we need more maps !

i play now for over 10 years America's Army 2 - and never did play aa3. now i play both games, aa2 and aapg.

what i really miss is the good old maps from aa2 like Insurgent Camp, Mountain Ambush, BridgeSE and Dusk or Border. why can you Dev's from AAPG not create them again for us? this would for sure give a boost to this game. would be nice if you could think about that :)

thanks a lot

Comments

• frankoffrankof Posts: 1,056Moderator
    Play the beerme server, theres plenty of maps.

As for recreating old AA2 maps, in general i do prefer new maps over reruns of old ones.
    (still really like the CSAR that wolverine did)
    ss_4_frankof.png
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    You need to check out the newest Official map called "Checkout" FLO and BDX versions.
    googley avatar aapg

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Patch including new map, 1 day later: "we need more maps!"
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    A long time ago I lobbied for all of Altan's awesome AA3 ports be put into an official playlist and used as a classic map pack, it was looking promising as a Dev actually gave the idea some thought, even thought it a good idea and for all I knew went to go make the necessary arrangements to make it happen..

Http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?p=157564#p157564 - Still waiting :lol:

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    I think it would be way better if the Devs made a random map generator so you would never play on the same map and no one could ever memorize the battlefield. Just like real life scenarios.

Too bad that kind of programming is way beyond the Devs knowledge. :p
    googley avatar aapg

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,159Beta Tester
    Believe it or not that could be done. You can set random routes to be open or closed, different areas of the map can be accessible or not. Constantly changing. So it can be done.
  • i play now for over 10 years America's Army 2 - and never did play aa3. now i play both games, aa2 and aapg.

what i really miss is the good old maps from aa2 like Insurgent Camp, Mountain Ambush, BridgeSE and Dusk or Border. why can you Dev's from AAPG not create them again for us? this would for sure give a boost to this game. would be nice if you could think about that :)

thanks a lot

I totally agree.

btw when my clan were playing AA2 we played on Border only. We back to play on this new version of AA just to back to play Border again, we are a lot of players from AA2 which are waiting for the old maps on this upgrated game version. I am totally sure we could have more players on AAPG if we add the old maps.

HoooaaaH
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    A long time ago I lobbied for all of Altan's awesome AA3 ports be put into an official playlist and used as a classic map pack, it was looking promising as a Dev actually gave the idea some thought, even thought it a good idea and for all I knew went to go make the necessary arrangements to make it happen..

Http://archive2.forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?p=157564#p157564 - Still waiting :lol:

We need that working again :'(
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    im remaking old aa2 maps, but im putting new stuff to them to give a new feel ,

some like it some want " classic"
  • [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    Believe it or not that could be done. You can set random routes to be open or closed, different areas of the map can be accessible or not. Constantly changing. So it can be done.

Yes it is possible, but the basic layout of the map has to be designed specifically to allow the different layouts. It would be difficult to convert most of the current maps without major redesign.
    If you remember SF Extraction from AA2, that had 4 random spawn points that you never knew which the enemy would spawn in. It was laid out in a square with a cross in. Unfortunately even that was not perfect because when the two teams spawned SE and SW, it was like shooting fish in a barrel trying to get out of SE.
    If you tried to allow random spawn and routes on a map like Downtown, it would be impossible because the map is too much of a corridor.
    I tried random spawn points on my map MedCentre, and although it works, to make the objectives fair to both teams, there is not a huge difference in position on them.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,157Player
    I'm more in favor of giving the old maps a new look. The old AA2 textures look outdated, and the look in general is very early 2000s. The maps need updates if they are to be kept relevant.

Also, the maps will never play exactly the same in AAPG as they did in AA2... at least not until they allow limiting of attachments, weapons, and grenades.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited November 2015
    SF Extraction wasn't really random spawn points. Depending on where you spawned you knew where the enemy spawned. Sure it took longer to familiarize yourself with the map and know it inside out but definitely was not 100% random the spawn points had patterns you could learn.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

Just like Ranch.
  • Bam4DBam4D Posts: 976Player
    edited November 2015
    We got plenty... dig deeper into what we got... a lot to be said about the nuances put into the current designed map set.

********Bam4D********

BE ALL (THAT) YOU CAN BE!

________Army 1980_________

People have kind of settled into their favorites and discarded the rest. Unfortunately, Inner Hospital is still the #1 map in the game. It'd be nice if something surpassed it at some point.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »
    I think it would be way better if the Devs made a random map generator so you would never play on the same map and no one could ever memorize the battlefield. Just like real life scenarios.

Too bad that kind of programming is way beyond the Devs knowledge. :p

I don't play other games much. Is there any game which does this? Sounds interesting.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited November 2015
    I don't know of any currently-released FPS with procedural map generation for small-scale combat.

Strafe was a kickstarter project this year doing procedural maps, but I think they're single-player only? Not sure.

Everybody I've ever talked to about the idea agrees that it's REALLY hard to come up with good, fun designs. You need a really smart algorithm to do truly random areas that still work. The Strafe team's approach is what many people agree is the most reasonable approach for it. They've got a bunch of pre-designed rooms that snap together like puzzle pieces so that each space has good design but the map overall can have a unique pattern.

TLmuq0E.jpg
    http://strafedevblog.com/post/93056717598/how-we-are-handling-level-generation-in-strafe
    edited November 2015
    Put it this way, map that's built in the normal fashion, it isn't easy to come up with a great design with regularity. For every top notch or even good map, there are a bunch more that are average or dreadful. This goes for both professional and amateur mappers. Some maps look great, but play terribly. Some maps are good for public gameplay, but not so good for competitive gameplay. It's very difficult to make the perfect map.

I could just imagine how much more difficult it would be if some sort of auto generation tool was ever created. Although, maybe in that sense, it could use special calculations to determine everything. Honestly, I can't see it working beyond terrain based maps.
    For testing purposes I did something like this few years ago. It was mostly done by streaming in levels. I had different variants of the same Terrain, used different procedural pieces. I set up I mean level to randomly stream in different level each time. I could creat as many as I want. I did about 6 for the test. Back in the day udk had some issues with streaming,but that's all fixed now. It's time consuming, but like I said before it can be done.
  • GoA]z!o[N]cya[GoA]z!o[N]cya[ Posts: 109Player
    There are plenty old maps with random spawn points or objectives. E.g. Steamroller or SF PCR. Remember the ES2 Version of Hospital, too. Always worth a laught seeing noobs dying by IEDs.
    PCR alone would fit the current aa:pg very well, if you ask me :*