Processor speed question

2»

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,191Player
    edited February 2016
    Here's a good one for ya.. the quite massive improvement in framerate I got over the 6970 has somehow made me worse at the game, I even found that I had to turn my sensitivity down :lol:

It's like I know how to play.. but have to get used to the feel of the game again, much like after a long break. Wierd huh?

oh and worth a mention is that them pauses/stutters that have plagued me forever.. no longer happen, which is a very welcome perk. It's games like Crysis 3, DayZ (which is the most poorly optimized game I think I've ever played) and GTA that I see and enjoy a real difference though. I post here a lot, could say I might as well live here.. but the card wasn't bought solely for this game.. I can even run Batman Arkham Knight now, which before the upgrade had terrible screen tearing and artifacting so I'm really looking forward to settling down to that one :+1:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Bass-JunkieBass-Junkie Posts: 16Player
    Yes 2700k @ 5.0 ghz 24/7 at 1.45 vcore all day will and can post screen shots and even a live video no on ever bielves it lol. Since day 1 I got it in 2013 she's still puring away . And yes over clocking from 3.9 ghz to even 4.5 is noticeable in cpu intensive games and when u run sli u see huge improvement in fps . Stalker for instance at 5.0ghz compared to 3.9 is 19 fps my 2700k at 5.0 ghz is as good as a stalk 6700k I compared fps in videos and a friends fps in some games not much of a difence till you try unreal games or stalker hl2 games cpu oc u see large results also less gpu ussage drops when in intensive situations
    b_460x42_C2E3226-5A6C3E-383F2D-D2E1B5-FF9900-FFCC00.png
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Overclocks do not harm the CPU, it is the voltage you put into them that causes the problems. As long as you do not feed it too much, the hit to the lifespan is minimum, unless it is constantly baking in its heat. The likelihood of it all is that you will upgrade that CPU long before it ever reaches its end of life. And you also have to consider the CPU itself; some can handle it better than others. For example, if a CPU is said to have a twelve year life span, OCing is not going to cut it down to like two or three years, if that is what you are worrying about. :)

Though it is generally considered unwise to run CPU OCs over 1.3v and without a aftermarket solution 24/7. So I'd have to ask, what kind of cooling solutions do you have? Is airflow in the PC adequate? Have you tried other options in your BIOS to adjust the OC to make it stable so that you can run down the voltage a bit?

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    iNv|eKComm wrote: »
    i run 660Ti. I'll kill you.

on a serious note. Its the first thing im upgrading when the time comes.

That card stopped working for AAPG for me since over a year ago. I was never able to install the latest drivers without my game just crashing after half an hour. Tried every single driver since it first occured, same stuff for like 5 drivers.. Great card otherwise.
    Always run unpark cpu app on fresh install of windows helps with ht on and better cpu ussage fps In games.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    I've always overclocked. Right now I'm 24/7 @4.7ghz with a lower vcore than stock turbo running 4.5ghz. Could go higher but no need I already exceed my needed constant fps

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    Ran my max multiplyer on my cpu and the max I can boot to desk top with out blue screen and running a game with out a bsod is 5.2 ghz ( only stable @ 1.51 vcore) if was on nicer water I would try 5.4 ghz but I donts got a spare cpu kicking around lol . I did try 4.9 ghz hyper threading on but she needed 1.485 vcore ht off 5.0ghz 1.45 ish ( 1.47 100% load ) .
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    edited February 2016
    So to go 5.0Ghz you need to submerge the CPU underwater or use liquid nitrogen. Is that what I read from overclock.net? We are talking running it for 24 hours not 24 milliseconds.
    googley avatar aapg

Oh [TOS Violation] no I'm on air cooling h100 like a old school tunic tower heat sync with 2 120 on each side prime 95 I'm 84c 100% load for 5 hrs . Gaming she's under 67c far cry 4 around 72 c. Been like that since 2013 the newer 4th Gen 5th 6 Gen i7s run hotter than sandy bridge
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    iNv|eKComm wrote: »
    i run 660Ti. I'll kill you.

on a serious note. Its the first thing im upgrading when the time comes.

Wait for Pascal this summer. Cards will be 4096 bit instead of 256bit -384bit or w/e as well as many other things pascal will bring. You have a gtx 660ti so upgrading is not a huge issue. If you have a very old card though than upgrading should be a priority. Only reason to upgrade now would be to get a gtx 970 or higher if you are loaded with money and can waste the money on it.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

edited February 2016
    Always run unpark cpu app on fresh install of windows helps with ht on and better cpu ussage fps In games.

I started doing the same last year.

On a side note/off topic note:

The decision to run this game Directx 9 was so more people could play and enjoy the game right? Well the fact is no one with a directx 9 card can even run this game. The very last card that supported Directx 9 was the geforce 7000 series LOL! The best single GPU from the 7000 series was released September 14, 2006 ... It had 512mb DDR3 "GeForce 7950 GT replaces the older GeForce 7900 GT and improves performance: the GeForce 7950 GT has a fillrate of 13,200 Megatexels/s and a memory bandwidth of 44.8 GB/s (versus 10800 Megatexels/s and 940 Megavertices/s for the 7900 GT)."
    It also had a 550 MHz core clock, 700 MHz (1400 MHz effective) memory clock, 24 pixel shader units. Yeah this card can't even run the game. I have a Nvidia 610GT or 620GT or 640GT in my moms computer that only gets 20fps when moving around. 30 when idle...Why are we forced to play on Directx 9 if nobody is on a dx9 card playing this game? Why is there no directx11 option when 99%-100% of players are on a directx 11 GPU less than 1% might be on directx 10 cards but highly doubt very many if any.

Forgot to mention make.sure hyper threading is on when u unpark cpu cores with app on fresh instal of windows
    edited February 2016
    Forgot to mention make.sure hyper threading is on when u unpark cpu cores with app on fresh instal of windows

I dont got hyper threading. I went with i5 3570k instead of i7 3770k.

Interesting thing i read here too http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/3570k-with-unlocked-hyperthreading.202111/
    "From what I've heard (from an Intel employee) All of the i3s, i5s, and i7s, are the same exact die, just disabled HT/ cores. The i5 is just an i7 without HT. There is software to turn it on/off but it's Intel-only. Or so I was told. "

Interesting , some apps beniifit from hyper threading , most games do not except for these few I have tested , red orchestra 2 / rising storm ht on gave me a 29 fps boost with less drops tested 3 times , crysis 3 you will see a a boost of 4 to 13 fps more fps increase in the grassy ereas , metro 2033 / last light in game and benchmarks you will see a slight few fps more those I have tested and know ht boosts fps . Others I haven't tested . I was a astounded when red oreschstra 2 ht on gave me a 19 fps increase as its stupidly cpu dependant .
    Just wish americas army had a ( working sli ) profile for this game ..... digging around months/ years of forums in found a sli profile but gpu #1 is 99% gpu #2 is 66% ussage ( broken sli ) .
    Interesting , some apps beniifit from hyper threading , most games do not except for these few I have tested , red orchestra 2 / rising storm ht on gave me a 29 fps boost with less drops tested 3 times , crysis 3 you will see a a boost of 4 to 13 fps more fps increase in the grassy ereas , metro 2033 / last light in game and benchmarks you will see a slight few fps more those I have tested and know ht boosts fps . Others I haven't tested . I was a astounded when red oreschstra 2 ht on gave me a 19 fps increase as its stupidly cpu dependant .

That is very weird you got FPS boost for Red Oreschstra 2 considering it is Unreal Engine 3 and that engine only uses 1 CPU core.

Yes I know I tested it 3 times to make sure to 4 cores @5.0ghz ht off vs 4 cores 4 threads @5.0ghz ht on same map same evrything only flicking ht on . Crysis 3 likes ht poll cause it wants a 6 core or csn use up to 6