Usermade maps download system

(Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
I have looked at the Usermade map situation carefully and it seems that we need a way for people to be able to subscribe to the maps they want to play and not choose others , Many of the maps are very popular but it seems that they get a bad rep regarding new people who are not familiar with the process and are not patient enough to take the time to download them all .
I have even heard a few people tell me that they were under the impression that they will have lag if they play usermade maps (This could not be further from the truth). I find that many people are mis- informed regarding usermade maps and we need to fix that.
We need to find a way to make this easier to access to the masses. If you use the collections page at steam for any given server, you will find that getting the maps is not as involved as some might think.

Note: when you use a steam link to get to a collection page it will require you to login to steam (Even if you are already logged in)
This is another problem that steam should address.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538940718

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,605Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    There are a lot of refinements needed to make this seamless, IMO. Right now, I have huge downloads every day before I start playing AND sometimes the server still requires further subscriptions to play. I'm not download-limited anymore, but I feel the pain of anyone who worries about this.

Also, I'm trying to track an issue a friend has in which unsubscribing doesn't unsubscribe you, continuing your downloads after the fact. I'll have to report back on this one.

There is a lot of updating going on right now because of the contest, but the sheer size of a collection like BeerMe's for example, makes getting into the game somewhat cumbersome for someone new.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    ITEMS (91)

I think this is a barrier to entry for you guys in particular. That's A LOT to download -- my UMM folder grew by about 8 GB getting this collection. It also represents a huge amount of content for someone new to UMMs to pick up on.

Why not establish a 5-10 map rotation and change up which maps you're running on a weekly basis or something like that? Each map would actually get a reasonable amount of playtime, weaker maps would get feedback and be able to apply for inclusion again after changes are made in a later week, players wouldn't have to download GBs upon GBs to play...

The majority of players like familiarity and knowing how a map works. Throwing a ton of new content at them is rough because they get destroyed by players that already know the map. Introducing fewer maps at once limits how long that learning process takes. With too many maps in rotation, every match is always a new experience and that can get old fast.

I agree that it would be nice to have an "on-demand" map download system. In the meantime, some changes to how UMM content is presented to new players may help too.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    I agree , I'm just not sure how to improve it. It might help if they could download only the ones they want, or maybe even create a DLC similar to the Editor . I'm not sure I guess I'm just looking to raise attention to the situation.
    And please no one say run less maps , that doesn't help the situation .
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    edited January 2016
    Saccho wrote: »
    [...]
    Why not establish a 5-10 map rotation and change up which maps you're running on a weekly basis or something like that?

I've been saying this for the longest time, although in my opinion 2-4 maps would work best. To address the initial point, I hardly ever play in UMM servers because I do not wish to download countless unknown maps, and I know many share my sentiment.

Devs - Please allow individual map downloads to play in a server, and fix the blocking volumes bug Wolvie has been discussing.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    Saccho wrote: »
    [...]
    Why not establish a 5-10 map rotation and change up which maps you're running on a weekly basis or something like that?

I've been saying this for the longest time, although in my opinion 2-4 maps would work best. To address the initial point, I hardly ever play in UMM servers because I do not wish to download countless unknown maps, and I know many share my sentiment.

Devs - Please allow individual map downloads to play in a server, and fix the blocking volumes bug Wolvie has been discussing.

I agree on 2-4 // less is more. I thought 5-10 would be an easier sell for an admin team used to running 91 at once.
    And please no one say run less maps , that doesn't help the situation .

I really feel like good planning from the server side would alleviate this problem until a better system is designed. Servers can drive this change by efficient map management.

The server can have ALL the maps available and updated to switch to, but generate the current "playlist" in whatever time frame ....per day, per hour, per week....for rotation. This map list for the current play would be what generated what a new player has to download. If he keeps coming back at different times, he will eventually have all the maps.

However, the total update volume behind the scenes would still be clunky with this scenario.

We need smaller map file sizes!

:p

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    Beer me was one of my FAV's i don't even go there because of all the maps to download.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

edited January 2016
    Well if you manage a UMM Server you will see that we have enough to do now with keeping maps updated and such , I really do not need the added task of creating a rotating rotation . The maintenance for this is quite enough to keep me busy. I mean your actually talking about like a 30 minute download if you download all of them. And that's with a poor d/load speed , I don't think the server having too many maps is the problem, I mean think about it, we had the ability to download what you wanted before , so why not put it back?
  • iNv|roKis-iNv|roKis- Posts: 420Player
    I'd like to chime in and definitely ask that we have more control of what we want downloaded. It is really annoying that we need to download 50 maps in order to play in a server. Just doesn't work for me.
    Bhop is a string of jumps with no interruptions.
    edited January 2016
    Bam4D wrote: »
    Beer me was one of my FAV's i don't even go there because of all the maps to download.

So you would rather play Inner Hospital until your eyeballs bleed is that right? Bam you haven't been on our server in over a year , so rathe than suffer a 30 minute d/load you'll play Inner hospital over and over. I can't say I understand that buddy?
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    For me it's not about the download time. It's the fact that I HAVE to download unknown maps into my machine. When I look at my subscribed missions screen, I only want to see what I intentionally subscribed to.
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
    edited January 2016
    For me it's not about the download time. It's the fact that I HAVE to download unknown maps into my machine. When I look at my subscribed missions screen, I only want to see what I intentionally subscribed to.

And that's why we need to put it back the way it was! Or at the very least allow people to join the server without downloading all of them so they can use the collections page to just get what they want.
    Its a work in progress I suppose
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,121Beta Tester
    I might have an idea to fix this, I'm gonna pitch it to the Devs in beta forms to see if it's possible to do.
    Thanks Wolvy , Ideally it would be great to please everyone as best we can but reducing the maps that a server runs is just not a good answer , at least not for our purposes. Which is to provide the best assortment of maps we can. We understand that not everyone likes all the maps we have but how do we decide which to run , and a rotating , rotation is just way too much maintenance.
    Well if you manage a UMM Server you will see that we have enough to do now with keeping maps updated and such , I really do not need the added task of creating a rotating rotation . The maintenance for this is quite enough to keep me busy. I mean your actually talking about like a 30 minute download if you download all of them. And that's with a poor d/load speed , I don't think the server having too many maps is the problem, I mean think about it, we had the ability to download what you wanted before , so why not put it back?

I hear you on the effort to manage. Honest, I'm not being critical, I'm just looking for options.

However, I think you're wrong on the download times and what constitutes good versus poor internet. My buddy would take an entire day on that Map Collection in workshop!

______

• Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    Bam4D wrote: »

So you would rather play Inner Hospital until your eyeballs bleed is that right? Bam you haven't been on our server in over a year , so rathe than suffer a 30 minute d/load you'll play Inner hospital over and over. I can't say I understand that buddy?

I know, but I really like the story servers that lay out the original maps like the comics and you follow all the missions in order. I really miss the BEER crowd... just too many maps.. not all great. Like you install and just leave the bad ones without routine clean up of of those less desired maps.

Man I miss me some beer.. :'(

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

Maps are reviewed every 2 weeks and maps that people don't really care for do get removed, the problem for me is that there really are a lot of fun maps out there and I just think its better to have too many than not enough!
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    It's bugged, i can't even download new maps unless i do it through steam. It says something about name mismatch.

Another thing is the workshop part of the launcher is absolutely terrible. It's not user friendly and it's very slow to the point where you scroll down and nothing happens.
    edited January 2016
    If you download your maps from the Beer_Me collection page every map is up to date guaranteed.
    Unless of course the update system fails to update which has happened on occasion.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538940718
  • Duke_AudiDuke_Audi Posts: 328Beta Tester
    edited January 2016
    I just discovered something relating to downloading in general and UMM’s in specific.

I recently got caught out by trying to join a [BeerMe] server and accepting the download UMM request. I realized I was in trouble because every time I start AAPG on my laptop it wants to download a car load more stuff. I have unsubscribed from all the UMM’s in my workshop. I turned off, unchecked and as far as I can tell stopped everything I could find with regards to auto downloading. But, it still won’t let me play because it still thinks it requires to download over 700 Megs of stuff.

Somewhere on my laptop there is something that keeps asking for all those UMM’s I unsubscribed from. I can log into steam and start AAPG on any other computer and there’s no waiting for downloads. Someone else can use my laptop and as soon as they click play it triggers that download request. So, it’s not account related, its computer specific.

I did a Steam restore of a backup I had saved before the huge [BeerMe] Umm download thinking that would act like a windows restore point. But it didn’t fix the problem.

How do I get this to stop the download?
    556127a3323e2cfd0355aaa34b6e0b63-full.jpg