Map packs

(Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
In an effort to ease the situation of large download times , Beer_Me will be creating additional Beer_Me collection pages on Steam.
At this time I have created a Retro maps only collection , which is AA2 and AA3 maps as well as recreations of those maps.
Beer_Me Server 3 will run Retro maps only for those who only want to play Old school maps.
I am looking into the best way to handle the rest of the Custom maps to reduce Download times.
At this time Server 1 and Server 2 will remain the same until I find a way to accomadate everyones maps without excluding others.
Keep in mind that our goal is to further promote this game and at the same time grow the UMM Community , many people come to us to run their maps and help them get feedback from the community in effort to advance the level of map making and promote the best entertaining venue possible so I will not be inclined to reduce the total number of maps altogether because it is counter productive to our goal.'
I like to think that everyones map can have a fair chance to be played and therefore we will promote higher participation.
So when you look for Old school maps there is now a Beer_Me Collection page at steam called Beer_Me Retro Maps.
This can also be found at the bottom of the original Beer_Me Collections page.

Comments

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Sounds like a good step to take. Building interest in UGC is a tough problem and I'm glad a dedicated group like yours is working on solutions.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,186Player
    Yep, map packs sound like as good a way to do it as any, fortunately for me I don't have to worry about file sizes or internet speed but I know there are probably many people who do have them types of issue and how that can affect someones choice to play on a server. It's a real shame but it's one of those things I guess. There's not a lot else other than removal of maps or alternating maps over and over, but that's got to be a pain to administrate and keep on top of.

I don't know how cumbersome or stressful it must be running a popular server, let alone running one that chooses to solely run with UMMs and then trying to accommodate as many of them as possible without putting at least someones nose out of joint. It's a lot of work, effort and time I can only assume and thats juts on the logistics of it, then you have to keep it policed and fun.. boy it makes me feel glad to be a simple player who just simply logs on and plays the game sometimes :lol:

You sure provide a good service do you Beerme guys! (and of course other custom map server hosters/clans) not only for players but the authors of the UMMs you host too, I have to say, its much appreciated.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    I'm just getting up to speed with some of this stuff as I have better internet now, and WAY more time. Things are looking up on the UMM front! Nice work, Roach and thanks for all you folks at BeerMe do for the game!
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • StackEmUp!StackEmUp! Posts: 145Player
    "Beer_Me Server 3 will run Retro maps only"

Awesome!
    edited January 2016
    I had the UGC uploads from BeerMe working fine. I could play any map, and any new ones would tell me to download before join. Then, last night I went to join and had to download ALL maps on the server again, and even managed a "mismatch" error on one map. What changed to cause this?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    I had the UGC uploads from BeerMe working fine. I could play any map, and any new ones would tell me to download before join. Then, last night I went to join and had to download ALL maps on the server again, and even managed a "mismatch" error on one map. What changed to cause this?

Nothing has changed on our servers , I suspect the system is still bugged because I cannot get maps to update automatically either.
    Ya...I meant for general troubleshooting, not that YOU did something. Apologies!

Several of us believe something changed at Steam!

:(
    ______