[Finished Map] Morobayu Town

[ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,163Player
edited October 2015 in Mission Editor
Welcome one, welcome all to the small town of Morobayu!

Here's your Map/brochure link..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542858143

Common places to visit -

n224jl.jpg

*Morobayu Station*
Possibly the very reason your reading this notice, Morobayu's landmark Station purpose built in the stoneage for trainspotters, you'll be hard pressed to get a passenger car out of there to be frank.. the tunnels are blocked by what some people call a static mesh.

Station opening times -

* Mon-Fri 06:00-21:00
* Weekends 05:00-23:30

2vnrqkx.jpg

*Baras Moric Public House*
A warm and friendly pub that serves the highly popular classic Cikova wine of Czervenia. Tip, dont drink too much of the stuff, we've had people fall into the fireplace, burning themselves to death.

11uyj2f.jpg

*Cafret Rotinis*
Feeling hungry? Fill your boots at Cafret Rotini, you can find us on the second floor of The Baras Moric.

9hur05.jpg

*BubbleUp Laundromat*
Because why on earth would you wash your clothing at home?

9ablsi.jpg

*PinkPig Butcher Store*
Selling the finest cuts of meat in all of Czervenia. WE DO NOT sell horsemeat and pass it off as beef!

2le6xb7.jpg

*Gandrevd Tobacco Plc*
Go in there unhappy and come out smiling and unable to stop giggling, your one stop shop for all your herbal remedies. We also sell munchies for your munchies.

2n7me08.jpg

*Old Tires Storage yard*
Got an old banger begging for some new kicks? try some of these quality re-moulded tires. Guaranteed for up to 1 day, We operate a no returns policy.

Disclaimer - There is no war here but why not bring a few guns and some friends along with you on your visit? You might just need them. Above all, We hope you Enjoy your stay!

Tickets to visit are FREE - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=542858143

Original first post -

35chk7l.jpg

You can get it here - link dead look above for new link

So yeah, I got a little of the mapping bug back after playing on the UMM servers as such have been Re-working my original UMM map Morobayu Station, that came in the top 12 shortlist of the AA mapping competition. I had planned on doing this a LONG time ago but lost the urge to finish it.. but now it's getting done!

255tevb.jpg

The map now has rain effects, thanks to inspiration taken from playing Rogo's Rain Cobblestone map and now has an all new reworked playspace (New name too), Hopefully this will enhance the gameplay of the map and give a welcome change to the original inspiration this map came from which is the highly popular official Inner Hospital.
You can be sure to see many similarities in the layout but be aware the sightlines are not the same, this is to both to help give the map it's own identity and sort of keep the same CQB/Choke kind if gameplay that the official Inner map offers.

317fi12.jpg

I would be very interested in feedback on..

- How is performance overall, are there any parts of the map where you suffer low frames, if so where?
- How does it play overall? (is it good or bad, if good/bad.. what is bad/good about it?)
- Does the flag extract objective work OK? would you prefer/like (or would it also suit) a different game type?
- Is it well enough balanced? for example have assault got an unfair advantage on defence anywhere in the map that causes seemingly one sided gameplay? or vice versa?
- Feedback on current layout in relation to the gameplay. Could anywhere do with extra cover? is anywhere overlooked?
- How are the sounds? To high, too low? For example.. Is the ambient rain sound to loud? are those sounds sounding proper when indoors? (experimenting with volumes :) )
- Is their anything you would change/alter? add, or remove from the map?
- What gun classes/roles should be used? How many of each?
- Round time is currently 4 minutes is that enough, not enough?.. what would be enough?
- Found any bugs? Can you escape the play area (get out of map)?
- Then basically anything else you can think to say about it whatsoever, I will welcome all :)

2q3sr9d.jpg

Credits! Big Thanks to..

- Deltathunder for sharing with us all his awesome Rain package.
- Rogo's epic Rain Cobblestone map that inspired me to pick this back up! <<< CHECK IT OUT it rocks.
- The Devs for giving us a map editor so we can even do this cool stuff.
- Delton and the guys over at the -SD- Clan for hosting the map on their UMM server.

:mrgreen:

Finally, This 'IS NOT' final, I have lots of stuff to add, It should be very much playable so don't be worried to try it out, I have uploaded it early in its re-development in the hope that people will playtest it and aid me in making this map even better! So, Please give feedback, no matter what you think good or bad, I want to hear it all :)

rmqpab.jpg

Thanks, for supporting UMM's!

2j0bjno.jpg
If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

Comments

• DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    That looks excellent Uni..
    I will be jumping on this at one stage today..
    Great job :)
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,163Player
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, please let me know what you think. :wink:

I had issues with the rain meshes, sometimes they can look at certain angles (for lack of a better term) symmetrical.. like the rain falls in a line rather than randomly, I tried rotating each of the mesh plains (so all the planes were not put in a perfect in a line) and added short 300uu render distances for each mesh, which made it look a lot better (and helped immensely with performance) but I wonder if there's a way to do it differently so it looks like the rain is more natural? or is it a limitation with the way the planes of rain are? If I'm honest I am a little worried that putting too much in or overlapping them to create X shapes would destroy FPS and give worse/zero visibility,

As it is, it don't look bad at all.. but I'm all for learning better ways :)

• DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    Hey Uni slightly rotate some of the rain mesh on a angle so it appears the wind has influence on the movement and direction..
    For optimization select 1 mesh then select all matching with material then press f4 and set Maxdraw distance to 500.This will help immensely with performance.
    edited May 2015
    I already done the draw distances on the meshes, that's what I meant by render distance, I just couldnt think of the word when posting :lol: Some of them had to be put at 1000+ so it would render when looking over a longer sightline, but there are only a few needing that extreme. I went from getting between 30-50 FPS before doing it.. to a whopping 60-120 after, people with better PC's than mine should fair even better :) I Also did the same with the splashes of water that help simulate real rainfall.

Thanks for the advice, I shall have a play around with them ready for next update, I'm not sure why I didn't even think to tilt the rain planes on an angle, So I'm pretty certain this is gonna help with the problem, cheers!

On the subject of map time & balance the current fastest possible assault flag run timings are..

1. Most direct route - Through the lower pub (center of map).. under main archway.. across the platform = 24.5 secs

2. East flank route (west if you think of inner hospital) = 31.6 secs

3. Redhall/Dark room/Surgery route = 30.1 secs

4. Upper Balcony route - Top floor pub, along balcony, down stairs, across platform = 34.2 secs
    (if you go the stone stairs route (would be north stairs) and leave out upper pub, it's around 2 seconds faster @ 32.1 secs)

I would say give within a 2 second discretion at most depending how fast you can do things like shoot glass and vault :wink:

edited May 2015
    Map Fixes 12/05

- Fixed/moved a few overhanging Water/puddle mesh plains on upper balcony stone staircase areas, as they were blocking bullets.
    - Fixed issue where Player could get stuck on a trashcan and be unable to move, (also moved a black bag around same area that caused silly pawn collision bobbing)
    - Tweaked some of the reverb volumes in tunnel areas to achieve a more 'tunnel like' sound when firing, and running/walking through.
    - Lowered many, many of the water splash effect actors to actual ground level in places where they were raised above and looked weird.
    - Raised a map Barrier stone wall a little higher as players could jump up and see the great plains of nothingness beyond the actual playspace.
    - Added physical material to chair/couch in East alley.
    - Added a glass physical material to some window meshes that didn't have them.
    - Added comm volumes to around 30% of the overall map locations.
    - Added quite a lot more rain falloff to roof areas.
    - Added a material to the BSP plains on the ends of train tunnels that could be seen through a magnified scope.
    - Tweaked ambient rain sound to sound more natural. (Overall rain-pour outdoor global Volume will need testing)
    - Added splashing/dripping sounds outside of building entrances to help transition from near silence to rain.
    - Changed Team names back to Attack/Defend as U.S Forces and N.M.E Forces were not working as planned, this is due to us always playing as US soldiers whether on assault or defence.

Known work still to be done

- Alter the hundred+ rain meshes to look more natural by tilting/angling them slightly off straight where wind can be factored in. (Thanks delta!)
    - Add in a slight, low volume global wind type of ambient sound to accompany the rain.
    - Add in camera actors (action cams) for spectators.
    - Further tweaks to playspace, including adding cover and lots of new assets to make it look pretty.
    - Waiting for a good train engine mesh when game releases :mrgreen: to help break up the repetitiveness of limited current train/cargo cars.
    - Top window in pub will not break with flashes or nades (thanks for report Delton)

edited May 2015
    Anyone know of anyway I can rotate the whole map by 180 degrees? so I can get west compass point direction where east currently is?

Preferably without selecting the whole level and rotating it? (I don't think my PC will like the idea of doing that and will almost certainly crash)

• TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    Nice!!
    edited May 2015
    Fixes & Map Changes 14/05

Fixes

- Top window in pub will not break with flashes or nades thrown at it (thanks for report Delton) (FIXED) :+1:
    - Global ambient Rain sound volume level lowered slightly (feedback request).
    - One Rain mesh not rendering in the distance when looking out in a certain direction from under the balcony area (Pub side).

Changes

- Replaced some building roof materials to its normal roof texture, buildings that had default snow painted on them (Coldfront meshes), they just didn't fit in or look right as was.
    - Added more Ivy foliage to upper balcony and various other places around the map.
    - Global Wind ambient sound added.
    - Added about 50-60% of comm volumes.
    - Added action cams to pub, assault and defence spawns and various common confrontation spots on the map.
    - More cover added to alleyways.. Fences, boxes, benches etc..
    - Added more lighting to some of the more darker areas.
    - Added door meshes to the door openings in the laundry room.
    - Decals added to more buildings to give them individuality.

Known 'To do' (on top of last list that didn't get done already) and ideas to improve.

- Alter the Rain planes.
    - Finish adding in comm volumes.
    - Decide on weapon classes to be used on the map.
    - Fix a pawn clipping issue into the East archway when pawn leans to the right, when under the archway.
    - Continue to add 'pretty' things. Work on open areas, add trees, pavements, grass and things to make these areas less 'bare'. Balconies under windows, overhangs, drainpipes all sorts of cool wacky fun stuff.
    - Work on 'Dark room' area as it's currently 'too dark', may add in low level (red coloured) lighting. Or alternately have blinking/flashing/sparking broken tube light effect in that area.
    - Add in pavement areas to the thin streets where needed/expected, as nobody has mud outside there front door, well maybe farmers :lol:
    - Add occasional cracks of thunder.
    - Add a more stormy looking skybox.

Special Thanks to folks at SD for the Feedback so far! much appreciated.
    Myself wrote:
    Anyone know of anyway I can rotate the whole map by 180 degrees? so I can get west compass point direction where east currently is?

Preferably without selecting the whole level and rotating it? (I don't think my PC will like the idea of doing that and will almost certainly crash)

I'm told this is not going to be very good for Comp, mainly due to not being able to hear footsteps like you can on inner and other maps.. but I honestly don't see any comps using UMM's in their map lineup/rosters anyways so I say what does that matter? I can only say this map is intended for 'anyone' to enjoy no matter how you play.. pub, clan, comp, whatever.. and hopefully it's niche will be that it provides something a little different from 'the norm'.

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    Excellent map well done Uni-Sol.

Here is the ip of our server running this map
    77.75.123.211:7888
    Name of server:-SD-BDX MAPS & UsermadeMaps No M24
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    Awesome!
    googley avatar aapg

edited May 2015
    Thanks guys :)

On another note.. I have been experimenting using a 2 story building where the Dark room currently is. Thing is.. on it's own, it kinda 'over exposes' the extract location as it's not feasible to keep the divide between the station and the darkroom area (what would be the big reception wall area on inner in-front of dark) simply because there would be no point in having a 2 floor building with that wall/building directly facing it.

Maybe though it's still possible to provide a re-balance to that kind of change.. I'm thinking another building near the extract location itself, that could counter any people using 2nd floor dark or even balcony too, only problem is, there would be nothing to stop the whole defence team sitting there blocking off the extract point, if I put too much around that area.. people will likely stay around there rather than use the 3 routes. I don't think defence would need bother to leave the spawn/obj area, which would render a large portion of the level an unplayed, throughfare. :lol:

Attackers need to have the possibility to get the flag to extract as much as defenders gotta be able to defend it from happening. With such an open space it's quite tricky to change much without major impact on the gameplay. Not going to lie, I'm real wary of changing too much because of knackering up the balance completely. I could always make an actual station in that main obj area.. but that would make upper balcony near useless too. So many opportunities to change it up, but so many ways to screw it all up :(

With so many cons to one changed element.. I might just leave it, but it's said "he who dares, wins".. right? :lol:

I also have an option of sticking C4 in defence spawn (switching around sides) and having the bombsite in lower pub (bamboo), that would force the whole map to be played. not sure why US Forces would need to blow up a pub though :lol:

I bet you want to use the new overload assets so bad!

Yep, It pains me that I'm going to have to wait until release to get the grubbies on them. Mostly because of the new train related stuff.. I tried to dabble on the first opt in, hit and run.. grab whatever I needed while it was there.. but for some reason the map wouldn't load in the editor, whenever I tried it just crashed :(

edited May 2015
    :astonished:

hmmm.. I shall wait, this thing already consumes enough of my life :lol:

Map is on hold until after the games release, this gives me the opportunity to use any new assets and ensure the map works with the game. Finishing it now is probably going to be counter productive.

I'd like to thank the guys at -SD- clan for hosting the map on their UMM server, providing feedback and all the other people who have enjoyed the map so far.

• -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,362Player
    I hope the dev's add this to official map list when new game come out.
    Great map Uni-Sol well done.
    edited July 2015
    -SD-DELTON wrote: »
    I hope the dev's add this to official map list when new game come out.
    Great map Uni-Sol well done.

snowhite.jpg

Thanks Delton.. Your a charmer :mrgreen:

New PC, new Opt-in incoming.. I might just get this bad boy actually finished..

Coming Soon™ *

(* used without permission, all rights belong to Americas Army)

edited July 2015
    Oh.. and a big change will happen on update.. (other than lots of small environ changes and fixes 'all listed above') the gamemode is going to be changing to activated, 3 sites.. One in dark.. One in upper pub (where bamboo is on inner) and last one near defense spawn (undecided on putting it either in the tool shed or launderette).

EDIT - X is in Dark, Y is in Upper Pub and Z is on the end of long corridor west (where information is on inner)

This change will now force play of ALL the map and deter a defense team from just camping extract, which was something I worried would happen.

I was going to do bomb but I can't think up a legit story why anyone would want to blow up a Pub (ideal location in center of map) and for me.. a mission has to have a meaning or its just not a mission at all :lol:

edited August 2015
    Map is really getting there!!! all my checklist and fixes from above are virtually complete (except re-adding in the rain and sounds) and testing offline is going great!.. Basically I'm now simply waiting on sounds and editor fixes so I can test it with these things in and then the actual games release to push it to final.

Notable changes..

- New train diesel engine model added (Massive thanks to @(Beer_me)lobo )
    - New boxcar models from Overload map added to train tracks.. into which Assault spawns.. Feels a lot more station like now :)
    - A new 'Storage' building has been added to rear of platform. (outside dark)
    - Mission changed to Activated.. 3 sites (this change will now force the usage of the whole map)
    - Lots and lots of asset placement to the map to make it feel a whole lot more life-like.. Shop fronts, houses, cliffs, more foliage (not bushes), decals, clutter and all manner of various objects.

To add/change..

- Soft rumble of thunder at round start (when sound works in the editor :lol: )
    - All Rain meshes will be done last, all changed to be smaller and altered slightly to fall at an angle to simulate wind effects. (this will hopefully fix the overly thick looking, 'tunnel effect' kind of rain from before)
    - A Slight wind sound 'was' in with the rain before the opt-in.. but was removed from the game or changed, likely due to the new sound engine change (will be hopefully adding that back in as it sounded awesome with the rain!)
    - Add even more environmental coolness, because why not!

As requested.. I also now plan on releasing a non-rainy version of the map for anyone to play who maybe don't care for such cool rain effects and accompanying sounds getting slightly in the way of gameplay, which is of course very understandable. (This alternate version will be replacing the original Morobayu Station )