Cant find terrain

So I upgraded from the mission editor to the full editor. Got my terrain made, hills, valleys. Go to add some grass, cant find any in the content browser. I see some that says 2D on it, but it will not "auto create" level in terrain editor. I was able to get sand to work, but I dont want sand. Where is all the grass located? Searched and searched....

ANd yes I loaded packages.

Comments

• [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    Are you looking for a grass texture to place on the terrain, or actual grass assets that rise out of the ground like bushes/trees?
  • =-EbU-=^FireManDan^=-EbU-=^FireManDan^ Posts: 21Player
    Um I think landscape editor, the one where you can paint the hills and valleys.

Well I will actually want both grass, the texture to place on the terrain and the mesh for more details. I was doing 1 thing at a time, but ill take both answers :-)
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    edited May 2016
    In the Unreal editors, general, place-able objects are called Static Meshes. They have been pre-made in another 3D program and included for use in the asset folders. Because everyone has those same folders, when a map has that asset we all see it, and don't have to have huge map files full of all of those....they come with the game.

You can create your own Static Meshes and import them into your map, but they will make your map more of a download. This is a topic for some other time.

Landscape is a special type of object in the Unreal Editor. It can be molded, edited, added and subtracted and textured on a large or small scale, unlike Static Meshes which you need another special program for.

In the Content Browser, don't look for textures, or physmats or other items to start out with. That stuff is complex.

Just add Static Mesh "actors" as they are called, such as rocks, plants, grass and trees, or modify your Landscape shape and colours. If you click on the "L" near the top left below Modes in the Advanced Editor, it will bring up some landscape tools. You need to return to the default Camera mode to move your Static Meshes around.

Hover over different buttons with your mouse to see what they are called.

Also, start with a default map template and don't try to AUTO CREATE anything! :)

The latest game doesn't use "Terrain" tools, just the Landscape.

Number One editor rule though? Back up your work frequently!!!!! :+1:

Happy exploring!

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    I can physically get the landscape built, but I want to make the surface grass. Cant find any texture, material, whatever to create a grass map.
    Ok I was able to get all the terrain built that I wanted for my first map in the full editor by following the video above.

2 questions:
    When I go to test play I get a message saying "This map is using externally referanced package that wont be found in game and will be broken"
    When I followed the tutorial above, I did not see anywhere a package named "LandscapeMats" so I somehow created one named after my map.

Second, How do I get a bunch of static mesh of grass/trees to appear all over the map for cover/concealment?
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    edited May 2016
    Quick workaround :) You can add a grass material to your Target layers (some map templates do not have it so you need to add it in yourself)

1 - Open up landscape mode
    2 - Scroll down to target layers and click the 'edit' bubble
    3 - At the bottom there will be a box called Add new layer/Layer name
    4 - Type grass into that box and click on the plus icon to add a grass layer
    5 - add a grass physical material to the texture so it acts and sounds like grass when interacted with (shot/walked on etc..)
    6 - load all packages in your content browser by right clicking the AAGame Folder and choosing load all packages
    7 - Search in Physical materials for the grass physical material, click on it so its highlighted in the content browser window
    8 - Add the fizz mat to the grass layer by clicking on the little left facing arrow, next to phys mat in the grass layer
    9 - If it aint working check through steps 1 to 8 again..
    10 - Paint your landscape with grass :)

Also, since I'm pants at explaining in text.. here's a screenshot with some handy circles slapped on it :)

f56c60.jpg
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Adzic, I tried that. Instead of their being grass, it is the same old blue checkard texture.
    You're painting the texture while holding down CTRL?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    yes sir. I can find a couple grass textures, but no actual grass material. I followed the tutorial video but cant get anything to work. I tried azdic way with no luck. With adzic, I type in grass, hit the plus and the layer appears. But in that little preview box its the blue checkard. I can add the grass psycmat. But there is still no grass.

Im so frustrated im about to say f*** it
    edited May 2016
    I just did it on my test map to be 100% sure the way I advised works and it does..

28r1x15.jpg

I see no reason why it would be different for you, we are in possession of the same files and same editors, I'm afraid you might be doing something wrong, somehow.

Actually, I need to learn this too...! Every time I have tried in the past, it doesn't work either.
    ______

edited May 2016
    Unfortunately, I have found that my workaround up there only works on 'some' map templates. Namely the ones where grass has been added to the landscapes main landscape material instance (for lack of better terms - what holds all the texures and materials in a group to use on that landscape), but getting into adding that stuff goes WAY above my basic knowledge :(

I'm gonna assume that to get what you want you'd need to make a new Landscape and add all the ground cover materials you'd want to use in the map, because if you go changing things to the ones already there, we all know what happens when you start editing the stock packages.

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 642Player
    fully load content browser , click the texture tab type in grass and you will see all the grass textures ,
    Lobo, I got that far. To my understanding by what I have found on the forms so far is you can not put a texture down, it has to be a material. I can create a material by following a tutorial. The current issue is, on the left hand side there is no package for it. First time I created a new package, made material, saved, then my editor started crashing from a bad save of packages. Deleted all files and reinstalled.

Now, I save package, no crash. However I can not find the package ANYWHERE in the package list. Even with a search. However if I go into mydocuments I can find it.
    The 'package' should be your map package....ie your current map file name.

This is basically creating a custom item that is included with the map. If you save it any other way, you will get an 'externally referenced package' which is a no-no since we ship ONE map file through Steam, not several files and supporting packages.
    ______

Keebler, the first time that is exactly the issue I had the first time. So how do I create a package without getting the error?
    Simple. DON'T create a package. You save the item IN THE MAP which is it's own package. :)

Note, it does increase the file size.
    ______

ok, how would you do that? either i get an error that says it cant be created in a cooked package or create a new one. Not sure how to save it in the map.
    You're working on a cooked map? If so, that doesn't sound good...

I know custom assets can be saved into a regular map, but we'd better get someone like Wolvy or someone more skilled than me to outline it...

:o
    ______