Most (if not all) clans have a server, right?

[ELVIS][ELVIS] Posts: 20Player
edited May 2016 in Units (Clans)
I am out of options.

My last ditch effort is pleading for you server admins to change your default port from 7778 to something else. Maybe 8777, 7798, 7788... just something other than 7778.

I've been talking with [Dev]K0$H3R about my issue of not being able to join any server using port 7778 and he has been trying his "butt" off to help me! Thank you! He is now waiting to hear back from the network guys... because, well, he's out of ideas (though like I said, he put in a "heck" of an effort!).

Please (I want to start playing this game again.. was here in 2003ish, 1.2 or 1.3 up till beta for 3.0), for the love of God... change the default port to something other than 7778. =)

There are a few servers out there that use a port other than 7778, but they are empty (most of the time, I've gotten a few games in here and there).

Servers changing ports is my last hope. If you do change your port, would you please post here and let me know. Thank you.

edit.. had some tos vios.

Comments

• -ew.raw--ew.raw- Posts: 175Player
    Amazing you have such a problem and its not fixable.
    Idk what kind of process it would be to change the port when we are using a real gameserver provider. I guess it comes automatically i have no idea.
    1409304775_2240089.gif

AA2 2005 - 2015
    AA:PG 2015-
  • -=NoBS=-Reyfox_I-=NoBS=-Reyfox_I Posts: 65Beta Tester
    And if you change the port, would others be able to join is the next question. Glad the KO$HER and Keebler are trying to help. There really should be no real reason why you can not connect if the port settings are good in the router and ISP.
    Now, not sure if turning OFF Win10 firewall would help.
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    edited May 2016
    The question is why YOU can't access that port...

So let's start from the beginning. Can you access the port without a router? Meaning connecting straight to your Modem. If you have a 2 in 1. Disable routing.
    If that is still an issue disable firewall and any other antivirus/security program in your computer. Actually, just remove it specially if it's mcaffee or norton security.

try again.

If that doesn't work you need to see if the ISP has that port blocked.

Please reply once you've done each thing individually, do not change multiple options in one go.

We may have to port forward
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
  • [ELVIS][ELVIS] Posts: 20Player
    edited May 2016
    Hey! =)

The win10 firewall is off, defender is off, my antivirus is off (I use avast). I've spoken with the isp (mediacom) on numerous occasions and each time they have assured me that the port is open. I've also tried port forwarding.

The only thing I haven't tried yet (since I've been trying to play) is the router thing. Not sure how to disable routing (it is a 2 in 1).

edit- I just looked online, I'm thinking the style that mediacom gave me is a bit older maybe? There is no option in the interface that I have to do that. Actually, not much to do anything with....
    Then I would contact them and say something about this. While they are telling you the port is open, you can't access anything.
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    There is a way to disable routing incase you want to use a third party router. Give me the model name.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
    Hi Ren.. I've spoken to three different folks and they each assured me that the port was open on their end. Though the last guy told me I should just buy my own wifi modem/router, which isn't in my budget right now.. =/ . Anyone know of a very cheap wifi combo or a very cheap modem and wifi router? I don't even know what to look for (what kind I would need). Though, I know the connection is a cable one.

Hi rokis, the model is Hitrontechnologies/CGN- A400
    edited May 2016
    Ok, well.. I bit the bullet and I found some cheap stuff on Amazon... I ordered this (less than 50$ for both of them. I should have them by the weekend) :

Netgear N600 Wireless Router - Dual Band Gigabit (WNDR3700) and
    Netgear CM400-1AZNAS DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with Up to 340 Mbps Download and Upload Speed

The last guy I spoke to at mediacom said I should get my own, he said that sometimes the ones they use aren't that great and they can cause problems. He said there may be an issue with the one I have that is preventing that port from being accessed. So... here's hoping...

But if that doesn't fix the issue, I am out of ideas and will just have to say AAPG is just a no go for me.

unless .. folks change their ports from 7778 .. =)
    I am surprised that they didn't offer you another one. But if this works, you'll be in business and I can shoot the stuffins out of ya..... it's been a LONG time coming!
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
    Hahaha Rey.. it has been a long time!! =) .. I'll be easy pickins though, I don't get enough practice time in on the server I can get on (it's usually empty) <-- making excuses already! =D

I didn't even bother to ask for another one to be honest. I spoke to another tech and he basically told me the same thing .. "you'll be better off just getting your own to use" (after reassuring me that the port is open =) ..
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    "Whenever an application wants to make itself accessible over the network, it claims a TCP/IP port, which means that port can’t be used by anything else. So if you need to use an in-use port, how do you tell what application is holding it?"

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Elvis, the game does have some training!
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,159Beta Tester
    Yes, Rey is currently in it. ;)
    Ah... my friend Wolverine.... where have you been? I haven't seen you in the game in AGES! Ducking me?
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
    Hey Keebler, that's a nifty little program. Thank you. I ran it and nothing is showing up as using port 7778 ...

Well, my biggest thing right now I think is that I'm not sure how the maps are run ... you know, points to watch for, etc... But, as soon as I get this stuff up in running and able to actually play with a full server for more than a match or 2.. I should be alright... I think. =)
    edited May 2016
    Well, I got my router yesterday... still waiting on the modem... =/ .... sooooon Rey ... soooon.. =p
    Keep in the info coming!
    Mr. aweSOMEness®™
  • flubbyflubby Posts: 50Player
    Try this in the command line (change localhost to the aapg servername):

P:\>telnet localhost 7778
    Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port 7778: Connect failed

If you see that message the port is either not open or blocked.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    Nice, Flub!! :+1:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    That was an excellent idea, and I got -- "Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port 7778: Connect failed".

Made yet another call to Mediacom (told them the results of this) and they assured me that they are not blocking the port from their end, that it is open.

They suggested I try a different modem and or router, that it may have something to do with this particular one that I am using now... faulty, something messed up with it, somehow it's blocked via the modem/router itself, etc and so on...

I should have the modem I ordered off amazon tomorrow (I'm hoping).