Dynamic IP

Hello

I would love hosting a server for me and my friends but I'm stuck because I have a dynamic IP and not a static one. I do however use a dynamic dns service that keeps my domain always pointing to my server even if or when the ip changes.

Are you guys going to support domains in the future?
Thanks

Comments

• [Unix]Seth[Unix]Seth Posts: 10Player
    I mean as far as I know, there are no games that require static IPs. I've hosted counter strike, rust, arma 3, ark, warcraft 3, minecraft, insurgency, teamspeak, you name it, i've hosted it.

It's just weird I cannot host this game just because my ISP doesn't give out static IPs anymore since btw they all ran out (ipv4)
  • m_hermannm_hermann Posts: 632Moderator
    you can run it, just can't register it as we can't be updating your registration everytime you reboot your PC.
    I have a dynamic IP also, same IP for years at a time. So it's almost a static address.
    edited November 2015
    To be honest my router currently has an uptime of a month :wink: AND it's on UPS backup.
    That being said, there might be a chance when the power is out for more than 30 minutes causing the battery to die and the router to restart.

Will I be able to, say, worst case scenario, re-submit the server registration monthly In case of IP change? could that be allowed?
    Server registration is a manual process, it will likely only be a problem if the admin keeps seeing IP change requests. I hesitate to give you an X amount per year is ok without their feedback.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
    Would you be willing to submit my question the people in charge of that? I would love an answer on this.

Thanks!
  • Stan_LeforStan_Lefor Posts: 1Player
    Got the same problem here...

If you say "you can run it", does it mean that friends will be able to access it through direct ip connection?
    Indeed if it's possible, not having an officiel server is not a big deal, even if it would be better :)

Thanks
    Stan_Lefor wrote: »
    Got the same problem here...

If you say "you can run it", does it mean that friends will be able to access it through direct ip connection?
    Indeed if it's possible, not having an officiel server is not a big deal, even if it would be better :)

Thanks

yes
    It might still list in the server browser, not sure about that.
    To my knowledge the server wont be listed in the server browser without the server registration.
    That being said, I would like to find out the acceptable frequency of the IP change processed by the staff.

Thanks
  • I don't get it why cant you guys support a custom IP. I hope to see that in the next update

Thanks.

- StackableGold
  • Just checked it out turns out you use your PC's IP (Ipv4)
    To find it open command prompt on windows and type in ipconfig
    then look for IPV4

Setting up a static IP for your PC is not hard but you need to know your DNS to find out your DNS you would type in command prompt ipconfig /all

There are videos out there as well which show you how to do it.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited November 2015
    Just checked it out turns out you use your PC's IP (Ipv4)
    To find it open command prompt on windows and type in ipconfig
    then look for IPV4

Setting up a static IP for your PC is not hard but you need to know your DNS to find out your DNS you would type in command prompt ipconfig /all

There are videos out there as well which show you how to do it.

IPConfig is often going to give you your LAN address -- the IP used on your own network behind your router. The IP relevant to server authentication is the WAN address. Whether this WAN IP is static or dynamic is usually up to your ISP, not to any particular machine or router setting.

OP has a dynamic address. This isn't something he has control over or can change. It's unfortunate his domain can't be used as a workaround.

I would guess the preference for static IP registration exists for whitelisting which machines may communicate with whatever hardware they need to talk to. Dynamic IPs and redirects complicate what sounds like a manual process for approval.
  • [UNSF]-SPC_StackableGold[UNSF]-SPC_StackableGold Posts: 27Player
    edited November 2015
    Intresting.
  • Also I wish to point out the following

You got the confirmation IP in host server then you have the Advanced IP option, seems tho as if they want to use your PC's IP and then you need to go find your modem's IP and put it under Advanced IP section... I could be wrong Its been a long day for me.
  • So confusing Looks like you can set a static IP after all in the modem settings... :|
    ZfkOOze.png
  • K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    So confusing Looks like you can set a static IP after all in the modem settings... :|
    ZfkOOze.png

You can configure what type of connection wan is going to be in many routers but then it would be mismatch with your isp configuration which would lead to no connection being established. There are also configuration options for user name and authentication but many isp do leave those section empty as well.
    edited November 2015
    StackableGold, I really appreciate you trying to help but not everyone has the same setup as you :) Let me explain...

Hardware wise, I have a Fiber to the home (FTTH for short) line that comes from my Internet Service Provider (ISP for short) and goes straight into my house. This fiber line then connects to the optical network terminal (ONT for short) which I've rented from the ISP. This equipment can run as a wireless router by itself but I've disabled that function because I have my own dedicated router (Asus RT-AC68U) so its currently setup as bridged. That means I use it to go from Fiber to Ethernet (my Router's WAN connects to it).

Software wise, I use Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE for short) to connect to the internet. The router establishes a PPPOE connection based on the credentials (username and password) my ISP provided for me. Every time I establish a connection, my ISP leases a pair of dynamic Internet Protocol address (IPs for short) for me, IPv4 and IPv6, respectively.

Now, both the ONT and my router are powered by a Uninterruptible power supply (UPS for short). This device is a big battery that can keep them both AND my server online for at least 40 minutes before dying in case of a power outage, hence why my router and the ONT currently have an uptime of 29 days (so the same IPv4 IP address for 29 days)

HOWEVER

Sometimes I will manually restart the router because of a firmware update or it will get restarted due to an unforeseen power outage longer than 40 minutes. When this happens my router will have to establish a new PPPOE connection meaning new IP addresses!

BUT

My ISP does have a reliable Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS for short) and using that + another 2 DDNS third party services (no-ip.com and afraid.org) means I'm accessible on a total of 3 domains. That's right, 3 different domains that will always point to my home server no matter what. The 1st domain's DNS is updated directly by my ISP. The only thing i have to do is to establish a PPPOE connection and their system will update the domain to reflect to the new dynamic IP. The 2nd domain is kept updated by the router's software. Same deal, when my router establishes the PPPOE connection it will run a linux script to update my records on afraid.org. The 3rd domain is kept updated by my physical server. I'm talking about the nice Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC for short) from no-ip.com that can also run as a service and starts with Windows.

ALSO

Let me get this out of the way, we're out of IPv4 addresses! Every possible combination is already taken or reserved by one company or another. That's why ISPs can't afford to give a static IP for each and every one of their customers. There's a finite amount of them and all of them are taken!. The future is IPv6. So America's Army asking for a static IPv4 is like going back in time to the year 2000 :smiley:

Hopefully I've been thorough enough. Below I've attached a picture with my gigabit internet speed line which translates to roughly 116 mb/s download speed, AND the best part is that its only 15 USD for it per month :hushed:

PB7rcO3.png
  • [Unix]Seth wrote: »
    StackableGold, I really appreciate you trying to help but not everyone has the same setup as you :) Let me explain...

Hardware wise, I have a Fiber to the home (FTTH for short) line that comes from my Internet Service Provider (ISP for short) and goes straight into my house. This fiber line then connects to the optical network terminal (ONT for short) which I've rented from the ISP. This equipment can run as a wireless router by itself but I've disabled that function because I have my own dedicated router (Asus RT-AC68U) so its currently setup as bridged. That means I use it to go from Fiber to Ethernet (my Router's WAN connects to it).

Software wise, I use Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPOE for short) to connect to the internet. The router establishes a PPPOE connection based on the credentials (username and password) my ISP provided for me. Every time I establish a connection, my ISP leases a pair of dynamic Internet Protocol address (IPs for short) for me, IPv4 and IPv6, respectively.

Now, both the ONT and my router are powered by a Uninterruptible power supply (UPS for short). This device is a big battery that can keep them both AND my server online for at least 40 minutes before dying in case of a power outage, hence why my router and the ONT currently have an uptime of 29 days (so the same IPv4 IP address for 29 days)

HOWEVER

Sometimes I will manually restart the router because of a firmware update or it will get restarted due to an unforeseen power outage longer than 40 minutes. When this happens my router will have to establish a new PPPOE connection meaning new IP addresses!

BUT

My ISP does have a reliable Dynamic Domain Name System (DDNS for short) and using that + another 2 DDNS third party services (no-ip.com and afraid.org) means I'm accessible on a total of 3 domains. That's right, 3 different domains that will always point to my home server no matter what. The 1st domain's DNS is updated directly by my ISP. The only thing i have to do is to establish a PPPOE connection and their system will update the domain to reflect to the new dynamic IP. The 2nd domain is kept updated by the router's software. Same deal, when my router establishes the PPPOE connection it will run a linux script to update my records on afraid.org. The 3rd domain is kept updated by my physical server. I'm talking about the nice Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC for short) from no-ip.com that can also run as a service and starts with Windows.

ALSO

Let me get this out of the way, we're out of IPv4 addresses! Every possible combination is already taken or reserved by one company or another. That's why ISPs can't afford to give a static IP for each and every one of their customers. There's a finite amount of them and all of them are taken!. The future is IPv6. So America's Army asking for a static IPv4 is like going back in time to the year 2000 :smiley:

Hopefully I've been thorough enough. Below I've attached a picture with my gigabit internet speed line which translates to roughly 116 mb/s download speed, AND the best part is that its only 15 USD for it per month :hushed:

PB7rcO3.png

Dang 15 USD my dad pays more then that for a month!
    edited November 2015
    So confusing Looks like you can set a static IP after all in the modem settings... :|
    ZfkOOze.png

You can configure what type of connection wan is going to be in many routers but then it would be mismatch with your isp configuration which would lead to no connection being established. There are also configuration options for user name and authentication but many isp do leave those section empty as well.

In my modem settings tho, (Actiontec PK5000) there is a area in quick setup that asks for PPP Username and PPP pasword I don't know if other modems contain this but the one at my house does.

ISP - Century Link (Was Qwest till Century Link bought them out)
    edited November 2015
    Also why cant we use A custom IP in the first place, we wouldn't have this type of problem. (I use a DUC for a server of mine on a other game that auto updates the custom IP)