Workshop downloads are out of control!!!

Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
This has got to stop! Why do I, as the owner of the computer, not have control over what Steam downloads?
I have one computer that is useless at present. Every time I attempt to launch AAPG it won't because Steam has to download Workshop Content first. In the beginning it was less than 500 megs, then 800 megs and tonight it’s up to 1.4 gigs. That’s ONE POINT FOUR GIGOBYTES, PEOPLE!!!!!! I haven’t subscribed to anything!!! In fact, I unsubscribed from everything and yet its's still growing. Wha da heck’s up wit dat ??????????????
I’ve posted about the problem, asked friends for help, I’ve searched the Steam discussions but I have yet to find an answer that works. YES, I know there must be some metadata someplace that I have to delete but where? Tell me what file folder, file names, whatever it is and I’ll do it.
About ten months ago I had a problem where I could not run AAPG. I deleted then did a fresh install of the game as well as Punk Buster but it still would not run. Turned out to be files in the My Documents folder that were not removed during the uninstall process. So, I’m not going down that road again (delete reinstall) only to find that Steam still wants to download who knows how much data by then.
Since the full release the file structure of the game seems to have become so convoluted that it’s impossible for simple, old school types like me to follow what goes where.
It’s been mentioned in several threads how worrisome this auto downloading issue is becoming.
PLEASE, I’m begging those in charge to STOP THE INSANITY. We should be able to decide what and when we download new, update or upgrade content.
More importantly, we must have a simple, easy, yes fool proof way to permanently remove unwanted content.
015c0ab623b454cffe80c9c007fbb62f21aeac80.jpg

Comments

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited January 2016
    Steam is supposed to give you full control over when things download:
    ovPTY1J.png

This sounds like a Steam issue more than an AA issue :/ May have more luck asking around there
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    What do you find in your ..\steamapps\workshop folder in your Steam install? My game's UGC metadata for each map is in ..\steamapps\workshop\content\203290\[0123456789] .

You may (should?) have a "appworkshop_203290.acf" file in your workshop folder. I'd be curious to know what its contents are. That file would contain your Steam install's info on UGC files that need updating and what you have installed.
  • =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 172Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\203290

Unsubscribe from content on Steam and then delete everything within the 203290 folder.
    I spoke with Keebler about your situation as well. Do you have another "backup" copy of Steam hidden somewhere on another drive?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    If these solutions don't work, message me with your email address and I'll have a programmer check it out.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    Saccho; Yes, I believe it IS a Steam issue. However, it’s affecting AAPG and therefore something the Dev’s need to know about. My point is that Steam is NOT giving the user FULL control over downloads. Why is the amount of data to be downloaded increasing each time I attempt to start AAPG when I’ve not asked for anything new?
    Keebler750 mentioned this same issue in another thread so I’m not alone here.

Mason; I did go through everything you suggested to Keebler but still no joy. It’s a laptop with a single partition hard drive. To my feeble mind I found no duplicates of anything.

I’ll go through everything again tonight after work just in case I did miss something. If I find, as I’m sure I will, nothing then, I’ll message FunPolice.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    The increase in size could easily be due to new maps being added to a collection.

I'm wondering if you've unsubscribed from EVERYTHING.

Also....to find out what's dowloading, just look in the Steam\SteamApps\Workshop\Content\203390 folder and sort by date.....frankly, if you've unsubscribed then NOTHING should be in there!!!

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 346Beta Tester
    Saccho wrote: »
    What do you find in your ..\steamapps\workshop folder in your Steam install? My game's UGC metadata for each map is in ..\steamapps\workshop\content\203290\[0123456789] .

I had already deleted everything from the contents folder. BUT, I noticed another folder called Dowloads. In it was a 203290 folder plus 13 1kb files. I opened that 203290 folder and there were 13 new maps. So I delted everything and try it again and it started the download again.... You see a pattern here?
    Saccho wrote: »
    You may (should?) have a "appworkshop_203290.acf" file in your workshop folder. I'd be curious to know what its contents are. That file would contain your Steam install's info on UGC files that need updating and what you have installed.

That was it! I deleted that .acf file then went back into Steam and started the game. Vola! I'm back in business.
    Now this should be made a sticky somewhere or, added to an FAQ of what to do when things get FUBAR'd!

Thanks Saccho and everyone else too. Now I can return to being Honour Fodder as I was intended to be ;)

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,607Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    I've tried editing this file to solve some issues. I've also deleted it, which might be the cause of my redownloads on BeerMe. Hmm. There is a lot of experimenting and testing going on in Public on this. You are not alone.

Thanks for the additional info.

Now, go see if Steam says you're subscribed to anything.

My guess is you will now be unable to download any of those maps again, including mine. (depending on when you downloaded it...) Just because you've stopped the DL's doesn't mean you've entirely won the war!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.