All of the AA2 maps

ELiZ_SwedenELiZ_Sweden Posts: 30Player
edited April 2016 in Mission Editor
Just a quick topic about something that I've been working on for the last few months.

Perhaps some of you remember that I cloned some of the old AA2 maps when this game was in beta.
With the constant updates of the game, keeping all the maps rebuild/recooked was a nightmare, and I also ran out of space on steam for all the maps. So I stopped updating the maps, and since the were cooked, a rebuild was required for them to work, at that time I choose to stop releasing updates.

I now plan to release clones of all the Official AA 2.8.5 maps.
I started over, they are not a continuation of the old maps.

One of the mayor issues with the old maps were the scale, so since I started over, I've made sure that all content/maps is at a 90% scale.

I'm almost done with all the visuals of all the 50 maps, next step is adding the sounds. After that it's the gameplay that is up.

I've been gone for a long while now with releasing maps for AA:PG, has much changed? What works and what is broken?

I plan to release/update the maps/resource packages with a standalone exe, what are you feelings about that?

I'll post more in this thread, perhaps some screens of some of the maps.

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,113Player
    edited April 2016
    Great to see you back Altan/Eliz!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 592Player
    edited April 2016
    i would publish ,
    if i was you , people, myself included have been remaking /porting aa2 maps since you wasn't around ,
    or if you feel you dont want responsibility of looking after so many maps offer a few out to people to look after in your name ,
    a lot of people like the old textures on aa2 ports, some like to see them with new materials and a bit of a twist

maybe put a list up of what you have , as there are some out there already,

im working on SF pcr at the moment ,
  • ELiZ_SwedenELiZ_Sweden Posts: 30Player
    This is my current version of SFPCR

b52zbo.jpg
    izxkdd.jpg

I've been working on all 50 maps parallell and all resources are in packages with the same name as the same filenames as in AA2.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,105Beta Tester
    Since you're doing everything to scale now, why not try and get in touch with the Devs, maybe they can take them all and add them to the core game as expansion pack. This way you don't have to worry about them any longer.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 339Player
    An officially approved pack would be neat.
    Oh well.
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 452Player
    Since you're doing everything to scale now, why not try and get in touch with the Devs, maybe they can take them all and add them to the core game as expansion pack. This way you don't have to worry about them any longer.

Agreed. I remember once upon a time the Devs said they would support "Approved" UMMs.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • ModtoolsModtools Posts: 271Player
    edited April 2016
    HEY ELiZ
    nice to see you back again.
    I would love to help you :awesome:
    At the moment i am porting some old AA3 Maps.
    Also i had too the idea on publishing whole packages.
    Would be cool if we could sit down together and talk.
    THe idea to ask the dev to publish them is not bad too.

The new soundsystem should not be a problem but the walkways -.-
    stairs are bugged even if we scale them to original size. But i found a way to circumship this.
    I would really love to work with you together.

Gz Modtools
    PS: Here my references/ported maps if you would look
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/modtools/myworkshopfiles/?appid=203290
  • -ew.raw--ew.raw- Posts: 157Player
    Awesome work EliZ. Everything in the same package. Awesome.
    And if i want to play AA2 map...i want it to look like in AA2. Dont change anything in those. As i said in other topic...the guy who made SF Hospital did a very good job. I couldnt tell if i was playing AA2 or AA: PG just by looking around and that means the guy did a very good job.

Gl with your project eliz.
    1409304775_2240089.gif

AA2 2005 - 2015
    AA:PG 2015-
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 592Player
    eliz , you talking about an exe file , how would this work with punkbuster, and steam , also what about server side to run the maps ?
    edited April 2016
    it must be an upk as reference to the maps.
    we must tell the steamclient that he downloads the upk as dependency :awesome:
    that could we do with the addon function of publishing in steam
    -> set the upk's as needed addons
    only my first idea / there are many ways but this would be the simplest

Gz Modtools
    Back when this game was in Beta, and the support for the Steam Workshop was added, there was a limit of 2 GB, is that still the case?

At the moment, when I add all the files(Maps/upk) the total size is about 6.5GB, I expect that I will get down the file size, by using wrangle and cooking, but I dont think that I will be able to get anywhere near the old 2GB limit. Using a Standalone "client" will allow me to maintain a folder in the User's Documents folder that is usable by the AAPG Client.

The sulution choosen will be the one that is simplest for all the users, and if there is a solution that would work with Steam that would be best.

• Whiplash27Whiplash27 Posts: 1,549Player
    edited April 2016
    EDIT: I misread.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    I'm not sure but some people have made and uploaded a lot of maps, if there is a limit it must be pretty big.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,105Beta Tester
    I would suggest testing the limit before you go through all that trouble for nothing. If I recall, there should be no limit, but I can be wrong. Just set your workshop publish to private and up load the whole package and see what happens. If it works, great! If not, then you need to break it up into smaller packs.
    dont know if itas helpful but perhaps you can use the modupload of steam
    you can declare which dependencies where it should be stored and as i see it its unlimited size

here some documentation and FAQ
    https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/source_games

Perhaps it helps
    Hopefully Modtools
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

This weekend I'll spend on getting the sounds working, I see that a new sound system has been added.

edited April 2016
    hey ELiZ say if i can help you :-)
  • =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Eagerly awaiting this!
    A small update with some screens from a map called Rummage:

dr5o4h.jpg

2mgwd39.jpg

153mmv4.jpg

Nice, Looks like Urban assault.