Smokes: About time they made a return

ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
Have the devs made any progress in making them more efficient (less fps draining) ? It was my understanding that's the reason why they were removed. I don't believe it needs to be said why they are essential for team play and strategy execution.

At this point, even being given 1 smoke instead of the previous 2 would be a step in the right direction, and it would limit how many can be deployed at the same time.

Fogs are great for certain strategies, but the duration and sound occlusion provided by smokes make it an invaluable tool that should be included in this game.

Thoughts?
Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
FGNL Season 1 Champions
FN Season 2 & 4 Champions

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    BBS

Bring Back Smokes
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    +1
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited March 2016
    Have the devs made any progress in making them more efficient (less fps draining) ? It was my understanding that's the reason why they were removed. I don't believe it needs to be said why they are essential for team play and strategy execution.

At this point, even being given 1 smoke instead of the previous 2 would be a step in the right direction, and it would limit how many can be deployed at the same time.

Fogs are great for certain strategies, but the duration and sound occlusion provided by smokes make it an invaluable tool that should be included in this game.

Thoughts?

The devs removing smokes was good idea. They were too glitchy. Biggest problem with smokes was the smoke going through walls. (Engine limitation I think) Then the second problem would of been the FPS issue which still exist if you throw enough fogs out in warmup mode. Then the third problem with the new smokes was ability to see players model through smoke unfairly. One side could see character outline other side couldn't - depended on angle.

If they could fix them from leaking through walls they shouldn't leak through as well as some of the other issues than Id be all for them.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 455Player
    edited March 2016
    Devs - Any intention on bringing back the smokes? Maybe not now but in the future? Fixed and optimized of course.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    At this time, no.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Wow didn't even know they were removed. Hopefully when they removed them it was a somewhat drastic step meaning they are working hard on fixing it or just redoing it from the ground up.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,620Beta Tester
    As I recall....smokes were not removed just for performance reasons, but also gameplay reasons. People like me :D were using them to block routes, and in short rounds, that was causing balance issues.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited March 2016
    Wow didn't even know they were removed. Hopefully when they removed them it was a somewhat drastic step meaning they are working hard on fixing it or just redoing it from the ground up.

Me too! I always used FOG's so I never knew they were gone. Come to think of it... I can't remember the last time I saw someone using smoke??
    googley avatar aapg

• IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Me too! I always used FOG's so I never knew they were gone. Come to think of it... I can't remember the last time I saw someone using smoke??

Ya I use flashes never really a smoke guy. So the ones that were removed were the 'poof' one, not the slowly disperse ones?
    They can still be used if your into UMMs and the person who made the map included them in his loadouts :)

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »

Ya I use flashes never really a smoke guy. So the ones that were removed were the 'poof' one, not the slowly disperse ones?

Other way around.

I think the concern was with people being able to create smoke fields covering large areas for extended periods of time. The FOGs (Fast-acting Obscurant Grenades) don't create that gameplay problem so they've stayed in the game.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    Smokes still exist in the map editor. Only issue is that they can only be accessed by using forced class, which I'm not a huge fan of (no one gets a choice of weapon).
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • ^The_Good_Guy^^The_Good_Guy^ Posts: 8Player
    +1, bring back smokes! the new and improved version :D

correct me if I am wrong... but dont fogs go through walls 2?

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,076Moderator
    +1, bring back smokes! the new and improved version :D

correct me if I am wrong... but dont fogs go through walls 2?
    The smoke through walls issue is because the smoke is made up of tiny particles, all those particles will need a lot of individual values, including collision to stop them from drifting through objects.

As for the FOG, i dont really know how its made up, it disappears so fast that i havnt really noticed.

ss_4_frankof.png
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited March 2016
    On the subject of stuff making a return, might I ask why didn't you guys use the AA3 versions of enemy weapons, I believe they were called Obrans? I'd have thought using them models would have saved time? and they were already written in the whole Czervernian story.

Don't get me wrong I like the reality of the weaponry we have now and I'm certainly not complaining, it's just something I wonder.

This discussion has been closed.