Great Outdoors Map Contest: The Top 10

Comments

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    No one said 2 choke points, but no one said it cant have lanes, like mud bogging uses trenches and cabin fever uses hills to create this.

Having a flat area with tons of cover/detail creates the most random gameplay, taking your map for example, combining some of the houses, fences even bushes etc. you could make a few distinct lanes that force players into battle.

I hate linear maps such as Downtown but having randomly scattered maps isnt the solution, its finding the balance... again I havent had hrs of time on each map, so these are just initial thoughts.

.. and why does everyone use these baby trees on EVERY map??

This is how to make an outdoor map...

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2015/10/Black-Ops-3_Redwood-2_WM.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefield/images/1/12/BFHL_Backwoods.png/revision/latest?cb=20150722190304

... even star wars uses something similar.. Massive trees give the effect of a huge jungle, with small bushes is the way to go.. yet everyone of these maps have bushes that cover bodies and baby trees .. come on.

A combo of Creeping and ^^ those pictures would have made a great environment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Now I haven't played all the maps yet, but from what I see there are two trends here..

1. Bush heavy maps which create a boring gameplay.
    2. Open maps with randomly placed objects everywhere and no real sense of direction...just scatter everywhere team.
    Only positives I can say is the way Cabin fever uses hills for lanes with a slight combo of tree cover and buildings for obj.
    Love the lighting on patrol trapped but falls right in #2 trend.
    Creeping has a cool environment..however see #1
    Mud bogging is cool, lacks distinct lanes

Sorry Doba, but in an outdoor map you cannot pretend to have 2 chokes point and only two lanes like a 'bedroom' map. 'Bush are boring' is your idea but in an outdoor map bushes could be an important factor. I made 'patrol trapped' and, as already said, is not a 'bedroom' map. The idea is to have two lines of players that, from respective spawnpoints, trying to advance and capture all 'objective sites'. The obj sites are not putted randomly everywhere but two are in positions that could be conquered with flanking maneuvres and not only frontal assault while the third, that in the middle, is disputed frontally and should work as choke point.
    The sense of direction of the teams is from one spawn point against opposite spawn point, trying to gain advantages from natural covers or through the flanks. Is it a bit too large??? Probably yes but i'm not sure....scattered anywhere teams? No, if you can understand that this is not a 'stamp map' and the players approaching it like a 'real' patrol team and not like ninja warriors.
    I appreciate all feedbacks and in this thread most are priceless but i cannot understand your type of message ...... sorry for this...

Agreed . Please do not generalize "boring game play " as in everyone think it is , because honestly hundreds of people are enjoying all these maps
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,033Player
    edited February 2016

because that's all the game gives as a standard asset and most of us aren't exactly modelers. Making a map is one thing, making models is a whole different thing. Some mappers can do both, but most cannot.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    pretty sure Wolverine offered to make assets and help everyone that needed it.. cant really see it hard to make a couple BIG.. or bigger trees.

-Flops- wrote: »

Agreed . Please do not generalize "boring game play " as in everyone think it is , because honestly hundreds of people are enjoying all these maps

Hundreds of people? what.. if it wasnt for the Devs and Betas this server would never be going.. as soon as they leave server dies.

OHh ive got many words for ppl that hide in bushes 2 min at a time, bushes that they themselves cant even see from... oh and generalizing that this is a tactic used by bad players is being 100% on point... and what they feel is good gameplay would simply kill games.

but whatever

• =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    Back on topic.........
    "9 people make up over 50% of all of the posts on this forums.
    The VAST majority of our players just play."
  • [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 328Developer
    We will begin announcing results on Monday. We will roll them out slowly over the course of the week so each of our winners can get a bit of time in the spotlight.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited February 2016
    You got to make it so we can vote on the map change so if alone we can see all the maps. thanks.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    Bam4D wrote: »
    You got to make it so we can vote on the map change so if alone we can see all the maps. thanks.

mr bam4d open your launcher...launch game...go to training :smirk: ...go to user made tab...pick map you want to explore.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Bam, the *M*A*S*H* server has all voting enabled, you can go explore all the maps if you want....
  • =Daniel==Daniel= Posts: 57Player
    @=IK=Doba=

Thanks for the tree Picture, I liked it alot. It´s something I´ll consider to use sometime and still with our limited tree Resources in the editor it´s totally possible to take a "baby tree" and make it bigger.

Not everyone will like these giant Canadian Douglas fur type of trees or bigger fantasy trees sizes. Personally I like them.

edited February 2016
    what? is this real life? someone takes criticism without getting upset ..

You know Pal I tried the editor and had something like that in mind, I just couldnt get anything to work, I couldnt even get the landscape going properly.. I just dont have the skills and get frustrated quickly.

This style of trees is perfect for that "forest" type of feel, these massive trees enclose you, and bushes at the core are more cosmetic rather than functional, as in DONT cover the entire body..

That along with slight elevation changes to mark out paths would imo have been perfect.. its what I had in mid just couldnt get it to paper sort of speak. I did a quick search and behold other games used this type of maps in triple AA titles.. since I dont play anything else really, I didnt know or I would have shown the example sooner.

The best map to fit this would be Cabin Fever.. tone down on the elevation/hills, use the current obj locations and scatter a massive forest around the playing field.. eliminate the bushes.. the cover comes from the core of the massive trees

All these little trees used in every map just doesnt work for me... and I agree the asset is there.. why cant you just stretch it to make it BIG.

• -Flops--Flops- Posts: 354Player

All these little trees used in every map just doesnt work for me... and I agree the asset is there.. why cant you just stretch it to make it BIG.

Because you can only stretch something in the editor so big until it causes you all sorts of trouble , thats why alot of the bigger trees are bought in as assests of a decent size already . or so it has been my experience with stretching stuff
    I mean im no pro but a quick you tube search shows me how to make a tree.. for this comp, detail wasnt important as the Devs can fill in the rest.. anyway besides the point

I like the idea as well, the only thing is you start running into scaling/perception issues. We are dealing witb a flat screen after all. For instance, in your pic Doba, that level looks beautiful but the building seems out of scale to the world. I like it a lot though....Palepatine, maybee we could team up and brainstorm on a level focused on this? What ya think!?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,469Beta Tester
    No one said 2 choke points, but no one said it cant have lanes, like mud bogging uses trenches and cabin fever uses hills to create this.

Having a flat area with tons of cover/detail creates the most random gameplay, taking your map for example, combining some of the houses, fences even bushes etc. you could make a few distinct lanes that force players into battle.

I hate linear maps such as Downtown but having randomly scattered maps isnt the solution, its finding the balance... again I havent had hrs of time on each map, so these are just initial thoughts.

This is how to make an outdoor map...

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2015/10/Black-Ops-3_Redwood-2_WM.jpg

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/battlefield/images/1/12/BFHL_Backwoods.png/revision/latest?cb=20150722190304

... even star wars uses something similar.. Massive trees give the effect of a huge jungle, with small bushes is the way to go.. yet everyone of these maps have bushes that cover bodies and baby trees .. come on.

A combo of Creeping and ^^ those pictures would have made a great environment.

I took a look at these. There is no way those maps, as is, won't cover a player in brush, unless each 'small' bush is blocked.

It is INCREDIBLY difficult to make a true outdoor map work with the game mechanics we have, especially leanpeek and camera position. You end up with even LESS showing than an indoor map.

I love the big trees, but I don't think they'll cure what you hope, Doba.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player

You just made DOBA go into the fetal position and cry momma. No COMP ( Clear Out Maps Please ) player could ever handle the dangers of BUSHES!! ;)

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

• (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 246Player
    You have to learn to speak Doba , he has a style map that he likes and as you stated yours is not a stamp map . I love the map but its lost on folks who play competitively .
    The maps do not need to conform to any one persons ideas , the Devs know what they want and I honestly think its a shame we cant choose more than 3 cause theres a lot of talent out there. Maybe we will have other contests and we get to see more great stuff. :)
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Maybe we will have other contests

We're going to keep it going and spin right into another one very soon.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.