[Beta Release] Academia

EJtheKEJtheK Posts: 105Player
Major updates to the preview version have culminated in this Beta Release of Academia UMM.

Ri2O73B.jpg
Time to teach OpFor a lesson... literally. This indoor UMM features an academic environment with three objectives to activate. Gameplay can be aggressive or defensive, and can accommodate quick or strategic play.
ejKkwnp.jpg
This large map features a lecture hall, science lab, library, computer lab, gymnasium, pool, study hall, food court, warehouse, courtyard, classroom, boardroom, washrooms, hallways, etc. Plenty of places to rout out OpFor!
rTgdP1J.jpg
Subscribe on Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=610496207

Many more screenshots available on the Workshop page.

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone willing to test play or load on their servers, thanks!

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,608Beta Tester
    What's the storyline.....the background....of this map? What's the inspiration?

How long have you been working on it?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • EJtheKEJtheK Posts: 105Player
    Honestly, I was trying to think of an environment not yet done and came up with this. Thanks to the competition, we have lots of nice outdoor maps now, so I decided to try an indoor one.

Many, many hours have been put into it... more to come, if it's any good. Since I haven't had any uptake on my previous maps, I tried to put more careful thought into the flow and timing, mimicking (or trying to) the official maps. I was also planning to use it to learn how to make my own models... included a few in the library so far.
  • {RR}-Maclobster{RR}-Maclobster Posts: 218Beta Tester
    That looks realy great :+1:
    (\/) (',,') (\/)
    Pipeline
    HonorTown
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    Yes nice job i look forward to giving it a run around soon
    Thanks Flops, I'd really like to hear your opinion. Your maps are really fun to play.

There's more refinement needed, and location reporting volumes, sound, more eye candy, etc... but it should be playable as is, and I'd kinda like to be sure gameplay works before investing any more time at this point.
  • ^]-[ammer_T!me!^]-[ammer_T!me! Posts: 91Player
    This looks really nice and refreshing EJtheK!

i5 4690K/970GTX/16GB/XL2411/Win10

aastats.com
    So... it turns out that you should never use textures called "deleteme". They show up fine in the editor, but don't publish. The texture is missing on the warehouse walls in Attack spawn. I'll update once I've got an hour and half I can dedicate my machine to do the lighting render.

Other than that, I think all the rest of the textures are okay. (I know there are some small overlaps here and there.)
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Just when I thought college was over... +1.png
    googley avatar aapg

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    edited February 2016
    Just played a shortish game of this. I love the detail and such. You can tell a lot of work was put into it.

The one thing I was trying to get an idea of was whether the flow/size was right. I'm think I'd need to play it more. At first I felt like a lot of rounds ended up with situations where there'd be one guy left and everyone running around trying to find him. As it went along, it seemed like the rounds played out faster. Either way, I like it, just not sure right now how I'd make it better.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    Thanks Whiplash.

I purposefully set a longer game timer because I didn't know without real testing what was a reasonable time to take all three objectives. That can easily be adjusted to keep the pressure on the attack team.

I spectated a few matches today and found the same thing as you. Being a large map, it takes a few rounds for new players to get oriented. However I too noticed that rounds got quicker the more players became familiar with the layout. I was surprised by a few things I noticed, but also feel my initial engagement timings are pretty balanced for the first try.

Overall I was going for: equal timings for both teams to reach at least two objectives; a few options for attack routes, while maintaining key chokepoints and not frustrating defense entirely; limiting camping spots... maintaining the need to be situationally aware at all times. There are probably a lot more "dead zones" than Inner Hospital where there will be little real action, but I found it difficult to cut any more real estate and still keep the theme and ambience I was going for.

The matches I witnessed had close scores between both teams, so hopefully it is a sign that there is some balance to the play.
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    edited February 2016
    Yeah this map plays well and is fun to play also , you can tell this took some time the detail is awesome and i think thats what attracts people the most as well as i havent found one glitch or flaw in this map yet , everyone who has played it loves it , nice work EJ well done . There is only one thing i would change and that would be some sounds , ambient and what not , the foot steps until the sound is fixed is this game are super loud so there is no problem hearing anyone coming which slows things down a lot , people trying to be quiet and all
  • [1%R]Moreno[1%R]Moreno Posts: 24Player
    Great looking map, I be sure to play it once I see it live on a server.
    An update has just been published to Steam Workshop.

I've made some minor changes to the map and added some visual enhancements.

Next update will likely focus on location reporting and sounds.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Sorry folks... had to cancel the update and revert back to the first Beta version :(

Something I did broke the game... time to troubleshoot... argh.
    Ok... went back and re-did a modest update this time. At least the textures are now fixed. I guess I'll be a little less ambitious between releases.
    A new update has been published... some key areas have been tweaked and some new textures and sounds added. Hope you like it!
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,163Beta Tester
    So was the captures the problem?
    Wolverine... yes, it appears that was the issue.

Apparently SceneCaptureReflectActors are not supported by AAGame client/server, although they work fine in the UDK Editor. A shame really, as it was providing me some cool effects.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,163Beta Tester
    Ok cool, I'm glad you fixed it. By the way you can use cameras to achieve what you were trying to do.
    I was trying to make working bathroom mirrors. In some previous testing, I found that cameras were not the best for that since they only capture from a single point, so the angles look funny the closer you get to the mirror. The ReflectActors properly capture from the entire surface and give the right perspective from any angle.