Possible fix if you get Stuttering with Win10 or DX10 install issues with win10

[OGG]TriggerdSilence[OGG]TriggerdSilence Posts: 19Player
edited December 2015 in Game Support
My system:
FX 8320 processor
8gb 2133mhz ram
GTX 560 ti graphics card which is plenty for this game.
Win10 PRO 64bit installed on an SSD with a 2ndary HDD for storage.

I recently upgraded to win10 PRO 64bit, and installed aapg. In general win10 has a much smaller OS footprint and seems to be quite snappy including when running Graphics Card benchmarks and playing around with over clocking my card. So far I am enjoying it.

I noticed however i was getting micro lag and stuttering for 1/2 a sec to a full second once every 30 seconds to 1 minute making the game play unbearable. I set my card back to stock checked memory etc. and was confused why my game was lagging but not anything else. All my benchmark programs ran fine with no glitches.

SOLUTION:
Apparently installing my OS AND aapg on my ssd was the issue. For me once I deleted local content and cleaned any left over folder from aapg off my SSD - C:/ drive, and reinstalled the game to a steam library on my backup standard HDD all lag and stuttering stopped.

I'm not the most technical but I believe it has to do with how windows 10 tries to optimize itself for an ssd, so the simple solution instead of trying to tweak my ssd etc I just loaded the game to a steam library on my regular hard drive, problem solved.

The only other problem I've had off a fresh install was trying to install direct X properly, my mistake was installing my games to my HDD and then trying to run them. Apparently to solve that issue I had to download the DirectX software to my SSD - OS drive and then run as admin. Apparently it did not like installing from my secondary drive.

Hope this is helpful to anyone else with a similar ssd - os and hdd secondary setup with win 10.

Comments

• ^]-[ammer_T!me!^]-[ammer_T!me! Posts: 91Player
    edited December 2015
    I wrote about this 3 months ago, seems nobody picked it up.

i5 4690K/970GTX/16GB/XL2411/Win10

aastats.com
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Bump this hard if it works!
    googley avatar aapg

• {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 207Player
    After months of problems with AAPG, I've tried that two days ago. Win 8.1, AA and Steam were on my SSD, now I've moved Steam and AA to the HDD. Since two days I have no crashes and no freezes, but I don't want to be hasty now. With some other "solutions" I had no success after few days too. If it works, a second ssd will be mine immediately. But what difference makes this constellation? I would say this is an AA related change, because in the Beta it wasn't the case definitely.
  • ^]-[ammer_T!me!^]-[ammer_T!me! Posts: 91Player
    I had that same problem in Beta, moving Steam game directory to HDD partition (away from SSD) solved it for me. This same thing works for release version of the game. If it had stayed on the SSD, I would have had the same microstuttering issues.

i5 4690K/970GTX/16GB/XL2411/Win10

aastats.com
    edited February 2016
    I really hope I can solve it this way. But the next question is, will it work with a second ssd too, is it a general ssd issue, or the combination os + game on the sam ssd/hdd....I will try and keep my fingers crossed.
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,573Player
    edited February 2016
    I just got a new SSD and have everything on it without freezes. Win 10 here too.
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I have everything on an SSD and I'm not seeing the same issue on W10.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited February 2016
    An SSD doesn't come with warning labels or with the tweaks it needs. Simple things like putting your computer to sleep while on an ssd can kill it. Defraging an ssd is a nono don't think its possible in Windows 10 anyhow. I had a kingston hyperx 3k 240gb or w/e and it died after 2 years. It came with no software. I now have a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb and it came with software to automatically configure your windows settings then I do things on the side like this:

http://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-8-and-8-1/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/gaming-and-mouse-response-bios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware

I run windows 10 on my ssd and have steam and AAPG installed on ssd. I have no stutters or freezes. It is more likely your ssd is dying rather than the game not liking your ssd. You also want to make sure your running you ssd/Harddrives in ACHI mode. ( http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078 )
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• flubbyflubby Posts: 50Player
    Just to add another twist, I had freezing issues as well like you described, and both OS and AAPG were on the same SSD. But after upgrading to win 10 (still one SSD), the problem disappeared. Maybe the issue is not the SSD?

I am certain of one thing though: the problem started happening for me when I upgraded my video card from a AMD 7770 -> AMD 390x. The problem would go away if I swapped in my old video card. I even returned the 390x for a new one and the same problem would come back. So it wasn't hardware related.

Eventually I upgraded to win10 and the problem went away. Not sure if that helps narrow it down.
    edited February 2016
    flubby wrote: »
    Just to add another twist, I had freezing issues as well like you described, and both OS and AAPG were on the same SSD. But after upgrading to win 10 (still one SSD), the problem disappeared. Maybe the issue is not the SSD?

I am certain of one thing though: the problem started happening for me when I upgraded my video card from a AMD 7770 -> AMD 390x. The problem would go away if I swapped in my old video card. I even returned the 390x for a new one and the same problem would come back. So it wasn't hardware related.

Eventually I upgraded to win10 and the problem went away. Not sure if that helps narrow it down.

You gotta be careful with newer cards (especially amd) running directx 9 games sometimes they will perform worse. Another setback from using directx9 instead of directx 11. A 680 will most likely run this game better than a gtx 980 its sickening.

Basically newer graphics card are not optimized to run on directx9 like older graphics cards are this game desperately needs directx11 version because there is already massive amounts of people on 900 series and it is only going to get worse with Pascal 1000series coming out in the summer.

I don't know why this game still uses directx 9. That came out in 2002(!!??). Funny, i had this thought back then that these issues are caused by using this really old version. A lot of bug fixes and enhancements have been made to directx since then. I'm not sure MS is even patching this version anymore.

Come on DEVS, can't you build the game against a newer version and see how it performs? I've seen articles that show newer versions of directx outperform the older ones. Not to mention that later versions have all the latest fixes and would be more robust.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I think they once said switching the game over to a newer version of DirectX was not feasible.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

I had no success. I am running now windows on the hdd, ssd removed and the game crashed. Windows, drivers, steam and AA installed only. I'm going to sell my laptop, bye Americas Army.
    edited February 2016
    I think they once said switching the game over to a newer version of DirectX was not feasible.

Don't remember this and its not switching. There would be a menu option to choose directx 11 over default dx9, like most games have. Like honestly directx 9 came out with windows XP. Microsoft has already stopped supporting windows xp.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/838731/why-does-the-gtx980-not-suport-dx9-and-pixel-shader-2/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/3yaq1i/directx9_vs_directx11_on_smite/

Unreal Engine 4 doesn't support directx 9: https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?520-Directx-9-for-UE4

How long before GPU's don't even run on directx9. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if all this talk of FPS drop's on gtx 980's I been hearing about are related to directx9 features a 980 may not support.

This is definitely something that needs to be considered moving forward with the feature of this game. If the gtx980 cards were made for directx9 they would be getting 200fps max all the time in this game with max video settings.

Another example: World of warcraft cataclysm runs much better in directx 11 than directx9 on a gtx 580. For those wondering a gtx 580 came out november 9th 2010. 6 years ago we are upto 900 series with 1000 series coming out sometime this year. The performance for directx 9 on newer cards is only going to get worse. These newer cards are coming out with the focus on Directx 12...
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-7.html

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/429461-unreal-engine-4-directx12-vs-directx11-performance-comparison/

and another one:
    More FPS on lost planet 2 when in directx11 vs directx 9

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39210/discussions/0/520518053446070552/

"Several spots in the benchmark my system drops below 60fps with Directx 9, however Directx 11 does not."

I'm scared to upgrade from my gtx 670 :disappointed:

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    Well, I'm like an elephant, I just forget the 'exacts' and lack the ability on these new fangled forums to search for something effectively. I do know they aint doing it though.. unless of course something has changed since one of them made the post that I'm kinda, sorta remembering.

Not trying to put dampers on anything, just trying to help inform people.. I'd like to see it too :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    edited February 2016
    Well, I'm like an elephant, I just forget the 'exacts' and lack the ability on these new fangled forums to search for something effectively.

Nah you're right. The integrated search is really crap. Better use google-search instead with some parameters :D

Engine version is btw 9656. Should "natively" support dx11 . Heck you can even start the game after shader compilation with dx11. The gui is working already. You can run around and play, but everything else is black xD

I hope dx11/opengl and 64bit will appear together with the announced unix version.

*edit* attachement upload broken?
    8me8jqey.jpg
    jfjbk5wj.jpg
  • Rikimaru360Rikimaru360 Posts: 5Player
    i have the same issue and cant resolve it, could it be the fact im using an msi 390 and saying about new cards dont support old dx?
    i have the same issue and cant resolve it, could it be the fact im using an msi 390 and saying about new cards dont support old dx?

i would put shaders at low use no antialaising etc... disable shadows. Not sure what else you can do to minimize issues. Also yes this is most likely the issue although I don't know how well new amd cards run on unreal engine to begin with.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2696762/amd-radeon-390x-freezing-disappearing-game.html
    Okay. So, I found a partial fix and this is my hypothesis...

Running Final Fantasy XIV with the latest version of DirectX 9.0c (native client after install) on my current system the game ran smooth and beautifully, but resulted in constant crashes (i.e. the game just disappeared) and occasional Blue Screens of Death involving dxgmm1.sys. After a long and hefty investigation of that error, I found a lot of common threads where people were advised that their power supply was too weak.

After switching to DirectX 11 for Final Fantasy XIV the crashing has stopped altogether. The game runs even more beautifully, but I believe it is better optimized for the R9 390X while in DX11 mode. (So the card consumes less power.)

So, in my very unprofessional opinion, I think that my power supply is just barely able to juice the card while the game is in DirectX 11 mode, but since it's not optimized properly for DirectX 9, it goes beyond its limits and crashes the game. Since not every game (i.e. SWTOR) has the option to change from DirectX 9 to 11, I'm going to upgrade my power supply to one of the 1000w Tier 1 power supplies and see if the issue subsides for all games.

Thank you i7Baby for all of your help!

I have the MSI 390x. The thing that made it work for me was to do a clean install of windows 10.
    Check out this thread about the queue size (or number of frames to render ahead).

If your setting is too low, it could be the cause of stuttering.

http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/4542/possible-fix-for-dropping-framerates-and-how-to-get-higher-and-stable-fps#latest