M67 Grenade effective range

SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
Recently saw a post from [Dev]CaterpillaR giving details on the M67. For everyone's benefit, here's the result of that. Special thanks to Keebler for running some sanity checks for me.

e5Zv7ZW.png

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    edited April 2016
    Now, to read that graph, I'd suggest people try to understand it this way: Take the instant damage and add the bleed damage so that you get the total if you didn't heal.

So, at 10M, it looks like about 18 instant and 8 bleed for approximately 26 total damage at that distance., unless you heal yourself quickly.

It looks like you'd have to be over 4.8-ish M away from a grenade explosion before you won't bleed out from one.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited April 2016
    Yep! 70% of the damage comes in instantly, 30% comes in as bleed. Total potential damage taken is the sum of both lines, exactly as Keebler says.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    How consistent is this?
    edited April 2016
    How consistent is this?
    There's no variation in the numbers for grenades as far as I know; they behave exactly the same every time. If what you're seeing disagrees with the numbers, it's most likely a typo in either my math or the numbers I'm working from.

The source post:
    Frag grenades deal damage based on if you are within the inner damage area or the outer area. The inner area is from zero to eighteen feet. The outer one extends out to forty two feet. Damage in the inner area ranges from 500 (i.e. holding it) to 50 damage at eighteen feet. The outer area drops to a mininum of 10 damage. 30% of grenade damage is dealt as bleed damage, thus a 100 point grenade would deal 70 instant damage and 30 bleed damage.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    Saccho wrote: »
    How consistent is this?
    There's no variation in the numbers for grenades as far as I know; they behave exactly the same every time. If what you're seeing disagrees with the numbers, it's most likely a typo in either my math or the numbers I'm working from.

The source post:
    Frag grenades deal damage based on if you are within the inner damage area or the outer area. The inner area is from zero to eighteen feet. The outer one extends out to forty two feet. Damage in the inner area ranges from 500 (i.e. holding it) to 50 damage at eighteen feet. The outer area drops to a mininum of 10 damage. 30% of grenade damage is dealt as bleed damage, thus a 100 point grenade would deal 70 instant damage and 30 bleed damage.
    Thanks. I was wondering because I know 100% of a time that this didn't happen, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some other weird instances of nade behavior. I guess that's gonna happen with how many are thrown...
  • [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    Those numbers don't take into account anything that may be between the pawn and a grenade.
    Those numbers don't take into account anything that may be between the pawn and a grenade.

I thought grenades weren't treated for penetration? That if something blocks, it blocks fully? Genuinely asking :) If that is the case, you'd either receive the damage according to the model or none at all.

I also don't believe grenades care where the hit is registered on the pawn.

I've heard whisperings of possible changes to how grenades are treated, though, so maybe some of this is in flux in the development versions.
  • [CLS]_SgtMac[CLS]_SgtMac Posts: 199Moderator
    You are correct, but if pawn gets an item between himself and the grenade no damage is received and that might be interpreted as "inconsistent".
  • iNv|revert-iNv|revert- Posts: 96Player
    grenades are fine as they are, there are some blocking issues within the game, but don't blame the poor little grenade for that ;)
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    A wall that can be penetrated by a bullet can't be penetrated by a grenade. ;)
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 766Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    A wall that can be penetrated by a bullet can't be penetrated by a grenade. ;)

Or by a shotgun or pistol...

Over 1.4k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Cod devs with the door breaches would be furious if they knew..
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    Imagine if nades penetrated the same walls that bullets do. What a poop show it would be.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
    You are correct, but if pawn gets an item between himself and the grenade no damage is received and that might be interpreted as "inconsistent".

Okay, gotcha. We're on the same page then. I didn't know if there could be some edge case for multiple pawns in a line or something that would alter the math. Yeah, unexpected collision blocking preventing damage is probably the most common cause of perceived inconsistency.
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    Saccho wrote: »

Okay, gotcha. We're on the same page then. I didn't know if there could be some edge case for multiple pawns in a line or something that would alter the math. Yeah, unexpected collision blocking preventing damage is probably the most common cause of perceived inconsistency.

Back in the beta you could bake a grenade so that it would explode right on a room ceiling and that would kill 3 or 4 enemies easily. Now you need definitely more effort because the radius is much smaller, and its way easier to camp a room. Heck, most of the times you don't even need to watch out for a grenade because even a chair or a smaller kind of cover will protect you, and you don't need to worry about it because the radius is so small it doesnt travel far enough in the Z axis.
    Derob6.jpg
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    I have witnessed couple of instances where another player blocked the granade damage as well. Its not consistent to reproduce this either. Cant tell 100% if the visual line up plays a role.