Unequal Team Sizes?

Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
I know there's a couple of really good reasons NOT to do this (including what happens at side swap), but I wondered if anyone has ever got unequal team spawns to work, and what any thoughts are on the topic?

After playing Delta's "Maximaz Securidat" in the early days, I was sold on the idea of really difficult odds forcing people to work together.
______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited April 2016
    I gave up experimenting with team changes a long time ago, (for example having 32 players, over 24) as sadly nothing wants to work once you get out of the editor, not that I have a friends list 32 strong worth of willing testers in any case.. but I suspect the game code prevents us changing certain defacto settings, then there would be the obvious issues, for example the UI itself don't have enough space to support more than the FLO value. I've even tried to get proper COD style re-spawning to work, for some good old FFA action, but no joy :(

I have no idea if having one team with less players than the other could/would work, I've never dabbled with that.. perhaps its as easy as setting individual team sizes in their respective command/insertion points, no idea.. but I wish you luck!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    I think the difficulties outweigh any benefit. I just wondered. I like the idea of an Overmatch style.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited April 2016
    I think you'd hit difficulties with the team autobalance setting. It likely doesn't have logic to handle forced imbalance built in.

If the server autobalance is disabled, you could probably force players onto teams in your desired ratio through Kismet, though my memory on whether that'd work is a bit rusty. It's definitely not a "clean" solution from a programming POV.

As Adzic suggests, I never successfully respawned players through Kismet. I'd think that forced teamswaps and kills during warmup would allow players to redeploy, though, if you set up the appropriate commands for team assignment.

Going over 12 players on one side... no idea if there's anything in-game that would prevent that, though the spectator interface probably wouldn't like it. I wouldn't expect it to crash the client, but who knows? I'd wonder about how the team select UI handles increased or side-specific limits. Again, you might try to "lie" on the map info about some of that to get the UI to work if it breaks and force player assignment through Kismet if possible.

All of this could definitely be accommodated through the server running a modified game client, but that's not officially endorsed. I also don't know if there are still any players working on any of those projects, it's outside my personal experience.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    edited April 2016
    The biggest issue besides the bugs that might crop up would seem to be the problem with taking a defense team of 12, let's say, and at round swap, what do you do with them when you switch sides to a team of 6 assault?

It would have to be the old way with no mid match swap. (That was how AA2 worked, wasn't it?)

Just fun to think about. I'd want custom weapon loadout for the assault team and something like indiginous weapons for the defense, and see what happens.

:)
    ______