Every setting except keybinds changed? cant change resolution now.

]B4n4nA[JoG@ry]B4n4nA[JoG@ry Posts: 220Player
Hi as subject says i came online yesterday to find all my settings except keybinds had changed to default. I never noticed a update but some other players mentioned they had same. Setting up was easy enough as i have to do it after every update anyhow :anguished:
but now i have a old problem return. when using fullscreen i am stuck with my Monitors native resolution of 1980-1080. i have been playing for last few months with 1600-1050 as i was informed that is what gives best results for U3 engine and i found that in my case to be true. I has this problem months ago where i could not change resolution. Any dev help woul;d be apprieciated.
Thanks

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Mine reset too after the GMT daylight saving time change.

Have you tried the console method of changing it? Open console up.. @ key opens mine.. then type

setres 1920x1080

Hit enter. Replace resolution above to your desired one.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    A few days ago I could change resolution. Now I have to go from 'Full screen windowed' to 'Full screen' if I want to change resolution.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,055Moderator
    Welcome to UE3 and DST, its always fun hacking multiple ini files across several games :D

Anyways, everything that worked prior to DST should also work now.
    It could be a hick-up between your newly created user files and steam cloud.
    Try deleting the user files totally, then restart the game, obviously, you will have lost all settings, again.

@JoGary, there's no truth to the engine running better on a specific res, what you see is a lover res giving you better performance as fewer pixels are drawn on the screen, nothing specific to UE3.
    If you have the hardware for it, you should always run your monitor at the native res. due to less than perfect pixel scaling.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • ]B4n4nA[JoG@ry]B4n4nA[JoG@ry Posts: 220Player
    edited March 2016
    frankof wrote: »
    Welcome to UE3 and DST, its always fun hacking multiple ini files across several games :D

Anyways, everything that worked prior to DST should also work now.
    It could be a hick-up between your newly created user files and steam cloud.
    Try deleting the user files totally, then restart the game, obviously, you will have lost all settings, again.

@JoGary, there's no truth to the engine running better on a specific res, what you see is a lover res giving you better performance as fewer pixels are drawn on the screen, nothing specific to UE3.
    If you have the hardware for it, you should always run your monitor at the native res. due to less than perfect pixel scaling.

it was not to improve performance it to do with the screen size ratio 16:9 and 16:10, U3 is older engine and was made for 16:9 ratio and i was led to believe that if using a resolution with 16:10 the screen is distorted slightly and cross hair may get displayed. Maybe someone with more knowlage could comment. but my aim seems better at 16.9 ratios but it may be all in my head :)

ps. it may be other way about lol
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    I now deleted AA:PG folder from Documents/MyGames and still, when I choose 'Full screen windowed' my native resolution automatic pop up and are still locked.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • ]B4n4nA[JoG@ry]B4n4nA[JoG@ry Posts: 220Player
    -Ner0- wrote: »
    I now deleted AA:PG folder from Documents/MyGames and still, when I choose 'Full screen windowed' my native resolution automatic pop up and are still locked.

yes me too :(
  • SG1][Teal'cSG1][Teal'c Posts: 76Player
    edited March 2016
    I may repeat frankof's post, but I would like to make this more clear, because this rumor exists since a decade.
    AFAIK people claim so 1680x1050 works best with unreal engines in general (not only ue3) is because that is 16:10 ratio, and that's pretty standard in the US where Epic Studio and most other big Developers are located. In many older (and a few newer, in most cases console games ported to PC) unreal engine games, if you set a 16:9 ratio you get a distorted optic (a circle is oval and that kind of stuff). 16:10 does NOT give you better performance than 16:9. But having 1920x1080 (total pixel amount = 2'073'600) compared to 1680x1050 (total pixel amount = 1'764'000) means your textures are larger (more CPU and VRAM required), your GPU has to calculate a lot more pixels and many more things. Especially the later can make a huge difference due to shaders. Example given: Having Anti Aliasing on means your GPU not only has to calculate more pixels for outputting on your screen, it also has to render ~15% more pixels a second time for Anti Aliasing. Even without any Anti Alias, Aniso Filter, MipMap and all that sort of stuff, it's still quite a difference for the whole system. With that in mind, the comparison a lot people do is very faulty. Due to that you can not compare the performance by changing the aspect ratio from 16:10 to 16:9 or vice versa, because the smallest gap AFAIK is still around ~10-12%.
    frankof wrote: »
    This is true. Because even if your monitor may change it's resolution to match the input resolution it gets from your computer, the physical panel can't change. If you don't have the hardware for the native resolution of your screen, it's best to not force "full panel scaling" and having a smaller picture. This gives you a much sharper, though smaller, picture.

@JoGary I hope you can change your resolution now, but in the case you still can't try this:
    Open AASystemSettings.ini in your
    C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\America's Army Proving Grounds\AAGame\Config
    folder and search for xRes and yRes
    e.g. 1920x1080 =
    xRes=1920
    yRes=1080

EDIT: And in the case you lack of performance required to run a smooth game, it's much better to use "full screen">"windowed mode". I can't explain it in the very detail, but it makes a difference for Windows. Having a windowed game makes your OS (operating system) to permanently calculate all stuff that is in the background (extreme multitasking), while having it in full screen a lot tasks (desktop as an example) wont get refreshed. This depends greatly on the program-code of each program separately, but in general "full screen" is much more than just "full screen" considering the background processes. Something else you can try is to open task manager after you started the game and set a higher priority.
    example with AA:PG:
    Start the game, go into task manager and within the "Processes" tab (for Win10 you have to go into "Details" tab) right-click AAGame.exe/set priority/above normal
    You may also try "high" instead of above normal, but do NOT pick realtime! This may cause freezes of your whole system because some background processes are required to even run the OS, and if you run into a performance spike in the game, it can cause freezes due to lack of performance that is required to run the background processes for your OS and drivers! This also can happen with "above normal", but chances are much lower than with realtime :-)

2nd EDIT:
    Change the tessellation level. This can greatly increase the performance depending on your hardware.
    What is Tessellation - click me
    To do so, open AASystemSettings.ini within
    C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\America's Army Proving Grounds\AAGame\Config
    and change
    TessellationAdaptivePixelsPerTriangle=48.000000
    to 0 (off), 1, 2, 4, 8