"New Player Experience" changes on full release?

Comments

• AvgusteAvguste Posts: 125Player
    @TheBaDaBing! completely agreed and new players need to understand that run and gun doesn't work. Teamwork works

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    I remember when I first started playing it took me ages to get used to because i didn't know the maps I couldn't just run around and kill people because everyone else just sits there watching corners and you die as they are already ADS. Then you're forced to watch some of the most boring game play on earth untill the next round but you cant minimise. I only played for about 15 mins the first time then rage quit because my first opinion was it was boring.
    -
    I then only played again the next day because my friend was already playing the game. If it wasn't for him I would of uninstalled probably.
    -
    A new player has to learn that they can't just run around because you get destroyed at first. This makes people rage quit because they want to have fun.
    -
    Tldr; it's not as run and gun as you think just experienced players destroying terrible players. If you try to run around when you first start playing you will get destroyed and rage uninstalled.

Same actually happened to me when I started the game even though I played 3 years of AA3 before. However my rushing playstyle of AA3 didn't really work out on Inner Hospital. Wanted to ragequit after 2 rounds, then forced myself into playing until I get a Hawkeye. I remember being kinda frustrated about how the game was compared to AA3 and that feeling lasted for some weeks until I could actually enjoy playing the game.
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    So a few pages ago I was asked to elaborate.

Well here it is....among these walls and walls of text someone said something. Then I posted disagreeing with them. What it was about, I have no clue. Do I care to read through 7 pages of stuff to figure it out? Not at all.

Might have had something to do with this. (going off memory forgive me) Someone posted a graph saying people can't get past first 10 mins. Someone said 'It's because you have to make an account' So I laughed and said you have to make an account to play and be apart of the graph stats.

Yea that was it I think.

• `no_longer_active'`no_longer_active' Posts: 30Player
    edited May 2015
    @Breen: Okay. Can you provide me with the stats page source? It's not self-evident from just the graph that you have to make an account to be on the stats page -- as opposed to just opening up the launcher. Just throwing a hypothesis out there because I know, from anecdotal evidence, that many people had trouble logging in and playing (could also be authentication or PB related).

The point being was that it seemed awkward that 1/4 of new players would not pass the first 10 minutes, and thus, I assumed something other than "gameplay" was the main culprit. I inferred that 1. FPS and 2. account issues to be the factors that explained the distribution.

BTW, what do you think are some factors that influence the popularity of a FPS franchise? Also, what do you think influences the AAPG graph?
  • Gronfather@TwitchGronfather@Twitch Posts: 466Player
    1. Gameplay
    2. Maps
    3. Achievements (ie unlocks, levels)
    4. User friendliness (walkthroughs, tutorials & training)

Just some stuff I thought off the top of my head.

Btw this is what I look for, and is my opinion only.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    @Breen: Okay. Can you provide me with the stats page source? It's not self-evident from just the graph that you have to make an account to be on the stats page -- as opposed to just opening up the launcher. Just throwing a hypothesis out there because I know, from anecdotal evidence, that many people had trouble logging in and playing (could also be authentication or PB related).

The point being was that it seemed awkward that 1/4 of new players would not pass the first 10 minutes, and thus, I assumed something other than "gameplay" was the main culprit. I inferred that 1. FPS and 2. account issues to be the factors that explained the distribution.

BTW, what do you think are some factors that influence the popularity of a FPS franchise? Also, what do you think influences the AAPG graph?
    Source is steamspy.com (http://steamspy.com/app/203290) . It's sourced from random sampling of Steam user pages. Since the launcher counts towards Steam playtime, yes, that should be recorded and included in the sampling.
  • `no_longer_active'`no_longer_active' Posts: 30Player
    edited May 2015
    "Since the launcher counts towards Steam playtime, yes, that should be recorded and included in the sampling."

Okay. If I have a launcher open, but do not make an account, wouldn't this count me in the 1st bar?
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I would assume so, but can't say with any authority.
    Another good place to look for stats is http://steamcharts.com/app/203290

• ProceduralPolyMathProceduralPolyMath Posts: 96Player
    edited May 2015
    More ADS sway, less hip cone. It's silly you can strafe like crazy Pong platform and the 8x-10x scope is still stable...
    Access to weapons through training was fine. I would like frags and sniper being restricted in that sense.
    Sniper at honor 5 seems fair enough. In AA2 you had to had 15 honor to use SF Weapons.

Cheers
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    edited May 2015
    Access to weapons through training was fine. I would like frags and sniper being restricted in that sense.
    Sniper at honor 5 seems fair enough. In AA2 you had to had 15 honor to use SF Weapons.

Cheers
    indeed, if your goal is to get players to play more than 10 minutes or one hour, gating access to all the roles is a fine way of incentivizing new players to dig in and unlock those roles...
    -
    and make it clear how to unlock it. an easy example of an unlock being completely unknown to the general public is: the hooah button. it unlocks at level 5, but over 99% of the players are not aware of this...
    -
    giving every new player access to the m24 (or any zoom optic) at level 1 is not a good way to encourage players to get good with the basic rifleman role. personally i think it would be better to leave new players with the basic rifleman role and encourage them to get to know the game a bit, and the maps, before jumping all the way into the role of sitting in assault spawn with a scope...
    -
    giving them access to the shotgun is also going to confuse a new player. they may assume since they have access to it that maybe that is the dev's way of saying it should be used maybe 30% of the time, else why is it there?

edited May 2015
    giving them access to the shotgun is also going to confuse a new player. they may assume since they have access to it that maybe that is the dev's way of saying it should be used maybe 30% of the time, else why is it there?

I don't know how you are playing your games but when I play a game I just play what I like and what I have success with, why would I let game design effect my playstyle?
  • .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »
    I don't know how you are playing your games but when I play a game I just play what I like and what I have success with, why would I let game design effect my playstyle?
    what are you saying? and what does that have anything to do with what you quoted?

Woops, forgot to delete the first part of the quote, fixed now.
    edited May 2015
    Personally I would not restrict the weapons as in unlocks. Instead I would maybe start each weapon with a lower stat line and then as players gain honor they would have to assign points to the weapons. Basically an RPG type. But again this is way off topic because unless we have complete control of the development any design ideas and such are useless for this topic.

The topic being "New Player Experience", lets focus on what can be done using what we currently have as features. The honor servers is a good idea for example. And without having the devs involved, nothing prevents units to have 2 servers: 1 for below honor 10, another for above honor 10.
    This said, if players cant face higher level, how can players improve?

Personally I would not restrict the weapons as in unlocks. Instead I would maybe start each weapon with a lower stat line and then as players gain honor they would have to assign points to the weapons. Basically an RPG type.

Horrible idea that gladly won't ever happen.
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    To me it's one of those things you realise was actually better after you've gone through it.

If you just get handed everything, you don't get the satisfaction of having earned the right to use a weapon. As little meaning it may have to seasoned gamers, it 's great for newcomers. It also gives you a sense that hard work pays off which ties into army values.

I'll say it again, mandatory training, earning marksmanship badges. After that you start with a couple of honor as someone would coming out of basic training.

It's actually one of best things when looking back at previous versions and partially what made me want to keep playing. It was fresh, original and gave you something to do and strive to besides just getting in a match and playing against others.
    They want new players while new players don't want trainings. I don't see this happening even if it could be good.

Opinion based on playing public and seeing too many people (even honor 10+) not knowing about nade cooking because they didn't bother about trainings.
    One way the issue of trainings could be solved is by having a server side option allow for players admins to restrict their server based on whether the player has completed the training or not.
    Another way is to automatically take a newly created account to training and only when training has been completed, then activate the online gaming options (browser) to be specific

• SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    cK^KILL@ wrote: »
    They want new players while new players don't want trainings. I don't see this happening even if it could be good.

Opinion based on playing public and seeing too many people (even honor 10+) not knowing about nade cooking because they didn't bother about trainings.
    SOPMOD wrote: »
    To me it's one of those things you realise was actually better after you've gone through it.
    New players don't know they like being forced to do a training untill they look back at it.

How do you know a new player doesn't want to do training? Who uninstalls a game when they find out they need to do training first? If these people exist i would be glad if they're not playing AA.