Rebilding shader cache

(Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
edited November 2015 in Mission Editor - Support
We have noticed recently that some maps still require the client and the server to rebuild shader cache even after it has been seared. It seems to be only the first time the map is loaded.
ie: Pipeline by MacLobster
and ArcticNight by (Beer_Me)Roach

Not sure of any others yet but I will be testing later this week

Comments

• [NoL]W_a_t_c_h[NoL]W_a_t_c_h Posts: 133Player
    I thought that searing just meant that once the server had built the shaders once, that information was saved in the map file, so even if the server rebooted, you didn't have to rebuild again.
    I don't think it means that the editor builds the shaders.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited November 2015
    I thought that searing just meant that once the server had built the shaders once, that information was saved in the map file, so even if the server rebooted, you didn't have to rebuild again.
    I don't think it means that the editor builds the shaders.
    The announcement suggests the server shouldn't even need to build them once.

http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/3597/small-update-10-26-2015/p1
    This option to "sear" is turned on by default, and the process is highly recommended, as players (and servers) won't have to compile shaders the first time they load a seared map.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,121Beta Tester
    That must be a bug. I would suggest deleting the metadata file and checking unchecking the sear box then trying to uploading/republishing the map to Steam.
    Well I think every map I have uploaded to our server (including Rusneyev ;) ) after that update has had to build shader cache once before letting people straight in, so if it is a bug, it happens with all maps that I have tried.
    I wonder if this has something to do with server then. Because I put all my maps on the server and didn't have to rebuild shaders. Just to be clear, when server switches map, you see the little message pop up saying server is building shaders? Or because it takes little long to get into a server on some maps, you are assuming is building shaders?
    In most cases, it takes ages to load, then rather than the message saying press a key to continue, it gives some AA Error where the map name would be (I think it is AA Stack Error, but I can't remember exactly) and you press a key and it takes you back to main menu.
    If you then refresh the server browser a few times, the map name shows as the old one a few times, and then changes to the new one, at which point you connect, it says building shader cache and connects pretty much immediately.

I took the error to be similar to the open beta days where it would drop you to the tires screen, and you would have to reconnect.

This is on LowPingGameServers server, in case it is something with that. Not tried it on our Gameservers server, as that doesn't run UMMs.
  • RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    Is enough to upload to server's directory the .umap files or we need to upload also the metadata files?
    I haven't tried only uploading the umap file, but I think you do need to upload the metadata file as well.
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    It says rebuilding shader cache on the right side while the video is playing (Client side) and the load time on Pipeline was in excess of 2 minutes, Arctic was much faster but still stated rebuilding shader cache.
    For the server it took more than 2 minutes for the map change to be indicated in the server list (Browser)
    Very odd Roach. Because I don't remember having this issue with your server or you mentioning anything about it till you put pipeline on the server. I remeber loading Arctic without any issues. Did you re-publish it again? Was it in its own folder?
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 249Player
    edited November 2015
    Yes that's true it just started the day I put Pipeline up and now since the patch today , every map is rebuilding shaders, evry map with no exception its odd?
    And this includes all the maps that have been on the server for months