New computer, custom PC

2»

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Go for the 500GB SSD by Samsung. You will need the space... believe me.
    Power Supply... EVGA, Corsair, Thermaltake.

You don't need the 16GB of ram just yet so save $50 and put toward something else. Like more watts for your PSU. You can always add RAM later and easily. You need to look at 850 w PSU's.

He doesn't need 850w, especially if he is using a Nvidia card like the 970. He could do just fine with a high quality 600-650w PSU. Not even upgrades, unless he crossfires AMD cards, will need to have such headroom. Unless he plans on upgrading to dual AMD cards and then OC them like mad...but even then power consumption is slowly going back down (even slower for AMD but whatever).

Also stay with 16GB of ram. I sold 8gb and I regret it I only have 8gb now. Windows 10 also seems to use more RAM. Right now on Windows 10 64bit with firefox open to type this I am using 29% of my ram. That's around 2.4GB. I had to add pagefile space on backup harddrive because when I gamed it was running out of memory.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »

You don't need the 16GB of ram just yet so save $50 and put toward something else. Like more watts for your PSU. You can always add RAM later and easily. You need to look at 850 w PSU's.

He doesn't need 850w, especially if he is using a Nvidia card like the 970. He could do just fine with a high quality 600-650w PSU. Not even upgrades, unless he crossfires AMD cards, will need to have such headroom. Unless he plans on upgrading to dual AMD cards and then OC them like mad...but even then power consumption is slowly going back down (even slower for AMD but whatever).

Also stay with 16GB of ram. I sold 8gb and I regret it I only have 8gb now. Windows 10 also seems to use more RAM. Right now on Windows 10 64bit with firefox open to type this I am using 29% of my ram. That's around 2.4GB. I had to add pagefile space on backup harddrive because when I gamed it was running out of memory.

RAM is the one thing I always say you can't have enough of unless you are on a very strict budget. If you multitask, it is a killer on 8gb of RAM.

And yea, I've noticed how much RAM W10 eats. It is crazy, but thankfully not as bad as Chrome. :*

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Modern machines use RAM freely to keep things running smoothly. In the past, programs would slow down because they all *needed* that RAM to run, but it's different now -- it's being used optionally just in case you need the resources the program is loading as a precaution. If other programs need the RAM, it'll be given up freely.

The philosophy is basically that unused RAM is wasted RAM. Better to pre-load it with stuff you might use and give it up when it's needed than just have it sitting there doing nothing. In other words, don't read too much into high usage by the OS or Chrome. It's by design.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player

The point i am making is that for the sake of an extra $20 you should go for the extra watts. You never want to get anywhere near 850 watts or stuff will start frying and dying. But the 850's will be more efficient because they are working well below their benchmark. Besides that, a 250 SSD for your OS drive is not going to be enough. I have 2 250's laying in a box from people that got them for this past Xmas and ran out of space already.
    googley avatar aapg

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,030Moderator

The point i am making is that for the sake of an extra $20 you should go for the extra watts. You never want to get anywhere near 850 watts or stuff will start frying and dying. But the 850's will be more efficient because they are working well below their benchmark.
    Actually, going overboard with PSU is going to actually reduce the efficiency.
    Most PSU's are most efficient at around 50% load. (and up to about 90% load)
    I.e, at idle the system in this thread will use something like 75W and around 300W max.
    At 75W a corsair 1200W will have a efficiency of about 75%, and about 90% at 300W.
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • Twitchr.Carbon8Twitchr.Carbon8 Posts: 291Player
    edited February 2016
    article-2012august-front-end-ac-dc-fig1.jpg

See above, its all about efficiency. Back when I was in school I did the math for the payout of the 80+ Platinum vs 80+ Bronze with a computer on 8 hours a day, pulling about 300W. If your electric is $.19/hwh which is what i pay in Minnesota, it was a couple years to pay itself off. But you also get the extra reliability of having a super reliable PSU, and more likely stable voltages.

I ended up going with a Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum . I got it for $70 back in 2012 and it has already paid the difference between an 80+ bronze PSU

Everyone has their own opinion, and for the most part, and no one is necessarily wrong. I'm just a numbers guy.

Source: Im an electrical engineer