then use "demoplay FILENAME" to get it to work.

Starting demorec from your client will result in captured info, but not the entire round from all angles.....just what YOUR player saw, as I understand it.

The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
    I'm not sure the client-side recordings have been properly implemented yet (or even intended). Definitely not optimized! As I understand, this is just stuff kicking around in the UE that the Devs are toying around with. Even the server side one is real sketchy still IMO.

Server versions of the Opt-ins (ie if you run Host, Dedicated or even a hacked folder instance) will automatically have the Demorec Spectator showing in the spectator list, indicating it's saving data. It's ON by default in one of the ini's.

TIP - If you keep a copy of the entire Opt-in folder, you can still play any demorec file that you get from the server, even after the Opt-in is over. Just start AAGame.exe in the \binaries\win32 folder. This is handy if you're a little rushed to make that super-duper highlight movie you've been working on. :D Just make sure your demorec file is in the \demos folder.
    ______

Yeah sorry I didn't go back and get pics just didn't have the time yesterday. But if a DEV could please weigh in on this so I know for next time the best way to demorec. as I said this butchered my frames

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,029Moderator
    demorec at its current edition isn't for the clients, so unless you run a server its off limits.