Great Outdoors Map Contest: Runners Up

[Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 328Developer
edited February 2016 in News & Announcements
We have decided on our three winning maps for the competition and will be announcing one a day over the next three days. This will give each winner a little bit of time in the spotlight. We will wrap things up on Friday when we spend some time playing the three winning maps with the community. Before we get to all that though, we wanted to take some time to recognize a couple of other outstanding maps in the competition. These maps have some things that really stood out to us, but also had some other issues that kept them out the winning group.

First up is Ghost Rider. This is a very nice 6v6 map that is well constructed and is a lot of fun to play. The layout of the map makes navigating the playspace a pleasure. There are a number of environmental objects to run up and climb, allowing players to find 'hidden' spots on the map. Beyond that, Ronniii*DK did a great job listening and responding to feedback throughout the competition. The additional playspace added around the flag area (including moving the flag a bit) helped to open up a very high traffic portion of the map. There was also a noticeable effort to attempt to bring more nature into the surrounding areas of the map. Unfortunately, those efforts weren't enough to make us feel comfortable labeling this a 'Great Outdoors' map. We felt that, despite how enjoyable the map is, it was too off theme to make it in to the final 3.

Our second runner up is Creeping. Gindungo did a great job of really nailing the feel of this swamp map. It is a unique atmosphere that allows the map to immediately stand out from the crowd. This atmosphere was further reinforced by the way the designer used water in his map. Players can prone in the water, concealing themselves, but must deal with blurred vision while doing so. The result is players proning to move around and popping back up to engage in combat. The act of rising up out of the murky swamp, guns blazing, felt so cool. Some gameplay issues kept the map from reaching our final 3. For as well executed as the swamp felt, the military base portion of the map felt a bit clunky and unnecessary. The sniper tower in the middle of the base also felt unwieldy and hard to use. The defense team seems to have very few good options available to them and most rounds end with the attackers picking them apart. The lack of balance and lack of fun many of us found on defense is keeping this map out of the final 3, but that shouldn't detract from the great atmosphere this map creates.

Congratulations to these two creators for buildings some great maps, even if they did fall just a bit short of winning. We will be having a new contest spinning up soon and we look forward to seeing what these map creators can bring to the table.

Comments

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,114Beta Tester
    Good job guy. :+1:

I do enjoy playing creeping.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    Good Job guys both are awesome maps fun to play
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited February 2016
    Good job guys, Ghost rider seemed like a good map, but I would agree it did not fit the theme very well. Very good job Ronniii*DK, if this was a 6v6 only theme or some other type of theme I think your map would of made it. I look forward to seeing your work in future competitions!

As for creeping it had some serious potential due to a decent layout of routes. I think lack of experience(objectives all shootable wood, Tower on the map, etc...just my opinion) got the best of this map. I hope to see more from you in the future Gindungo!

I just want to say to everyone who made a map. Thank you for dedicating your time to help this community grow. Everyone in Top 10 did really well overall. Each map had its minor issues...some bigger than others. Don't let the fact your map didn't make it stop you guys from achieving greatness. I look forward to seeing what everyone can do in future User Made Map Competitions.

For the next competition, I would really like to see a 6v6 BDX only competition. Where 3 winners are once again picked. We need more 6v6 maps. But we also needed more 12v12 maps. I think it's time to get some more BDX maps, IMO.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    edited February 2016
    I can't remember if I've played GhostRider. I have played Creeping, I agree with the assessment. Layout is actually good, atmosphere is great (although it's a bit too easy to hide), but playing defense is brutal. The map definitely has a lot of potential, I hope the mapper continues to improve it after the competition.
    .dc-colts^ wrote: »
    For the next competition, I would really like to see a 6v6 BDX only competition. Where 3 winners are once again picked. We need more 6v6 maps. But we also needed more 12v12 maps. I think it's time to get some more BDX maps, IMO.

I think there are plenty of maps that can work in both 6v6 and 12v12. It's just a matter of getting a sweet spot in map size.

Either way, I'm assuming the next competition will be a classic AA remake competition since many people have previously called for it and the Devs have expressed an interest in doing it. The main thing here would be that people should have to change the original map in some way (e.g., make the textures, models, theme different from the original). Pretty much, no direct ports.

Again, certain AA2 & AA3 maps play well in large servers as well as smaller servers. So if the right maps are chosen then it can work out well.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Everyone did some great work. Good Job!!
    googley avatar aapg

• `xinoN`xinoN Posts: 351Player
    I just want to say to everyone who made a map. Thank you for dedicating your time to help this community grow. Everyone in Top 10 did really well overall. Each map had its minor issues...some bigger than others. Don't let the fact your map didn't make it stop you guys from achieving greatness. I look forward to seeing what everyone can do in future User Made Map Competitions.

This. Please keep entering the competitions! Thank you everyone!
    Oh well.
  • =R*C=TeEeJai!=R*C=TeEeJai! Posts: 26Player
    Congrats and great work on the maps :)
  • CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    Well said, Colts. :)

Thanks, all!
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Good job guys! And also thanks, to you and to the other map makers. Your content rocks!

(I still haven't been able to play Ghost Rider on a server yet. It looks so fun, too. )

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    Great work guys.. really, all the top 10 maps (even a lot of the maps that didnt make it too) were all fun to play I thought, each bringing thier own looks and feels. What I enjoy the most is that with lot of them you can really tell how much thought and effort was put into creating your playspaces. Man, it blows me away everytime I look in the workshop. Keep up the sterling work!

Colts you brought a tear to an Englishmans eye, I know you don't want my gratitude.. but good on ya son! Very well said :+1:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• I would like to thank you all. You have all been a great help. Think that you can put as much care and energy in a map ... down to every detail, there are many beautiful maps. It's been great to be part of this contest. Good luck to the rest of the guys :)