Same IP, Multiple accounts?

Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
Hello!

What is the stance on siblings playing together? I'm curious if AA:PG admins and non-official server admins are against this. My siblings all have Steam accounts (growing steadily now) and I'm going to be getting some of them GPUs soon (yuck, HD2000) as they would love to play this game with me (and Star Citizen).

So I ask: are multiple accounts connected to one IP an automatic ban on servers (official or not)? And if so, would it be a horrible idea to run the extra accounts through a VPN when playing AA:PG? Or would it come down to proving they are separate people? I wouldn't be surprised if so, as I had to do that before...

Thanks for any answers!

(also...obligatory mention: can't wait for the Linux version!)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis

Comments

• K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    Why would anyone in his right mind would be against this? There are also ppl connecting from dorms or institutions sharing the same IP.

It could become a problem if 1 of the accounts get caught cheese eating. In such case not so careful admins may think the accounts are the same player.

Also don't let them sit on spectator long if you are playing the same server to avoid accusations of ghosting.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,077Moderator
    almost every dev connect from the same ip, cant say that i seen the whole lot banned, so far..
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 580Player
    Sounds like a very happy family haha
    As pointed above many connect from dorms etc, wont be a problem
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the answers guys! I didn't want to risk getting my IP banned because I really love this game and wanted to be sure before I act. Better safe than sorry.
    Why would anyone in his right mind would be against this? There are also ppl connecting from dorms or institutions sharing the same IP.

It could become a problem if 1 of the accounts get caught cheese eating. In such case not so careful admins may think the accounts are the same player.

Also don't let them sit on spectator long if you are playing the same server to avoid accusations of ghosting.

(lol cheese eating)

You would be surprised. It happens to us a lot; for forums, games, sites, promos...heck, when were younger even stores/restaurants found it hard to believe. Thought we were a group of thieves and whatnot. :*

Ah, that won't be a problem! None of my siblings cheat/hack/whatnot at anything (wouldn't know how to anyways). We don't like it...well, we liked getting out of the maps for Halo with our friends but that's completely different, I'd imagine. haha

Would playing together at the same time help admins know the accounts aren't just 1 person?
    frankof wrote: »
    almost every dev connect from the same ip, cant say that i seen the whole lot banned, so far..

Yea, but they are the developers after all. :)
    Pvt.Phushi wrote: »
    Sounds like a very happy family haha
    As pointed above many connect from dorms etc, wont be a problem

Happier when gaming, at least. :p

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's totally fine, just keep in mind if you do get IP banned it would hit all accounts on the IP.

Unless you're being a bad boy though that shouldn't be an issue.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• weakness_aaweakness_aa Posts: 149Player
    Ban's should be by account and hardware address anyway. In the world of Dynamic IP addresses, I would think it would be less accurate than an account or hardware ban. Each member should have their own STEAM account, not a shared one in my book.
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Thanks for the answers! Glad to hear we're safe to go...!
    FunPolice wrote: »
    It's totally fine, just keep in mind if you do get IP banned it would hit all accounts on the IP.

They'll behave, promise. B)
    Ban's should be by account and hardware address anyway. In the world of Dynamic IP addresses, I would think it would be less accurate than an account or hardware ban. Each member should have their own STEAM account, not a shared one in my book.

I'm not entirely sure I know what hardware addresses are. :* is that some sort of IP specific toward a motherboard or OS install?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the answers! Glad to hear we're safe to go...!
    FunPolice wrote: »

They'll behave, promise. B)

I'm not entirely sure I know what hardware addresses are. :* is that some sort of IP specific toward a motherboard or OS install?

Hardware addresses would be using same computer. Like your motherboard would have a hardware address that won't change unless you get a different motherboard.

I see nothing wrong with a family sharing a PC. However like weakness said just have each person on their own steam account as well as their own AAPG account.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• weakness_aaweakness_aa Posts: 149Player
    Hardware address would be the Mac address of the network adapter or a combination of CPU, Motherboard, and Network Adapter Hardware ID. I guess you'll hear those that say the MAC address of a network adapter can be spoofed, but spoofing a motherboard ID or CPU ID is a whole different story...
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    All hardware IDs can be spoofed. They're increasingly not really in use by any organization.