Concrete Jungle Map Creation Contest

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    edited April 2016
    Was just an idea for one for the future maybe, they asked for ideas for these comps not so long back and its about the only thing I have thought of that didn't already get said by anyone else :)

Speaking from my own perspective it takes me AGES to make a map just because I have some stupid urge to put too much 'pretty' into the map too early.. and as a result often lose focus on the main objective by adding minor details that's perhaps not even needed into the map, with the basic editor your relatively free to focus on the map space itself, without getting sidetracked by an asset you skipped by in the content browser that just might spurn a whole new look and feel to the level you originally intended to make. Infact I have scrapped many maps just because by the end, they start to look like a mish/mash of different looking areas that don't fit well together in the same gameplay space :lol:

I understand it'd be hard to administer, trusting people to solely use the basic ME, and having people resisting the urge to go fetch more assets from the main one.. its one of those things that probably cant work.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 329Developer
    Just a reminder, the deadline for the preview event is only a week away! Be sure to submit your map here: http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/4817/concrete-jungle-map-creation-contest/p1

All maps we receive by next Monday morning (9am CST) will be placed on servers for players to test and provide feedback on.
    Ok, the deadline has hit for our map preview event! We will have servers up later today so everyone can play these maps. We will also work on getting feedback threads setup in the Mission Editor section of the forums. If you would like to get a head start on downloading these map, you can grab them all here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679525149

I will post again when the servers and feedback threads are up.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    nm my last post in other section i didnt see this one . So your saying the deadline was really 15th not 16 th , because 9am isnt very much of the 16th
    From the first post in this thread:
    Tell me more about this May 16th deadline…
    All maps that have been submitted (Map Submission Thread) by 9am CST on May 16th will be added to a collection. That map collection will then be run on a number of official servers for a week. During this time, players can play your maps and provide feedback either through your map’s Workshop page or though provided feedback areas on the forums.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,121Beta Tester
    -Flops- wrote: »
    nm my last post in other section i didnt see this one . So your saying the deadline was really 15th not 16 th , because 9am isnt very much of the 16th

You still have plenty of time bud. The deadline you need to make is July 4th. So keep at it. You still have the comp community and the rest of us to give you feedback once you release the comp map. Making good/great map takes time.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    Rawrster, can we get commo on the rules moving forward? I'm dying to keep updating as I learn more, but I seem to recall an edict about "no updates"

?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    So we will have these maps up on servers for a week or so for feedback purposes. After that you are more than welcome to keep updating the map. In theory, with our new system, if you update during the preview event the server should notice and update the map as well. If for some reason it doesn't then it would cause issues with playing the map and we would have to remove that map from the server.

So.. you SHOULD be good to just keep on updating, but do so at your own risk. Next week you can update risk free.
    :+1:

To use an over-worn word...."Awesome!"

:D
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    -Flops- wrote: »

You still have plenty of time bud. The deadline you need to make is July 4th. So keep at it. You still have the comp community and the rest of us to give you feedback once you release the comp map. Making good/great map takes time.

lol its not a comp map i was submitting :open_mouth: ( well i guess it could be a comp map )
    Ok, Servers are starting to come online.

US Army Official FNG 22 UGC Contest is ready to rock. IP: 205.251.161.252:7778

It looks like =NiW= and B2K are running servers as well at: 77.75.123.211:7778 and 77.75.123.212:7778

We will be bringing up additional official servers (2 US and 2 EU at a minimum) shortly. Because this is a BDX competition and some of the submitted maps are set as FLOs, we will be running the official servers with MaxTeamSizeFLO set to 6. We recommend other servers running the competition maps do the same.
    Ok, all feedback threads can be found here: http://forum.americasarmy.com/categories/map-competition-feedback

Please provide as much feedback as you can for the maps you play. It will go a long way in helping these map creators make the best product possible.
    I will be on the FNG 22 server for the next few hours if people want to hop on and test out some of these maps.
    edited May 2016
    To all map makers, I'd like to point out something that I'm seeing, and this was a problem for me and my own 'art project' maps: Don't take criticism of how a map plays as a criticism of your creative work. It really is two different things. It's really tough to make a map that plays well, but some of those creations out there look REALLY nice! I'm seeing very cool environments, scenarios and virtual places!

The trick is to balance both sides of that equation - a map that plays well and is pleasing to the brain! :)

Anyway....good luck to all!
    ______

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    From my relatively short experience I find it's a lot easier to make a map look good, but the trick and real art is making them play good.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

I'm hopping on FNG 22 now. Should be on for a few hours.
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    edited May 2016
    As always my two cents...why limit to three?? Devs' take yr time to 'arrange' winner maps but i think that, if there are more than three 'candidate maps', all the 'worthy' maps should become 'officials'.
    That changes it from a competition to a map making production line...
    ______

• RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    That changes it from a competition to a map making production line...

Why not?? ;)
    While I'm losing a lot of sleep over it...I'd just like to thank the Devs for this contest. I'm learning a lot!! Great opportunity,

:+1:
    ______

This discussion has been closed.