Game Update Notes (11 Feb 2016)

2»

Comments

• ^]-[ammer_T!me!^]-[ammer_T!me! Posts: 91Player
    Saccho wrote: »
    "^ wrote:
    -[ammer_T!me!;34439"]Is it possible to avoid downloading the UMMs before joining the server that has them? What if I want to join and just play Downtown, it is a bit dumb to force me to DL 6 other maps that the server is supporting.

You can open console and "open 128.0.0.1" to force the client to attempt a join without checking for maps.

Yeah with open server IP it works, but IMO it is not a good decision to force us to DL UMMs via join button. It could have been an option you select, like before.

i5 4690K/970GTX/16GB/XL2411/Win10

aastats.com
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,096Player
    edited February 2016
    Would be nice if there was an option to download while you play. Obviously the download speed would have to be capped in order to prevent crazy pings. However if someone's connection is fast enough to support it, then it'd be a time saver for many.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    Not really, easy fix. Just set it up as redirect.

Here is how it would work flawless. Serve admins would still use Steam to upload maps and update the server as the maps got update in steam. However, one more step would be needed, redirect server. Admins would pull the map from their server and added to redirect sever, which most of not all server providers give you for free or few bucks a month nowadays.

This way you'd have perfect system and clients would download 1 map at a time from redirect server and not worry about lagging or high pings from the server it self.

Unreal engine already has built in download system. With little more code you can use it.

Only draw back on system like this would be the redirect server download speeds.

But overall this system has been proven to work. The steam system hasn't, game after game after game.

So yeah, use steam to allow mappers to upload their maps, use steam to allow admins to upload the maps to their server and that's it.

Control every thing else via the built in system. And redirect should be the main source for the client.
  • Root-AccessRoot-Access Posts: 510Player
    Nice updates. The last one sounds really interesting. :)

ss_4_Root-Access.png
    "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it." — Jefferson Davis
  • TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    Yes please, don't force to download ALL server maps you want to join, just the one is at that moment.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,183Player
    Didn't want to spam the congratulatory thread with nonsense but these announcement posts don't seem have a NEW tag when you post them up and with them being placed at the top of the forum they don't show in recent discussions either unless someone posts in it and I happen to look at the latest discussion box.

What I'm trying to say is I'm completely missing any announcement posts you guys make. Which is kinda not good :(

Holy Heck (cuz i cant use the other word that fits better) I'm quickly reaching my year of birth in post count value!
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    Didn't want to spam the congratulatory thread with nonsense but these announcement posts don't seem have a NEW tag when you post them up and with them being placed at the top of the forum they don't show in recent discussions either unless someone posts in it and I happen to look at the latest discussion box.

What I'm trying to say is I'm completely missing any announcement posts you guys make. Which is kinda not good :(

Holy Heck (cuz i cant use the other word that fits better) I'm quickly reaching my year of birth in post count value!

We really could stand to have a "new" section in the categories box...and a "top" / "bottom" tab at header and footer of thread.
    "9 people make up over 50% of all of the posts on this forums.
    The VAST majority of our players just play."