Assist System

-vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
FunPolice wrote:

Imo, it's a great idea for a game with health regen. After 30 seconds their health resets and you no longer get an assist because they are back to full health. The problem with this is in AA if I do 99% damage, and then the enemy camps with 1hp only to die 45 seconds later, I get nothing. Regardless of how long it takes for someone to die, if I did 99% of the work, I should be granted something for that.

It might be petty, but it also fixes a lot of the, "I swear I hit that guy too, this game's reg is trash" comments. A lot of times, you probably did hit him quite a bit, but you'll never know because he sat in a corner for 31 seconds.
TheTots wrote:
I think this thread has run it's course......

Comments

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    I think this is a valid point, but I don't know of any good way it could be fixed...Maybe give more points if more damage is done? I care way more about kills than points, though, so it would still leave me depressed. :D
  • -vortex-vortex Posts: 188Player
    Set "assist timer" to RoundTime+1, reset timer when the enemy you tagged dies. With reset when he dies then gets revived you can get a second assist, as it should be. Easy fix for the way they currently have it coded.
    TheTots wrote:
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Every game pretty much has this the only difference is there is health regen so once the enemy's health regens to full hp the assist no longer would count. Since this game there is no health regen any damage throughout the round should count as an assist.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    A time limit promotes coordinated simultaneous action. Doing damage isn't necessarily the same as assisting.
    Saccho wrote: »
    A time limit promotes coordinated simultaneous action. Doing damage isn't necessarily the same as assisting.

Yeah but I don't get assist points for double flashing someone so that my teammate can choke them. The only way for the system to easily determine an assist is by doing damage. I feel like this is an accurate way to solve the current "problem".
    TheTots wrote:
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,154Player
    Unless having the assist storing metric lasting the whole round would cause unnecessary system strain, I don't see a reason why it should only be 30 seconds. I wouldn't even mind a tiered approach where based on how much damage you do to an enemy the time before it resets the assist counter changes as well.

That said, regardless of points, it would be nice if a piece of UI was put in place to allow us to see who we hit and who hit us. It would have to be put in at the end of the round, but I think it would definitely be worthwhile. I know the mechanics of it is coded into the game, but it would just be the UI work to implement it.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    There's really no reason why it has to be 30 seconds, or time based at all.
    We could re work the system to last the whole round.

What would the ideal assist score and notify system be? If it's not too crazy we should be able to add it in.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

edited March 2016
    My thought would just be a UI at round end somewhere that just shows:
    damage_zps9dpb8x99.jpg~original

Obviously changeable based on how much work it would drive.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited March 2016
    I've long appreciated this approach to displaying hits taken and damage received.

http://i.imgur.com/baR3AwIh.jpg

I'll flesh thoughts out more here when I'm off mobile.
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, that's pretty nice. Although I'd be perfectly happy with a couple easy tables.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    edited March 2016
    I'll let ^them^ comment on the future-feature ....but I do want to say that I agree with persistent Assists throughout the round so that if an opponent dies at anytime due to those wounds plus others, there is some benefit to everyone who helped.

That adds even more intricacy to whether you should take "bad percentage shots" and possibly give yourself away....

An interesting side discussion might be, what happens after a player has been revived with lower health and killed for the second time? :o
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    An interesting side discussion might be, what happens after a player has been revived with lower health and killed for the second time? :o

His face mesh is replaced with that of a cat?

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Well....did the first bunch of players who inflicted damage get credit for reducing the Opfor's health and allowing the second kill to be made?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    Saccho wrote: »

Yeah but I don't get assist points for double flashing someone so that my teammate can choke them. The only way for the system to easily determine an assist is by doing damage. I feel like this is an accurate way to solve the current "problem".

Yeah thats another issue regardless of time gone by if you flash someone you don't get assist for it.
    FunPolice wrote: »

What would the ideal assist score and notify system be? If it's not too crazy we should be able to add it in.

The ideal system for me would be to keep it simple damage done would be nice but I feel like that would be a lot of useless work? Just awarding someone with an assist for doing damage should be good however put a damage requirement for the assist. Also if someone flashes someone completely blind and someone gets the kill the player who flashed so also get the assist. So IMO the ideal damage would be the same as revive, 30 hp so if you deal 30hp or more damage to someone and they die at any point in that round you are rewarded with an assist. You could make the damage requirement even higher if you choose it all depends what everyone feels is a justifiable damage number to award and assist. 30hp? 50hp? 50+hp? so 51hp dmg or more?
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 501Player
    I like those ideas, too, Colts.
    The flash thing sounds interesting, but it's a matter of if the game actually keeps track of who flashes someone.

We know for sure that the game definitely keeps track of where you shoot someone. At the bare minimum showing who you shot, who shot you, where shots landed and if you got a kill or assist or if the guy survived the round should be data that the game currently has on hand. Whether they'd want to make a fancy UI for it or just a table is up to the Dev team.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester

Sorry if this seems long winded but...

I do not like the term "assist". I absolutely do not like that it has a time limit. I believe that players should get credit for every health drop they inflict be it via bullet, frag grenade or forcing an opponent to jump down from a height.

For example, lets say (just for this discussion) you get 5 points for every 5% health drop you inflict.

So, player A1 hits NME B1 who drops from 100 to 80. Player A1 should receive 20 points if NME B1 bandages right away. However if NME B1 is red down to 60 and he chooses to keep playing then player A1 should receive an additional 20 points when NME B stops bleeding, (or as many points as required should NME B bandage before bleeding down to 60).

Now player A2 hits NME B1 and knocks him down further from 60 to 40 and also receives 20 points. Again, should NME B1 keep playing Player A2 scores additional points to the point where NME B1 bandages or stops bleeding.

Player A3 now finds NME B1 with only 20 % health left. He fires and knocks NME B1 down to 10. He only gets 10 points at that time. However, NME B1 bleeds out so player A3 gets the additional 10 points plus, lets say, another 20 for the kill.

Same goes for damage caused by frag nades etcetera. Also, points should vary dependent on weapon, distance and hit location. A head shot from a distance with an M16 iron sights should get bonus over multiple pistol shots at close range.
    015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg
  • |FOX|Pitpav|FOX|Pitpav Posts: 41Player
    edited March 2016
    Duke_Audi
    What if A1 hits NME B1 Who drops from 100 to 10% gets 90 points

Next NME B1 kills A2 and A3

Then A4 hit to kill NME B1 he gets only 10 points + 20 for kill

Is this ok?
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »
    FunPolice wrote: »

So IMO the ideal damage would be the same as revive, 30 hp. So if you deal 30hp or more damage to someone and they die at any point in that round you are rewarded with an assist.

Any update on making this happen?
    TheTots wrote:
    There is one thing I WILL say about this discussion and the accounting of it: It does put the focus back on the Incaps instead of on the teamwork toward an objective.

For that, it gives me second thoughts, despite what I said above. It doesn't jive with what I've said prior about pushing toward Objective-only scoring and kills only providing the auxilliary means to an end (a la the ACTUAL Army.)

If there is one thing that has pushed this game toward the supposed "Run and Gun" genre, it's the kills and stats and achievements and challenges instead of focusing on objectives, comms and teamwork. This has also led to an atrocious level of "newb farming."
    ______