Who is buying nvidia 10 series?

.dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
edited May 2016 in R&R
I held off on GTX 900 series knowing the 10 series was gonna be top tier. Turns out it is.

GTX 1080 is 2x faster than nvidia's flagship titan X and also faster than to 980's in sli.

A GTX 1070 is also faster than the titan X.

GTX 1080 may 26th
GTX 1070 june 10th

The 1070 retailing @ 379$ US, so not to bad of a price to be better than a 1000$ card and as well as better than all 900 series cards even 980ti.

:pleased:

GeForce GTX 1080
GPU Architecture--- Pascal
Frame Buffer --- 8 GB GDDR5X
Memory Type- Speed --- 10 Gbps
Boost Clock Relative --- 1.4x
Actual --- 1733 MHz
Max Res --- 7680x4320@60Hz (8K)
GeForce GTX 980
GPU Architecture --- Maxwell
Frame Buffer --- 4 GB GDDR5
Memory Type- Speed --- 7 Gbps
Boost Clock Relative --- 1x
Actual --- 1216 MHz
Max Res --- 5120x3200
Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    Wow. And here's me with my little 780! :p

Sounds like good prices. What's the catch?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player
    Prob wait and see what AMD has up their sleeve but so far I'm very pleased with what NV released today!
  • iNv|mikEy2kiNv|mikEy2k Posts: 96Player
    900 series about to be cheap AF
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Not that I need an upgrade.. atm 970 handles pretty much whatever I throw at it.. but you just never know.. I cant wait for initial benchmarks to start coming out... Never knew they announced pricings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    I only just bought a 970 dammit :lol:

Gotta love tech, but is it like buying an iphone 7 if you already have a 6S?
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,566Player
    9jd3Qcv.gif
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,413Beta Tester
    Nero! You cray! :p
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited May 2016
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    9jd3Qcv.gif
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Nero! You cray! :p

LOL it's true though. Buying a Nvidia 10 series will finally be money well spent. You won't be getting cheaped out by nvidia. The performance increases are usually about 15%. It is said a GTX 1070 is 50% better performance than 970 or its the 1060ti that is 50% better than gtx 960 and 1070 is 30% not 100% sure. As for the 1080 the chart says it all.

It's dirteeeh
    NVIDIA+GTX1080+event+1.jpg

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/a93ad15d3bd4f03312293b8e601f0431/203788441/NVIDIA+GTX1080+event+1.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/06/nvidias-new-gtx-1080-gpu-is-even-faster-than-the-titan-x/

If this was the old nvidia the 1080 would be the titan or maybe even milk it till next titan and put the 1070 as this gens titan and price it @ 1000$ or then have the 1070 be a 1090ti for 799$...But nope 379 for 1070 vs 349 for 970 and 599 for 1080 vs 549 for 980.

It often bemuses me how a company can justify setting any sort of high cost of tech thats always in flux, always evolving and improving.. and all whilst keeping a healthy returning customer base.

Nvidia rep - What you paid £300 for a 970? unlucky my son.. there's a new card that can double your GPUs performance coming in a few months that wont cost an awful lot more than you paid for that 3 month old dinosaur :lol: but we expect that you don't care.

I cant even imagine what someone is feeling if they spent £900 on a Titan.

If you spent that kind of money within the last long while you're an idiot.. Pascal was not secret stuff. We all knew it was coming so unless these people had no choice, they had to upgrade they can't really complain... but if you upgraded because you wanted to.. well that's just stupid

I did it through need, (my 6970 was dying a death of a thousand pixels) not through want. But I do agree I have been an idiot for turning from AMD :lol:

• TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I was planning on building a new dedicated VR rig this summer, now I definitely will after seeing the new cards.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,114Beta Tester
    FunPolice wrote: »
    I was planning on building a new dedicated VR rig this summer, now I definitely will after seeing the new cards.

Don't forget the green room and diffidently don't forget the invitation to Wolverine to come and check it out. :+1:
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    edited May 2016
    I have a GTX 770 that's only 2 years old. It still runs most games perfectly fine on high settings. With the slow rate that gaming graphics are moving these days (thanks to consoles), you can easily stretch a video card for a good 3-4 years. I figure that in 2 or so years when it's time to upgrade, these new cards coming out will be really cheap, so it'll work out nicely :smiley:
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    If I played a game that offered ultra wide at 4K I'd be on the waiting list for a 1080 already.. however I don't... sooo pointless for AA

What this does mean to AA playerbase is that a LOT of people will be selling 970's 980's cheap !! so get on those deals

• =IK=Wonkss=IK=Wonkss Posts: 92Player
    ccor Polaris is amd's new card coming out with the same speeds as NVidia (rumored). should be announced around june and if amd goes same way it should be cheaper then the NVidia cards with same performance. no one will know till benchmarks come out as we all know computer is only as fast as its slowest component. thumbs way up on the 1070/1080's though I think I'm going to grab a 1070.
  • .dcG-ccoR^.dcG-ccoR^ Posts: 84Player
    If you have a 900 series and you're getting a steady 122 fps there's no real reason to upgrade (for this game) Honestly its best to wait til HBM overtakes GDDR. Probably be early 2017, at that point your buying into something that isnt just a marginal upgrade in GPU architecture
    edited May 2016
    .dc-coR^ wrote: »
    If you have a 900 series and you're getting a steady 122 fps there's no real reason to upgrade (for this game) Honestly its best to wait til HBM overtakes GDDR. Probably be early 2017, at that point your buying into something that isnt just a marginal upgrade in GPU architecture

1080 has GDDR5X better than DDR5.

@wonks Polaris is apparently going to be cheap and unable to compete with 1080. There is rumors amd is now going to release vega in October along side Battlefield release. To me that would mean Polaris is going to be terrible. Vega in october will compete with 1080. But when nvidia releases titan and 1080ti with HBM2 it will prolly destroy vega. http://videocardz.com/59808/amd-vega-gpu-allegedly-pushed-forward-to-october

Also check this out: http://videocardz.com/59871/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-firestrike-and-3dmark11-performance

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-3DMark-Performance-V2.png

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    I am going to try and get the 1070. I would have to sell my R9 280 though to make up some of the price. I'd really like a card to let me play my games on super settings. :P

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
    I was going to get a 1070 as well but now Im strongly considering 1080 this is insane.
    http://videocardz.com/59882/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-overclocking-performance
    NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Overclocking-3DMark-Performance.png