New Map Contest! New Theme Vote!

It's that time again! We plan on starting up the next UMM Contest soon, so let's figure out what the theme of the contest will be. Our theme options this time were heavily influenced by your discussions in the thread we started up a couple weeks ago. We took some of the ideas that seemed popular there and cleaned them up a bit to provide a bit more flexibility for the contestants. The three theme options we have decided on are:

Concrete Jungle
This theme brings the fight to a more urban environment. Players can expect to be breaching rooms, taking rooftops, and navigating crowded streets in these maps.

Stronghold
This theme is perfect for Attack/Defend style gameplay. Players will be forming plans and working together to breach in to highly defensible compounds.

Stormy Weather
This theme puts players in harsh conditions and brutal elements. Players can expect their visibility and map awareness to be hampered while the try to handle both the enemy and mother natures.

So there are our three options for this contest! Voting will remain open until Monday March 28 at 9am CST. Once that deadline passes we will take the theme with the most votes and fully incorporate it into the next contest. Please continue to read below for a few more caveats.

No vote option for AA Map Remakes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!
We know a number of you would like to do a remakes contests. Instead of having a contest focused on remakes, we would rather pick a cool theme and then allow remakes to appear if the work out for that given theme. In the next contest we WILL be allowing AA Remakes to be submitted.

Let's focus on BDX maps this time around
The other condition we will be having in the upcoming contest is the maps must be BDX size. Again, we feel this is a good restriction, but not interesting enough to serve as a theme in its own right.
Theme Vote
  1. Which Theme do you want for the next UMM Contest?169 votes
    1. Concrete Jungle
      48.52%
    2. Stronghold
      20.12%
    3. Stormy Weather
      31.36%

Comments

• EJtheKEJtheK Posts: 105Player
    Does BDX mean a single objective only?
  • [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 328Developer
    EJtheK wrote: »
    Does BDX mean a single objective only?

Not necessarily. The only restriction of BDX is that the map is built for 6v6.

• `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    I'm sure GREAT maps will come out of this. I'll make sure to participate this time! So many ideas :)
    Oh well.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,166Player
    edited March 2016
    Stormy Weather
    This theme puts players in harsh conditions and brutal elements. Players can expect their visibility and map awareness to be hampered while the try to handle both the enemy and mother natures.

I can't stop the weird visions in my head of me making a map with this theme (trying to), whereby people get struck by lightening if they camp for too long :lol:

Good options! :+1:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    I voted Concrete Jungle as it caters more for C4 styled maps which in my opinion should outnumber Attack/Defend obj maps. Secondly, the theme fits Springstreet which is one of the most balanced maps right now. More great maps like that would be welcomed by me.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    You kind of lost my interest at BDX , The last three contest winners were BDX size and considering most FLO maps can be played as BDX seems silly to have this restriction. I would of been more enthused at FLO allowed but have a size restriction on it (like medium size maps is max) . i will still give it a go , you only kind of lost my interest , not completely :pleased:
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited March 2016
    I voted Concrete Jungle as it caters more for C4 styled maps which in my opinion should outnumber Attack/Defend obj maps. Secondly, the theme fits Springstreet which is one of the most balanced maps right now. More great maps like that would be welcomed by me.

I agree
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Concrete Jungle gets the vote as an Italy style map would fit this...

Not sure how Stormy Weather can be a theme as any map can have a storm.. you can make Italy with a storm.. However I'm kind of against this "hampered visibility", it hasn't played out all that well in the past.. and one could argue that Homefront with all its bush "Hamper's visibility" hence why its not all that popular in its early days.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited March 2016
    -Flops- wrote: »
    You kind of lost my interest at BDX , The last three contest winners were BDX size and considering most FLO maps can be played as BDX seems silly to have this restriction. I would of been more enthused at FLO allowed but have a size restriction on it (like medium size maps is max) . i will still give it a go , you only kind of lost my interest , not completely :pleased:

Do you always lie/make stuff up to try and get your way? The last 3 winners for an outdoors theme were all FLO maps some may be able to be played 6v6 like cabin fever but its not a sure thing yet. The winner before that was overload like the biggest map in the game. It's time to have a BDX contest last 4 contest winners are all FLO maps. By BDX that means 6v6 only...You don't play 12v12 on springstreet, breach, siege, etc...Especially when you got 13 FLO maps 5 capable of 6v6 by default add the 3 FLO's coming from the previous contest and thats 16. 7 6v6 bdx only maps which include outerhospital and lockdown. That leaves 5 solid 6v6 only maps. It's time for some new/more BDX maps. So in total once those maps from the UMM contest are released you will have: 11 FLO only maps(Default Rotation) compared to 5 6v6 only maps(Default Rotation). And 5 maps supporting both 6v6 and 12v12 by default. You've also only been getting new FLO maps from Devs for years. The only map since game released into open beta that was released 6v6 only was intercept, which is now supporting 12v12 by default. So yes its definitely time for some 6v6 only maps. Wait your turn the rest of us have patiently waited.

On a side note: Harbor Assault should be in the BDX 6v6 default rotation like how you allowed inner hospital to have a BDX version.

Also: Checkout is missing from this list of missions with overview of maps.
    https://www.americasarmy.com/aapg/missions/
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• EJtheKEJtheK Posts: 105Player
    I voted Stronghold. As a theme for the environment, not for a play style necessarily. Attack/Defend can be frustrating for Assault and boring for Defense if not done properly.

We have plenty of Concrete Jungle style maps already.

Stormy Weather could be any map with... wind, rain and fog... and fps issues.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »
    -Flops- wrote: »

Do you always lie/make stuff up to try and get your way? The last 3 winners for an outdoors theme were all FLO maps some may be able to be played 6v6 like cabin fever but its not a sure thing yet. The winner before that was overload like the biggest map in the game. It's time to have a BDX contest last 4 contest winners are all FLO maps. By BDX that means 6v6 only...You don't play 12v12 on springstreet, breach, siege, etc...

Do you always have to troll ? its my opinion is all and cabin fever , all terrain (small) and stone ruins can all easily be played as BDX , and my point being was FLO caters to both if a size restriction is applied . Anyway enough of dealing with you i am not going to take part in your usual take something fun for the community and wreck it (again)
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I see no point in flo maps when most servers are Inner only.. absolutely pointless

#highfiveforbdx maps that will actually get played.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    Is stormy weather even a theme though? Sounds like an fps fiend.

I voted stronghold in hopes that it will move away from the fast, TDM gameplay.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,055Player
    edited March 2016
    I'll vote for Stormy Weather if I can have this in the background the whole time:

I would replace Stormy Weather with either Desert Village, Frozen Village, or Industrial Complex.

Anyway, I see no reason if the map is made right that an FLO AND BDX version can't be made.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    Ok guys can we have at least 1 freaking topic not get blown up like always. Let's keep this clean, keep it on point and for god sakes stop being little kids. Ok with that said.

I agree, I think stormy should be allowed to be used in maps, but not be a theme as it is now.

My suggestion would be:

I agree and like "concrete jungle" theme, you can do a lot with this.
    I'd change stronghold to "medieval" theme, bring something fresh to the game.
    And instead of stormy, I add something like "desert oasis" theme to the mix, again something new and fresh to aapg.

That's my 2 cents worth, and please if you don't have something good to add this thread, keep out, stay out. Let's not turn this into bdx vs. flo crap. Like whiplash said, good map can be made for both.

Stay on topic! :+1:
  • `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    Concrete jungle:
    steamroller_game_map_alt_view_by_djmonkeyboy.jpg

Stronghold:
    blizzard.jpg

Stormy:
    sfsandstorm.png
    Oh well.
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    I just voted, and it's 33.3% for every option. :p
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,055Player
    If we do stormy, I can submit my snowstorm map :awesome:
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -pR|Arkeiro-pR|Arkeiro Posts: 737Player
    All 3 options are tempty, any of them are a good implement for game. Have fun makers.

Over 1.1k Golden Hawkeyes.
  • ModtoolsModtools Posts: 279Player
    edited March 2016
    stromhold would be nice too :-)
    would there also fit a bunker