UGC [User Made Maps] Auto Updating

=U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
Show of hands, who here realizes that UGC now automatically updates on both Server and Client side?
"9 people make up over 50% of all of the posts on this forums.
The VAST majority of our players just play."

Comments

• =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    * A side question: If you are a server owner do you know how to properly add UGC to your server?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,562Beta Tester
    Questions leading would not you a lawyer make. Better would an expository tutorial be!

What does UGC stand for?

Is this where Steam works to keep all clients and servers running subscribed maps updated across the entire system dynamically and without intervention......kinda like......automatically as you said.....?
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
    Just stirring the pot Keebler. Hopefully in a positive way. I tend to get tired of going on these forums only to find 100 threads of "how this game sucks" and "if they only made it my way".

UGC (User Generated Content] is what we previously referred to as UMM's , we still refer to the as UMM's They become UGC once they are published to Steam and Steam handles them as UGC.

I am working on a Guide for this very thing.....if there is in fact enough interest in it. Meaning, as my initial post asks....if everyone already knows about it and fully understands it then I shall not proceed,
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Keebler750 wrote: »
    Questions leading would not you a lawyer make. Better would an expository tutorial be!

You're really all-in on this Yoda thing, huh? :)
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Just stirring the pot Keebler. Hopefully in a positive way. I tend to get tired of going on these forums only to find 100 threads of "how this game sucks" and "if they only made it my way".

UGC (User Generated Content] is what we previously referred to as UMM's , we still refer to the as UMM's They become UGC once they are published to Steam and Steam handles them as UGC.

I am working on a Guide for this very thing.....if there is in fact enough interest in it. Meaning, as my initial post asks....if everyone already knows about it and fully understands it then I shall not proceed,
    My advice -- if you have the time and will for it, make it. It becomes a reference point for future searches and gives you control over progression of the discussion. It's also a very useful link to offer if your guide is thorough enough. Just the existence of it gives your statements more authority.

The forums aren't going to give you a good idea for what people know because the people that need or want the guide will only search for answers when they need them.
    I know you've been doing a lot of work, Mason. Too often, all of this info is either spread far and wide, or left stuck in someone's head and inaccessible to others.

I was joking too, of course. It's great to get this info out!

:+1:
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    Yeah please make a tutorial. Uploading and monitoring UGC updates was the only reason I did not add them to my server :'(
    Hope this would work with hosted servers without steam cmd, too ?
    edited January 2016
    "GoA wrote:
    z!o[N]cya[;31031"]Yeah please make a tutorial. Uploading and monitoring UGC updates was the only reason I did not add them to my server :'(
    Hope this would work with hosted servers without steam cmd, too ?

It will work for game server providers, all you need to do is add the .metadata file for the UMM you want on your server. Place it in the CookedPC\UserMadeMaps folder, the server will locate and download the .umap file and place it in the proper location. By default the server performs this operation every 10 minutes as long as the server is idle or in warmup mode. Once the server has aquired the .umap file you may then admin swap it to that map. If you would like for the server to rotate to the map during play then you should place the map into rotation list.
    This is an incredibly powerful feature. Definitely headed toward a better user content experience for sure! I'm starting to practice running UMMs on my server now as well, and even re-published my still-in-Alpha outdoor map to celebrate the occasion. : )
    ______

• RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    And when a map is updated in the workshop?
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 321Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    My hand is up for client side as I found out the hard way about auto downloading of UGC.

I believe you are aware of my problem. I have one computer that is now useless because every time I start AAPG it tries to download 800 gig’s of UGC. I need to control throughput and so I can’t just allow HUGE downloads like this to occur randomly.

Steam might think this is a great feature but for people like myself, who have a wonky internet connection and a finite amount of throughput, it sucks!
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg
    And when a map is updated in the workshop?

The server will update........

• (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 628Player
    it works ,there are still a few bugs , some maps don't seem to like " updating" on server side so its not 100% ,but it is better than before, for server admins
  • {IRISH}Empty_Hands{IRISH}Empty_Hands Posts: 4Player
    I'm trying to figure out how to put some old user made maps back on the server, but I think they need to be updated to be compatible. They are from other people, so how would I go about remaking/updating them to make them compatible with the current AA proving grounds? Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • }{Gorilla}{}{Gorilla}{ Posts: 673Administrator
    Well to start make sure your setting them up on your server proper. Not that I think your not doing so since I have always played at IRISH if the op shows up and the last time I was there, you guys did have a couple maps but just to be safe try this or just make sure the steps where done proper.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=656041282&searchtext=User+Made+Maps