Ssd ?

IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
edited November 2015 in R&R
I'm looking to get a SSD now. I was waiting until 500GB was under $200. So now they are and with a new game DLC Assasin's Creed:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442387/850_EVO-Series_500GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Internal_SSD_Single_Unit_Version_MZ-75E500B-AM

So, how do I clone my existing C drive so I can just do a swap over without having to install all this 450GB of BS I already have? Or, what is the best way?? Any comments on that particular SSD?
googley avatar aapg

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited November 2015
    I have the 250gb version of this its awesome. I would recommend starting with a fresh windows install. Than you can install the basic stuff than stuff like your steam games could be copied over to your ssd in the proper folder. Once you got most of the stuff you want reformat your regular hard drive. Use it as a back up for storage of stuff. If you don't reformat it you will essentially be running 2 windows at once and have to select the correct one to boot to each time.

There is drive cloning and I am pretty sure samsung magician has that option but I don't recommend it at all. Its only going to cause potential issues. I had someone use it and AAPG would crash for them at the end of every match they played. So do the smart thing and start fresh and copy your games over later if you don't want to download them again.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• =IK=Wonkss=IK=Wonkss Posts: 92Player
    you can clone it but you would have to reformat the old drive or like colts said it would conflict on startup asking which drive to use. not sure it works well with os drives but works great for non os drives
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Wow nice price.. I have the 850 Evo in 250 gig and it's awesome.. nothing but good reviews when I was searching .. samsung FTW

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Looks like I am going shopping tomorrow then. I still need to try a clone on the SSD. I don't mind having to reinstall games but all my Office, Photoshop, Newsreader, emails, FTP, and other stuff is just a nightmare to do over.
    googley avatar aapg

• flubbyflubby Posts: 50Player
    I use clonezilla to make backups of my system. It's a free tool but it doesn't have the friendliest interface. I've restored a backup from/to the same disk, but haven't tried restoring to a different disk. One thing to note, it's possible windows 10 may barf on licensing if it sees itself booting up from a new disk...it's how it recognizes the machine is licensed, based on the exact hardware specs, at least it used to on win7.

ss_flubby_4.png
    edited November 2015
    flubby wrote: »
    I use clonezilla to make backups of my system. It's a free tool but it doesn't have the friendliest interface. I've restored a backup from/to the same disk, but haven't tried restoring to a different disk. One thing to note, it's possible windows 10 may barf on licensing if it sees itself booting up from a new disk...it's how it recognizes the machine is licensed, based on the exact hardware specs, at least it used to on win7.

ss_flubby_4.png

He would have to reinstall windows 7 or windows 8 on new drive and redo the upgrade to windows 10. Unless something has changed in recent months I am not sure if Microsoft has ever addressed this issue.

edited November 2015
    I have Win 7 ultimate. The plan is to install the SSD as an E:\ drive and clone C:\ to it. then pull out C: after shutdown and replace it with the SSD before startup. If it doesn't start automatically then I should be able to direct my BIOS to it.

Shouldn't this work? I just need to make sure the BOOT SECTOR is cloned properly along with the data on C.
    googley avatar aapg

IO_i_OI wrote: »
    I have Win 7 ultimate. The plan is to install the SSD as an E:\ drive and clone C:\ to it. then pull out C: after shutdown and replace it with the SSD before startup. If it doesn't start automatically then I should be able to direct my BIOS to it.

Shouldn't this work? I just need to make sure the BOOT SECTOR is cloned properly along with the data on C.

No install the Samsung software your SSD comes with it. "Samsung magician cloning" and use that to clone to the new drive.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper11.html

No install the Samsung software your SSD comes with it. "Samsung magician cloning" and use that to clone to the new drive.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper11.html

Cool. Thanks! Ill give that a try. #fingerscrossedsmiley
    googley avatar aapg

edited November 2015
    Picked up the SSD 500GB today. I probably clone and install some time this week. Looking forward to some Speed!

IMAG0258.jpg

googley avatar aapg

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    I was a bit of a wait-er myself, hanged out until prices got realistically inline with my budget, one things for sure.. It's such an instantly noticeable upgrade, You will love it.. *(novelty does wear off when it becomes the norm) But 'sometime this week'? Holy grail of PC upgrades and your gonna hold out even longer.

You got patience, I'll give you that :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited November 2015
    I did some reading on cloning and it looks like I just need to plug in a SATA to USB cable to the new SSD then run Samsung's Migration clone software on the included CD. Then shutdown computer when the cloning is done and pull the C: drive and replace with the SSD. Sounds simple enough??

I also used a stopwatch on startup and shutdown to post some realtime comparisons later.
    googley avatar aapg

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    It's not even close. I had 2 10k Raptors and my ssd blow them away.
    I don't know if this is a windows 10 only feature but if you go task manager then click start up. In the top right it says Last BIOS Time: 10.6 seconds I have seen this number as low as 7 when i first installed windows 10. Not sure how it caculates I assume its power button -> desktop. (might include how long programs take to startup as well.)

• K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    I did some reading on cloning and it looks like I just need to plug in a SATA to USB cable to the new SSD then run Samsung's Migration clone software on the included CD. Then shutdown computer when the cloning is done and pull the C: drive and replace with the SSD. Sounds simple enough??

I also used a stopwatch on startup and shutdown to post some realtime comparisons later.

I wouldn't advise cloning from hdd to ssd if you are intending to use it as system and boot drive.

Windows optimizes the OS for ssd during installation. You will have lots of garbage registration strings which could cause lots of problems. Better way to go is to do a clean install.
    edited November 2015
    I'm on SSD! Super fast! The cloning from HD to SSD took about 1hr and 30 minutes with 404mb to clone. Everything is click - open instantly. The only problem I had was to reinstall license for MS Office all my other settings, passwords, mail, games, etc. are just like they were on the old OS HD. I'm very happy with this upgrade. Photoshop would take the longest to load now its loads in 10 seconds.

Here are some time comparisons

Power on to login screen (with 10 sec delay for BIOS screen) HD = 1m:02s. SSD=0.44s
    login screen to full load HD =2m:.22s. SSD=0.45s.
    Shutdown HD=0.27.3s. SSD=0.17.6s.

AAPG, WT and other games are almost instant even browsing is way faster. I would highly recommend the Samsung 850 EVO SSD and it's migration (cloning) software.

Off to have some fun "quick-clicking"
    googley avatar aapg

wait it takes you 17.6 seconds to shutdown?

wait it takes you 17.6 seconds to shutdown?

Gotta save mucho settings.
    googley avatar aapg

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,184Player
    Welcome to 2015 :mrgreen:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• =[PIMP]=HG|GreitZ=[PIMP]=HG|GreitZ Posts: 23Player
    I'm looking to get a SSD now. I was waiting until 500GB was under $200. So now they are and with a new game DLC Assasin's Creed:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/442387/850_EVO-Series_500GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Internal_SSD_Single_Unit_Version_MZ-75E500B-AM

So, how do I clone my existing C drive so I can just do a swap over without having to install all this 450GB of BS I already have? Or, what is the best way?? Any comments on that particular SSD?

Samsung 950 Pro 512GB interne SSD (M.2 mit NVMe, PCI Express 3.0, bis max. 2.500MB/s) schwarz with DELOCK PCIe x4 > 1 x M.2 NGFF
    This ones i have got in February for round about 350€ from Amazone in Germany.
    I am Happyend with IT, but Don beliefert YouTube are faste in opening Any Software Programm PR games.
    Only into singleplayer loadingscreens IT Sees to be a Little Bit fasterthan before.
    The only Programm Who StArt Vers fast is Power DVD 2015, wo ...klick and There
    Sry for ma Bad englisch im from Germany.
    I hope i could help someone