Concrete Jungle Map Creation Contest

Comments

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    edited March 2016
    Devs must love these contests... tons of free labor :lol:
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    ReDo SF Extraction. done.

• -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester
    So Just to be clear, only BDX maps are allowed? What happens if someone makes a map that's in the middle, where it fits both BDX and FLO, with few minor tweaks for the FLO version....will that be excepted?

Edit: Also, if a BDX and FLO version of the same map win, is that considered 1 map or 2? I'm assuming one since it's really a BDX contest. So possibility of having 6 maps in all? Or BDX and BDX ONLY?

Thanks.

Just remember wolvie, highway bridges are made of concrete. So I am expecting to see at least 1 "build a better bridge" submission.... :D
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,121Beta Tester
    Just remember wolvie, highway bridges are made of concrete. So I am expecting to see at least 1 "build a better bridge" submission.... :D

Where would you like to send the cashiers check to, Bootsie? :p
  • -=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI--=[USA]=-rubberboot-ACI- Posts: 126Beta Tester

Where would you like to send the cashiers check to, Bootsie? :p

..to myself. Silly question. :D
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    No pressure Wolverine. We all know you can do it.
    Oh well.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    Is there a thread for people to submit their maps for this contest??

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Is there a thread for people to submit their maps for this contest??

Link in the OP
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/4816/submissions-concrete-jungle-map-contest#latest

Under Construction,Just for you Bootsie! ;)
  • =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    I am confused of why the comp is having 'remakes' as part of it's eligibility.
    Why wouldn't you just run a 'a best remake/interpretation' map contest and be done with it.
    I am confused of why the comp is having 'remakes' as part of it's eligibility.
    Why wouldn't you just run a 'a best remake/interpretation' map contest and be done with it.

Originality
    Recreations of existing maps from other games will not be accepted. Recreations of existing America's Army maps (pre-AAPG) are allowed, with a few minor caveats. These maps must do something original with the existing space. Don't just reskin the old bsp/meshes and call it a day, do something to make the map your own. These maps, like all other map submissions in the contest, must fully embrace the Concrete Jungle theme.

This^^^^^ :+1:

• =R*C=-snom-=R*C=-snom- Posts: 88Player
    Yeah I get that wolvy but don't understand the mentally of it. To me seems like two different comps intertwined.
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    Rarwster said that remakes "like all other map submissions in the contest, must fully embrace the Concrete Jungle theme."

imo it's actually harder to use an old map and make it fit than make one from scratch.
    Oh well.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    `xinoN wrote: »
    Rarwster said that remakes "like all other map submissions in the contest, must fully embrace the Concrete Jungle theme."

imo it's actually harder to use an old map and make it fit than make one from scratch.

The contest rules do not actually say you can not port these maps , That being said any old map can become a concrete jungle if textured right . Im sure the original rules said no ports did they not ? or did i misread something, There is a high possibility of that :surprised:
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    edited April 2016
    Originality
    These maps must do something original with the existing space.

This is the part Im not seeing in these ports.. more than just lipstick needs to be done, granted its hard to tell from a few pics

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Personally, I'd like to see a competition where contestants are restricted to using only the basic editor. Not just because it would be more accessible to others, but also to see what people could come up with using limited assets.

Just an idea.

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

[Gen]Adzic wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see a competition where contestants are restricted to using only the basic editor. Not just because it would be more accessible to others, but also to see what people could come up with using limited assets.

Just an idea.

100% love this idea. It would mostly rely on imagination and not as much eye-candy. However, you would have to remove the advanced editor from the game if you make a contest like that.

But yeah :+1: for this!
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,121Player
    edited April 2016
    The basic editor really doesn't do much at all. Plus the Devs want maps that are at least close to being game ready. The community already hates the cardboard maps and that's just about all you can make in the basic editor. I wouldn't mind a contest where you can't use anything but the stock assets that come with the game; meaning no models, textures, particle systems, or anything else that didn't come stock.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    The basic editor really doesn't do much at all. Plus the Devs want maps that are at least close to being game ready. The community already hates the cardboard maps and that's just about all you can make in the basic editor. I wouldn't mind a contest where you can't use anything but the stock assets that come with the game; meaning no models, textures, particle systems, or anything else that didn't come stock.

Keep in mind, it all about layout and gameplay. I'm sure the Devs wouldn't mind dressing up a map that have those features to potentially be a great map.
This discussion has been closed.