New computer, custom PC

{M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 206Player
I've just ordered a new computer, and I'm wondering if somebody have experience with GTX 970, the Skylake processors and AAPG. As I noticed, some people had troubles and fps drops with GTX 980.

My new specs:

- i7 6700k
- 16GB Ram DDR4, Kingston
- Mainboard Gigabyte z170x G3
- Arctic freezer i30
- MSI GTX 970
- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
- Be quiet! CM L8 630W
- Win 10 Home

Any doubts? I can still change until tomorrow :/ .

Comments

• KodenKoden Posts: 275Player
    edited February 2016
    Imho you should rather go for a Seasonic-derivated psu (Seasonic own units, or Antec, Corsair, etc) instead of that one.
    Derob6.jpg
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    As cheap as SSDs have gotten, why not get a bigger one?
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• frankoffrankof Posts: 942Moderator
    that SSD might come of as tiny pretty fast, but its a decent one.

I dont really agree with Koden, that psu got decent revues, a okay psu, a bit to expensive for its features.
    Theres better ones out there, but its not bad.

I probably would have gone with a higher end air cooler, but im sure it will do its job.

All in all, not to bad
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    Looks like a really good rig choice to me!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited February 2016
    I've just ordered a new computer, and I'm wondering if somebody have experience with GTX 970, the Skylake processors and AAPG. As I noticed, some people had troubles and fps drops with GTX 980.

My new specs:

- i7 6700k - good best you can get - i5 6600k will give you same gaming performance
    - 16GB Ram DDR4, Kingston - depends on timings not sure with ddr4.
    - Mainboard Gigabyte z170x G3
    - Arctic freezer i30
    - MSI GTX 970 - good but which version picking right version is key here.
    - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - I have same one. It's fast.
    - Be quiet! CM L8 630W
    - Win 10 Home

Any doubts? I can still change until tomorrow :/ .

What are you upgrading from? I wouldnt be to worried about performance, unless your trying to achieve 144hz... FPS drops on these 900 series may happen but they are not constantly happening. So if you still have a 60hz monitor you will have no issues what so ever here. Good build. Just get back to me with video card version.

As for your PSU have not heard of them seem to be a Europe thing. If you could give me the specs on the PSU I could help there.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    I'm on a Skylake with no problems (albeit a laptop skylake :D).
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    I suggest getting a good XFX powersupply, or an EVGA one at the very least. The one you have now is pretty good (from the advanced reviews I have read), so other than that I think it is a wonderful build.
    Koden wrote: »
    Imho you should rather go for a Seasonic-derivated psu (Seasonic own units, or Antec, Corsair, etc) instead of that one.

Be Quiet! PSUs are pretty great PSUs. Corsair, unless he gets one from the higher versions, are notorious for poor quality and heat issues, as well as blowing up (CX/m builds) or dying relatively quick. Antec is a no no too.

Be Quiet!, higher end Corsair (that costs a lot), EVGA, Seasonic (as you mentioned already) and XFX are considered the best PSUs to get right now. Cooler Master has some higher end PSUs that are great, too.

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 206Player
    Well, I think I will go with that psu, according to several reviews it's not the best, but a really good one.

Regarding the ssd, I even thought about to take the 120GB, because I always have only OS + games installed on the ssd, the rest on hdd. I'm sure it will fit.

The only doubts I have now is the arctic freezer i30, sure it's better than an intel boxed, maybe a better couldn't be a wrong choice. But which one?? :|

I sold my asus g750 and want to have something new. Only the screen is an older one, Asus vg248qe, got it for a good price.

And additionally I'm going to buy a razer deathstalker chroma today....like the flat keys.
    The only doubts I have now is the arctic freezer i30, sure it's better than an intel boxed, maybe a better couldn't be a wrong choice. But which one?? :|
    Some of the monster coolers like Noctua NH-D15.
    I got the predecessor(D14), im running it with ultra low noise resistors and it still keeps my cpu well withing safe range.
    Warning tho, some of those coolers will come in conflict with the ram slots, so low profile ram is recommended.
    You also need a pretty gig case so that the cooler actually fits, and they are not really suited for LAN boxes(they are heavy)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    edited February 2016
    The cooler you've mentioned looks good to me, I went for a trusty Cooler Master 412s CPU cooler, which is doing a great job of keeping my OC'd i5 cosy. I looked into getting an AIO water block cooler but tbh, I'm just too weary.. PC's already cost a lot of money to then be trusting liquids anywhere near it :lol:

On the subject of PSU's.. I've been using the same Antec 550w semi modular PSU for years, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Antec.. http://www.amazon.com/Antec-BP550-Plus-ATX12V-Modular/dp/B0017KE3DM , it's been the spark behind 3 very different PC builds (a switch from AMD/Ati to Intel/Nvidia) and it's still happily powering my PC right now. If I ever SLi then I would have to change but I'm not hardcore or near enthusiast enough to go buying another GPU.. 'just because' :lol:

What are your current PC specs if you don't mind? like what PSU do you have now and would it suffice to carry over? maybe you can use some donor parts from your old build to save on costs, in turn allowing a bigger budget for new stuff :)
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited February 2016
    Go for the 500GB SSD by Samsung. You will need the space... believe me.
    Power Supply... EVGA, Corsair, Thermaltake.

You don't need the 16GB of ram just yet so save $50 and put toward something else. Like more watts for your PSU. You can always add RAM later and easily. You need to look at 850 w PSU's.
    googley avatar aapg

IO_i_OI wrote: »
    Like more watts for your PSU. You need to look at 850 w PSU's.
    Why should he buy a 850W psu for a rig thats going to pull something like 300W from the wall?
    (you cant get a 300W psu with enough connectors for a high end video cad tho)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    My fav go-to guide (http://www.logicalincrements.com/ ) recommends something in the 650W - 750W range. (They're also really fond of the Noctua fans Frankof recommended earlier.)

If you're not going for a larger SSD, HDDs are very cheap. I've liked RAID 1 arrays in the past for data protection (has saved me a few times now). Cloud-based system backups are also getting cheaper, but I haven't experienced restoring from one yet.

You don't need the 16GB of ram just yet so save $50 and put toward something else. Like more watts for your PSU. You can always add RAM later and easily. You need to look at 850 w PSU's.

No he doesn't. The 900 series uses like half power @ same performance as previous series.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    edited February 2016
    According the SSD, I have that same exact one, same size as well. I still have 100GB of unused space on it and I have this pc since April 2015, didn't set it up newly yet. The only games I have installed are CS:GO, AA:PG and LoL though. Then obviously some programs because why not use the space I don't need. So if you aren't the type of player that cries when looking at https://steamdb.info/calculator/ you should be fine with the 250GB one.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    According the SSD, I have that same exact one, same size as well. I still have 100GB of unused space on it and I have this pc since April 2015, didn't set it up newly yet. The only games I have installed are CS:GO, AA:PG and LoL though. Then obviously some programs because why not use the space I don't need. So if you aren't the type of player that cries when looking at https://steamdb.info/calculator/ you should be fine with the 250GB one.

I think FunPolice wins that contest. I figure your game library deserves to be worth more than the PC it's played on :smiley:
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Saccho wrote: »
    SSKnecabo wrote: »

I think FunPolice wins that contest. I figure your game library deserves to be worth more than the PC it's played on :smiley:

When we did that thing on work I was losing so badly.. <100€ against 2 and 3k guys, then we got owned by one with 7k€ lol..
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »

No he doesn't. The 900 series uses like half power @ same performance as previous series.

You are not looking ahead. Chances are you will update your GPU before going for the new Case, MB, and CPU. Add to that all the other peripherals you might add on.. DVD/Bluray, more HD's etc. The difference in price to get 850 watts is negligible and cost efficient, and also allows SLI config if you want to go that route.
    googley avatar aapg

edited February 2016
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »

You are not looking ahead. Chances are you will update your GPU before going for the new Case, MB, and CPU. Add to that all the other peripherals you might add on.. DVD/Bluray, more HD's etc. The difference in price to get 850 watts is negligible and cost efficient, and also allows SLI config if you want to go that route.

Wrong...I am looking ahead GPU's are only getting more power efficient with each release.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html

Measured power consumption GTX 970 2-way SLI

System in IDLE = 123 Watts
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 439 Watts
    Difference (GPU load) = 316 Watts
    Add average IDLE wattage ~10 Watts
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 326 Watts

If he was to go SLI route which doesn't make too much sense. To do. The extra money would be better put to have bigger sized SSD.

1 GTX 970
    Thermal and Power Specs:
    98 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
    145 WGraphics Card Power (W)
    500 WRecommended System Power (W)**
    2x 6-pinsSupplementary Power Connectors

1 GTX 770
    Thermal and Power Specs:
    98 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
    230 WGraphics Card Power (W)
    600 WMinimum Recommended System Power (W)
    One 8-pin and one 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

1 GTX 670
    Thermal and Power Specs:
    97 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
    170 WMaximum Graphics Card Power (W)
    500 WMinimum System Power Requirement (W)5
    Two 6-pinSupplementary Power Connectors

1 GTX 570
    Thermal and Power Specs
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 97 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 219 W
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W)4 550 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors4 Two 6-pin

1 GTX 470
    Thermal and Power Specs
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 550 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors Two 6-pins

1 GTX 275
    Thermal and Power Specs
    Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 219 W
    Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 550 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin x2

So yah expect Nvidias next gen (Pascal) to be even more power efficient and then the next gen after that (Volta) to be even more power efficient.

BTW a 1070 is expected to be 2x more performance per watt. Meaning same performance of gtx 970 would be half the watts needed.

• Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    edited February 2016

He doesn't need 850w, especially if he is using a Nvidia card like the 970. He could do just fine with a high quality 600-650w PSU. Not even upgrades, unless he crossfires AMD cards, will need to have such headroom. Unless he plans on upgrading to dual AMD cards and then OC them like mad...but even then power consumption is slowly going back down (even slower for AMD but whatever).

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis