Great Outdoors Map Contest: The Top 10

Comments

• [Dev]Rawrster[Dev]Rawrster Posts: 328Developer
    Hi There

Did u even look at Riverborder i don't think so? if u guys did could i plz get some feedback what's wrong with it??

Best Regards

=[SK]=MooZe^CL

I agree with Caterpillar on a number of his points. The details you put in to things like the river, church, and rope bridge, and city effects were nicely done. The problems, for me, come when you look at the map at a large scale. The objectives seem too far strung out, which leads to a lot of dead running time. While you obviously spent a lot of time building out your city spaces, the areas lack character. The terrain in the city areas is entirely flat and movement options through areas seem a bit weak. You spend a lot of time moving from building to build, while cross some flat fields in between. City areas also lack any good identifiers, making it hard to tell (and communicate) which city section I am in. The church, while very nicely done, isn't built to support very good firefights. The main rooms are empty, with the exception of the pews (which kind of just restrict movement in that area) and the window heights in the belltower seem awkward. Their current height does limit sniper sightlines a bit, but they also makes the sniper much harder to see up there. Players can probably only see the snipers head out of those windows. Only have two routes to the church area is also a concern. With such a large playspace it would be good to provide players with multiple options for entering that area. A bit of variety is always good, in general. It appears players can climb up the rocks in some spots to reach the church, but those spots aren't easily identifiable.

My recommendations would be to cut out some unneeded space. Remove some of the city space (particularly on the sides, keep them closer in to the church) and keep the majority of the city space just around the objectives. By doing this you simplify the map a bit and provide yourself the opportunity to really flesh these smaller areas out. Once the city areas around objectives have more character and some more varied gameplay options, you can begin cleaning up (and adding additional) route options between these city areas and the church.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    Resistance: Not sure how this map made into top 10. There is 2 objectives in it totally not understanding what the point of 2 objectives in map is for. Both objectives are right beside each other it makes the outside of the map high hills area useless. What is the point of having 2 objectives if they are in the exact same location? 1 objective should be in the left side hills, another objective in right side hills, then another objective on the bridge in the train.

For the other maps with the huge towers that give you a vantage point of the whole map, how is that suppose to work? EX. creeping The tower in the map is OP. Not to mention all weapons are unlocked...

Also hills that give you complete coverage with bushes, trees, etc... Make m14 sniping easy. EX: cabin fever should have 1 acog m16 allowed per team, then the sniper role should be 1 sniper only: m14 or m24. Since its not possible to restriction the DM role to 1 m16 acog only and no m14 it should just be 1 sniper role m14 or m24.

Some of these maps have some serious potential but they all seem to have huge flaws. EX. All Terrain both teams are going for the flag. Then you have 2 objective locations one side has complete control of each one. 2 extraction points cannot work when both teams are attacking.

Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• StackEmUp!StackEmUp! Posts: 145Player
    Congratulations to the top 10...nice work guys!
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    Really enjoyed playing with the Devs and the rest this afternoon. My favorite were Cabin Fever, Creeping (minus the OP tower), Mudboggin, and Stone Ruins (in no particular order.)

Stone Ruins could use some verticality, but the foggy stone theme was nice. Mudboggin struck a good balance between all the weapons.

- I thought Ghost Rider, while nice, was simply too cluttered and far too many little corners to check.
    - JungleHunt had a nice layout but the high grass below made any proning enemy invisible, the to routes also need reworking.
    - PatrolTrapped needs verticality for sure. It also seems a bit messy, doesn't really use much of the environment besides being outside. This map had the most collision issues.
    - Resistance was beautiful to look at, much it plays out very one dimensional. Either run to the hills an snipe, or run to the train and hope you survive. The two objectives are entirely too close.
    - SmallTerrain has a great layout, but whatever team grabbed the flag first usually won. It was either players went for the flag and died trying, or players were off in thehills killing each other, it lacked cohesion.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Really enjoyed playing with the Devs and the rest this afternoon. My favorite were Cabin Fever, Creeping (minus the OP tower), Mudboggin, and Stone Ruins (in no particular order.)
    - PatrolTrapped needs verticality for sure. It also seems a bit messy, doesn't really use much of the environment besides being outside. This map had the most collision issues.
    Sorry but i cannot understand at which kind of collision are you referring. I don't note collision issues, can you make me some examples? The borders are limited by wood fences, are you referring to these?
    About the vertically i know it but i wanted to represent a patrol route in an open countryside, i dont imagine much verticality on it. Anyway it is my personal opinion after all.
  • .6ix.AliGator.6ix.AliGator Posts: 165Player
    Just played all the maps and wanted to share my thoughts. Also wanted to let everyone know that I have no map design experience and I looked at these maps from a pubstar/comp player perspective.

All Terain: Spam nades. That basically sums the map. Unfortunately I see 0 potential for this map to be part of Comp. I mean what if you camp extraction and kill the guy with the flag and then run it in?
    Stone Ruins: I liked it overall, the blue color theme seems very unnatural (kind of how everyone hated intercept and the devs changed it). Also I wasn't really a fan of the fog in the map. I'm not sure if its a bug but you can't shoot through spider webs in the tunnel area?
    Worksite: Best map by far. I absolutely loved everything about this map. It played well, it will definitely be part of comp, and it can work both FLO and BDX.
    Ghost Rider: I couldn't believe my eyes, absolutely beautiful. If the gameplay area is simplified a bit it will be a good map, there are just too many corners to check.
    Patrol trapped: This was very plain looking, nothing special but it played well overall.
    resistance: WAY too big, this map has no comp potential. I also don't understand the point of having two objectives being so close to each other.
    cabin fever: Great map, very fast paced. I only played a few round but Alpha might have a slight advantage.
    Junglehunt: Mixed feelings about this one. I loved the sounds on this map but overall the map felt confusing a bit, and too open in some areas.
    Mud Boggin: I got stuck a lot on this map. Again the fog looked weird to me. Overall it played well.
    Creeping: Only ran around offline mode because everyone voted the next map and said they didn't want to play it. With the fog and all the hiding places, this will never be a comp map

Here are my top 3:

1- Worksite (BY FAR)
    2-Ghost Rider
    3-Cabin Fever/Stone Ruins

ss_4_AliGator...png

• (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 246Player
    Well done everyone, some really good maps here to choose only 3 will be hard I'm sure.
    We run all of these maps on our servers for some time now , and I think that the 5 maps that stand out by way of player enthusiasm would be , Jungle Hunt , Mudboggin , Worksite , Creeping and (SM)All Terrain.
    Just based on the comments we here from the players and the amount that people request them to be played.
    None the less , A good showing from everyone, we look forward to seeing more good stuff from all of you guys'

Thanks to all for the contest.
    Beer_Me Clan
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,031Player
    edited February 2016
    Only thing with worksite is that it reminds me too much of abandoned (it's pretty much the same thing). I haven't played worksite in a while, but the first couple times I played it, I liked abandoned more. Abandoned was one of my favorite UMMs, so it's difficult for me to get that out of my mind when I play it.

Mudboggin was fun the one time I played it. Have to get rid of the CCR song though. It's too loud and copyright issues.

Resistance is very pretty, I don't like the objective placement. Map's actually not bad overall. I think the first thing the mapper needs to do is try to put one of the bomb sites below the bridge. If that doesn't work, then move it away from the bridge. Two bomb sites in a easily defended area won't work.

Haven't played Cabin Fever in a while, but I liked that one a lot when I did.

Other than that, I don't know if I've played the others.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    Hmm looks like I did not play worksite, or did i? i'll be sure to check it out.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • ANZACMonashANZACMonash Posts: 26Player
    I am sure there has been a lot of time invested in the creation of these maps, well done to all and those that didn't make it (including me), maybe just refine your idea and especially spend some more time on making the map!
    I'm hungry for some outdoors maps. Looks like we got a treat in this contest, thanks to all who participated!
  • Well done everyone, some really good maps the maps I like is

1 Jungle Hunt
    2 Mud Boggin
  • =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the compliment Aligator, all the map makers have put a lot of time in on constructing their maps, it is nice to hear the compliments and the criticism. It is even better to see the interest this contest has placed on UGC, let's keep it rolling and jump on those servers guys!
    "9 people make up over 50% of all of the posts on this forums.
    The VAST majority of our players just play."
  • Well done to all the finalists. People need to just put up your opinions on the top 3 of your choice and leave all the bickering out of the thread IMO.

My choices IN THIS ORDER :

1. Mudboggin
    2. Worksite
    3. JungleHunt
  • I enjoy playing all the maps ... choosing x 3 is going to be difficult ... ..
    Well done to all the mapmakers ...your work is much appreciated by all .
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,468Beta Tester
    Sigh.

Well, anyway....I like "Creeping" for something different outdoors. That swamp is really neat. Map could use some polish, but everyone has been having fun.

I think Mason's "Worksite" plays really well and doesn't seem to be very sensitive to how many people are playing, which I think is quite important. My only possible complaint might be the amount of man-made objects skewing it as outdoors or not. (This is the ONLY area I think my map is good - the outdoor theme. Mine plays poorly, especially with less than 8v8. Incidentally, my map(s) existed LONG before the theme of the contest was announced. It is still primarily a concept testbed.)

Third spot in my picks is tied between Mud Boggin and Jungle Hunt, the latter of which has some pretty neat little innovations. Again....people have been enjoying the different Not-Inner-Hospital gameplay.

Resistance is gorgeous but too narrow in the objectives and timings are imbalanced. Also, I keep wondering about whether it was actually withdrawn by Snom or not...
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Enough fighting, keep it about the maps.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• =Daniel==Daniel= Posts: 57Player
    Good job on making the final 10 guys, and cool to see so many ppl entering maps for the competition.

It would be cool to see a competition in the future with no external assets of any kind but only what the fully loaded advanced editor provides. To me thats a competition on equal terms.
  • .6ix.AliGator.6ix.AliGator Posts: 165Player
    FunPolice wrote: »
    Enough fighting, keep it about the maps.

Wow well that's one way of cleaning up a threat. I thought I had it under control, guess not!
    ss_4_AliGator...png

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,031Player
    Good job on making the final 10 guys, and cool to see so many ppl entering maps for the competition.

It would be cool to see a competition in the future with no external assets of any kind but only what the fully loaded advanced editor provides. To me thats a competition on equal terms.

I can agree with that for models and such. However, sometimes you need external textures and sounds in order to make the map work for the theme you're going for.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • =Daniel==Daniel= Posts: 57Player
    @Whiplash27 Roger that.

Here is my final 3
    1: Worskite: For Superior Gameplay, brilliant layout, easy to learn and straigh forward
    2: Worskite: For Most Fun Map, few or many players, doesn´t matter it´s Always fun
    3: worksite: For Highest Replay Value, you don´t want to change map ...ever!