Altan's Maps

Since Altan is MIA and there is no idea if he will ever update his maps, I remember not long ago someone was accuser of republishing someones maps in their name.. SO does that mean there is access to the maps? could someone not do Altans work for him? is it a long process to update?

Just really would like some of them original ported maps

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw

Comments

• TrIn@dOr^SuRTrIn@dOr^SuR Posts: 215Player
    Like the idea!!
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 624Beta Tester
    edited November 2015
    What exactly has to be done on those maps? I know that some don't have the role system, but what else is there to do?
    Edit: I have feeling that the new sound engine messed up the sounds as well...
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,161Player
    You can't do it because of all of the custom static meshes. When a map is cooked, you can still open it, you can copy everything in it, but any custom meshes and textures won't copy with the rest of the map. Since he ported the map from AA2, probably just about everything is custom rather than stock AAPG meshes.

Maybe at best, you can copy some of the outdoor maps. Other than that, you're SOL. There are a few good remakes of AA2 maps. Hopefully people make more.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    you can make new versions ,
    as long as its your work , since they are aa2 maps they are open to copying ,

but i thought i saw altan on-line yesterday ,
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,169Player
    I've pm'd many time and left him messages in steam, never got any response back. I even offered to help him with them. And told him if he had no time I'd take them from him and do the work for him. Just got ignored with all of it.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    That sux, at least respond back

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    As I stated in other threads, for me don't really matter anymore about aa2/3 maps. But I want to get them out there for you guys, just to help out the UMM's scene. What ever it takes to grow it. I hate porting maps, but I might have to take the important once out and do them. I just hope he's really busy right now, and he"ll get back to fixing them all or at least pass them over to someone to do so.
    edited November 2015
    There are ways of retrieving textures and stuff from cooked packages, Altan got the files from the original game itself on the first place... I did it with AA3 a while ago... But the retrieved stuff is quite painful to work with, or I was to n00bish to make my life easier. E.g. All meshes lost their collision data, I had to recreate them by hand. I know for a fact, that Altan did the same with the AA2 meshes.

I really don't want to hint, that I can or willing do it, but I can try to take a look this weekend, and see how much work it looks. (And most likely realize that I'm not competent to do it.)
  • -SD-DELTON-ACI--SD-DELTON-ACI- Posts: 1,518Player
    Has anyone made Impact from aa3.
    gKQ6BB2.png
    I know how to do all that. I know all the tricks in box. It's about mapping etiquettes. Otherswise it would take few days to port each map. :D
  • (Beer_me)lobo(Beer_me)lobo Posts: 649Player
    ive not had a problem with the static meshes ,just open the obj file in max an export as fbx ,then its good to go , its time consuming, also if you want to use the original textures ,open them in photo shop save as tga the create your material :smiley:
    again time consuming , thats why my dusk remake has stock materials to give it a different feel

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551749182
    edited November 2015
    ive not had a problem with the static meshes ,just open the obj file in max an export as fbx ,then its good to go , its time consuming, also if you want to use the original textures ,open them in photo shop save as tga the create your material :smiley:
    again time consuming , thats why my dusk remake has stock materials to give it a different feel

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551749182

The problem is that if you simply export it to FBX, then you'll get many copies of the same mesh, with different pivot/origin point. It's a big waste of file size... Plus you can't (I couldn't) export brushes.
    Edit: sorry, I was talking about the UDK editor export, I don't know Max.
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    Didn't Altan at some point share a tool he used for making those maps or to extract assets from the original maps or something like that?

Maybe others can use that to make them playable again.
    Yes, Lobo is using that now. And as he stated, it's time consuming.
  • [SWISS]Merlin[SWISS]Merlin Posts: 172Player
    i did talk about that all with Altan/ELiZ. i do konw him quite good.
    so far, he did say that he will NOT republish hes map again. he did also say that maybe he will change his mind in future about it.

i also did tell him that others will republish his map then......

i do have all aa2 maps as they were played befor final release. i can load them without any problem in editor. i can rebuild them (with some small error). i dont know why, but the editor will crash when i try to play a map befor uploading. so if some of you with more experience about the editor could rebuild them, this would be great. the maps are not made by Altan, they were "only" rebuild, thats it. in that case still property of aa i guess.

and therefor free to rebuild.
  • [SWISS]Merlin[SWISS]Merlin Posts: 172Player
    a dev will correct me soon if i might be wrong.
    Personally, I'd rather people just remake the maps in a unique way kind of like Wolverine's CSAR.
  • LookAss^SuRLookAss^SuR Posts: 28Player
    When will we see some Wolverine's Pipeline?!?!
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited November 2015
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Since Altan is MIA and there is no idea if he will ever update his maps, I remember not long ago someone was accuser of republishing someones maps in their name.. SO does that mean there is access to the maps? could someone not do Altans work for him? is it a long process to update?

Just really would like some of them original ported maps

Those exact copy's are not good for this game. Hallways/corridors have to be widen etc. Windows have to blocked off from vaulting, Id rather see someone try their best at remake with this game in mind and this games playstyle in my mind. Like Pipeline really isnt pipeline when all 12 spawn in top PC and you take to much damage jumping from 2nd floor to 1st floor. You need people spawn first floor and top PC to balance that map, etc.. Another thing about pipeline the PC room the windows you are able to shoot through in AAPG so that something else that needs fixing.
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather people just remake the maps in a unique way kind of like Wolverine's CSAR.

yes, but not like harbour assault to urban assault I do like that it is basically the same layout. I main issue I guess is everything is open on harbour and in urban assault not everything was open like that.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

I think certain things like where you were able to grenade previously, where you jump vs. now you can vault, etc. needs to be taken into consideration. When I remade McKenna I decided to make a couple of the areas outdoors where they used to be indoors. I had to spend time trying to figure out ways to make it so that players couldn't spam over the walls into the outdoor area from the north side. Also, in the tower, I had to add windows so people couldn't just toss grenades down into that area as well. Things like this need to be considered.

In Harbor Assault, one of the objective areas was completely opened up, and in the other it's pretty simple to just toss grenades in. This was not possible in the original map and it completely changes the game style.