Damage Model

I've always been a proponent of a working damage model. With a damage model, you move slower based on your health %.

I feel that it's a necessary addition for this game. As a new player you receive no feedback on how you've hurt a player if you haven't killed them. It puts pressure on rushers in that they now have to make a more tactical decision on how to attack in that if they get hit, they are basically bait for the following opponents.

What is everyone's take on it these days?
Fragweiser Website
Make AA Great Again!

Comments

• Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    Think they decided keeping up with team was the design of AA:PG . Would be cool to keep the same speed but not be able to sprint as far... need rest pockets to power back up, when hurt.
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    You're already being punished into your next engagement by the loss of health and recoil penalties. No need to punish the player even more by making them move slower.

/thread it's been discussed before and that was the killer decision.

Personally I would prefer a revisiting in this department. I would rather a reduction in recoil penalties across the board and a speed reduction of 5% per 25% of health lost (so max at 85% normal speed). I think it would better balance being injured, add some more depth to taking fire while not destroying your ability to compete at low health.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    We've discussed it before internally. There are no plans on adding any kind of movement speed penalties.

We feel it doesn't fit with our game / pace.
  • SithHunterSithHunter Posts: 109Player
    edited May 2015
    So pretty much /thread? But this decision is understandable given how many people like this faster game approach.
  • Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Someone said it here before, probably colts lol. The randomness of your fire/hitreg is penalty enough
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    The damage model I would like to try is 3 body shots = kill .. some are against this but I'd love just to Try it out!!

I see a lot of positives with this simple change... games like Insurgency have 2 shots and it works well for them.

You'd see how much better the hit reg would appear...and less Arcadish.

I could be wrong..it's why I'd like to try it
  • .!.dgodfather.!.dgodfather Posts: 445Player
    What you have now leaves you all to often scratching your head. I don't believe they can 100% fix the hit reg/latency. It must be something with UE or the net code they use. AA3 used UE3 and it had generally the same problems. It really doesn't play a lot different than AA3 in regards to hit reg/latency. All along they've tried methods of masking it. The only solution that does that (masks the much larger problem) is a damage model.
    Fragweiser Website
    Make AA Great Again!
  • frankoffrankof Posts: 1,018Moderator
    AA3 used UE3 and it had generally the same problems. It really doesn't play a lot different than AA3 in regards to hit reg/latency..
    AA3 had a lot more server side confirmation of a lot of "stuff", imho, AA:PG is better on that part at least.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    What you have now leaves you all to often scratching your head. I don't believe they can 100% fix the hit reg/latency..

So 1 solution is lowering number of shots to kill, as suggested. Besides right now it takes 4 body shots, in Insurgency it takes 2, in BF3 (probably 4 also) it takes 4 .. If were to target ourselves somewhere between a realistic tactical shooter and an arcadish shooter, it would make sense to be at 3.

My argument still stands with the one patch that had the double damage bug.. everyone thought the hit reg was awesome.. to me it seems people want the reward that comes with shooting someone.

Right now you shoot someone, if he doesnt die the typical response is "omg this game sucks", "omg hit reg is horrible" .. meanwhile that guys at 15% health... that one bullet takes away thousands of those instances resulting in what seems like a better hit reg.

people I make so much sense it hurts my brain right now :D
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    What you have now leaves you all to often scratching your head. I don't believe they can 100% fix the hit reg/latency..

So 1 solution is lowering number of shots to kill, as suggested. Besides right now it takes 4 body shots, in Insurgency it takes 2, in BF3 (probably 4 also) it takes 4 .. If were to target ourselves somewhere between a realistic tactical shooter and an arcadish shooter, it would make sense to be at 3.

My argument still stands with the one patch that had the double damage bug.. everyone thought the hit reg was awesome.. to me it seems people want the reward that comes with shooting someone.

Right now you shoot someone, if he doesnt die the typical response is "omg this game sucks", "omg hit reg is horrible" .. meanwhile that guys at 15% health... that one bullet takes away thousands of those instances resulting in what seems like a better hit reg.

I agree that a huge part of "bad hitreg" complaints comes down to player perception. I'm sure many of us have watched somebody spray into the ceiling with poor recoil control and then heard the in-game VOIP -- "How is he still alive, I lit him up!?!?!"

On 3 hits to kill: I think it would be bad for weapon balance. The M4/M16 would become more dominant (again? still?).

I've said before that I'd really like to see damage reports of some sort. I still think that could be helpful both for diagnosing issues and for providing player feedback.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,187Player
    edited May 2015

Indeed :)

Shoot someone, 1 bullet FTW.. after he got naded to kingdom come and is on 10% health (you didn't know that), then hit reg is Awesome!
    Shoot someone (who's at full health, you also don't know that) twice with bullets and the dude 180 spins.. shoots back at you and hits your face, kinda lucky but meh.. hit reg is BAD.

To say hit reg is bad you really need some sort of proof to support it, like Hbk's did with his sniper videos.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    If you are playing alot of sniper you'll notice how bad hit reg sometimes is. I can post a few videos if you want me to but there is definitely alot wrong about it.
  • KodenKoden Posts: 284Player
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »
    If you are playing alot of sniper you'll notice how bad hit reg sometimes is. I can post a few videos if you want me to but there is definitely alot wrong about it.

It is. But is it just me or the hit reg was better back in time, say before RFI-3?
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    BCPull wrote: »
    I've said before that I'd really like to see damage reports of some sort. I still think that could be helpful both for diagnosing issues and for providing player feedback.

that's a good way for frustrated players to analyze those frustrating situations, and maybe ease some of it... how many times have you been in a pub and the enemy guy is cursing when he loses a firefight, and asks over voip if he hit you and for how much... really this sort of feature would be worth spending the effort to implement...
  • super6-1super6-1 Posts: 100Player
    AA3 did a great job on the health system. A system not too unlike what Doba was saying where 3 shots kill. Armor that can take 2 shots, but a third to chest /torso would put you down. I think 3 to the torso from an M4 is very reasonable, and would be a great improvement.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player

Or your EGO is pressing against your cranium? :#

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    i was jokingly suggesting that we get a cool new kevlar helmet feature, like borderlands 2 enemy, where instead of one shot kills to the head it would be a 2 shot kill. 1st shot to the helmet plays a funny animation where the helmet flies right off the player's head! then the follow up shot is the kill shot.
    -
    and then we could add some user made competition for custom helmets and silly facial animations under those helmets and funny audio to go along with it.. when the helmet comes off!
  • .sauce.sauce Posts: 308Player
    Yeah I don't really agree with the idea that hitreg issues don't exist because clear evidence hasn't been given to support it. It's certainly easier to prove with a 1 shot kill weapon and a super zoom scope, and even then shots are deconstructed into absurdity. I am not necessarily saying there are hitreg issues, I'm just saying with the tools available to us it's virtually impossible to prove anything.