Boyd's OODA Loop

SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
I came across this article looking at politics through the lens of modern military philosophy, but the philosophy itself may be of interest to any here not already familiar.

In short, your own rapid decision-making and actions can cause the opponents' information and perception of the situation to be out-of-date. By analyzing and acting more quickly, your actions shape the situation and your own perception is more accurate as a result. In the most extreme case, the opponents can only react instead of forming their own strategy.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/16/military-strategist-explains-why-donald-trump-leads-and-how-he-will-fail/

Comments

• Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,606Beta Tester
    Isn't that why "Move To Contact" is successful? It puts the opposition in a reactive mode, which can NEVER be as good as a plan.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Always be "unpredictable". Let the enemy believe you will do A while you do.... E.
    googley avatar aapg

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I think the effectiveness of disruption is in there for sure.

I read OODA as a general framework for planning and MTC as a particular plan to execute. I think it's easy to read elements of many decision frameworks into many situations or strategies (which is part of their value, of course).
    Ya. I'm trying to digest that article.

I could use to take my thinking on this to the next level...
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • -=DA=-Movax-=DA=-Movax Posts: 42Player
    You see this tactic all the time in AAPG. This is my favourite part of the game: Either acting quicker than and disorienting my opponent, or trying to appreciate and learn when it happens to me.
    From what I can see, it's not just speed and disorientation, but actively messing with your opponents reality to the point he doesn't know whether to believe his own senses anymore. That's truly devious, and I don't think I'm capable of that level...

______

• 12ampage12ampage Posts: 64Player
    This is why modern military has evolved from a traditional 'all action requires approval of your commander' communication structure to more decentralized command. If you have to send everything up the chain of command then you are always one step behind the enemy. Conversely, if each unit has some autonomy to react to situations in a regard to the overall objective than you keep the enemy on their toes.

What I like about OODA is that it is not just a military or political tactic, it has endless applications. I personally, use and discuss it with my colleagues as we try to develop software that stays a step ahead of the competition.

The one thing that can bring OODA to its knees is if you lose sight or do not have a strong mission. If trump focuses to much on Dodging, Diving, Diving, Ducking, and Dodging than he may lose focus on his true mission (whatever that is) and ultimately fail.
    Good post!

Another military example of this is the use of PsyOps, or in media/government: propaganda.

It's an advantage even just getting you to wonder about truth.
    ______