Falling through Bridge

Teaser :pleased:

Italy4_zpsorcxgapa.jpg~original

So I keep falling through, meaning no collision? I tried adding but didnt work... I know Im doing it wrong dont have to tell me :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    edited May 2016
    If you check out the thumbnail for some meshes in the editor, they say "No Collision Model!" at the bottom in orange. You can't just turn on collision in the asset, because then you'd have to save it, which isn't possible the way this is set up.

So....you have to grab the Builder Brush, use Geometry Mode and start shaping your own collision around it. Then "Add Volume > Blocking Volume" but be warned...this method requires tweaking so you don't sink into the object, or float.

You can now say to Wolvy, "Ya, I vertex, bro!"

:D

You could export the object to a 3D editor, set the collision, and reimport it into your package, but I don't have a clue on that stuff. Sorry.

Hey, pretty cool by the way!!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    edited May 2016
    Or you can do it a super sneaky way (like I usually do things lol) and place a static mesh wall/floor that has collision just a fraction UNDER the non colliders surface, essentially just hiding it insied the bridge, if placed just right there will be no flickering (Z fighting) and you should be OK to then walk on it without looking like your feet are sinking into the cobble :mrgreen:

It's the easy way out and will save you a lot of time.. normally I'd say do it the right way like Keebler pointed out, but for what you need you should be able to get away with it on that bridge :+1:

Just be sure that the bridge has a physical material assigned to it, you'll know it has if it shows decals (damage) when you shoot it, if not.. you'll want to add one.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Sure, Uni-Gen...but, what about the sides and railings? :p
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    The railings have collision.. just the bridge, and yes I've already done that sneaky method.. so I might as well do it again..

What's the point of no collision on assets?

It's like, thanks for the cool bridge, Oh but you can't use it lel

edited May 2016
    Fair points :+1: Although, them railings should have collision, unless they are a part of the bridge mesh? I also may be wrongfully assuming here that the player is not meant to be down in that river there.. so it wouldn't affect gameplay if there was none to the sides. If that's not the case then the longer and more complex way he'd need to be going :lol:

Myself, I'd non-uniformally transform a couple of brick wall meshes to the shape and size of the bridge (just the parts you walk over), sink them ever so slighlty into the bridge to hide them, along with them slight lips there on the top, and call it a triumph of ingenuity :lol:

edited May 2016
    I think some of the "no collision model" assets are just stuff that's been added for decoration for the most part, things that are not meant to be accessible to the player in the official maps, scenery and stuff out in the distance etc.., so the devs didnt bother to generate collision for them as they didn't need it (saves time).

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited May 2016
    fair enough.. well Im pretty much done .. what do I do now? whats the process? does someone have a write up on how to release a map... I mean I can save to my disk .. but now im lost :proud:

.. and after its cooked and out there .. I can make changes and update somehow too .. I see others doing it

gonna try this..

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 549Beta Tester
    Take a look at Slums, I believe it uses the same bridge. For collision it has a simplified mesh (appears as semi-transparent green) which is hidden in the game.

If you have trouble selecting it (because it is transparent) try turning on wireframe mode.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,054Player
    So y not use normal walls that have collision for your floor . Perfectly align them to your floor even flickering . Then change wall asset to hidden . Prob solved .
  • [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    I think some of the "no collision model" assets are just stuff that's been added for decoration for the most part, things that are not meant to be accessible to the player in the official maps, scenery and stuff out in the distance etc.., so the devs didnt bother to generate collision for them as they didn't need it (saves time).

Or like that rock, the devs had to remove the collision because it was causing crashes or glitches. The most annoying one for me was when they removed the collision from a wall with window mesh that I had used 50 times on a map and didn't notice, and people were crawling through walls :)
    Yes, I'd like to see a changelist for map makers when this happens...!
    ______