Audio Updates Heading Your Way

SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
Greetings everyone. First, I would like to thank the military veteran members of our community for their service, sacrifice, and dedication in the name of freedom.

I would like to announce some forthcoming updates to our game audio. As you are aware the audio team has been working for quite some time to supplement our upgrade to the WWISE audio engine with 3D capabilities. Although I do not have specific dates for you to expect this update, I can say that we are close to completing testing and adjustments, and I have collected lots of positive feedback in house so far.

What adjustments you say? Well in summary, we had to balance the hardware resource usage (ya i know… your favorite subject… haha) with the amount of simultaneous 3D audio instances that we wanted to hear within close range of the player. After considerable effort, we came up with something that we are pretty happy with. The 3D effect is subtle, but quite effective. The overall mix feels clean and discrete and has more dynamic range, yet is still very gritty when the action heats up. You will notice some loudness and attenuation (listening range) adjustments to player driven sound groups. The purpose is to develop more distinct “patterns” for a players tactical awareness of distance and direction of movement around them. You will hear this effect best with headphones, and I recommend shutting off all software audio enhancements or modifications initially to see what works best for you.

Unfortunately, we were not able to complete this step until after the official release because, simply, we were not confident in the stability of the 3D audio technology at that time. I for one am playing better in house with the addition. I look forward to releasing the update to you. As always, thank you for your patience.

- [Dev]Soundy

Comments

• .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    edited November 2015
    Sounds good! Looking forward to it! Is the plan to have this ready for 1.1 or just whenever its ready? Also to clarify for some people by turning off all software audio enhancements you mean stuff like creatives SBX Surround and pretty much every in the SBX Tru Studio area? or CMSS 3D and Asus's dolby headphone or 7.1 virtual surround, Correct?
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Sounds good.. I suspect this doesn't affect any weapon aounds?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    It's more how you hear them, not changes to the actual sound assets.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SoundySoundy Posts: 87Developer
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Sounds good.. I suspect this doesn't affect any weapon aounds?

As FunPolice mentioned, no sounds themselves are changed. The balance of how you hear sounds adjust (in loudness and direction) as you play will be different.
    edited November 2015
    Sounds good! Looking forward to it! Is the plan to have this ready for 1.1 or just whenever its ready? Also to clarify for some people by turning off all software audio enhancements you mean stuff like creatives SBX Surround and pretty much every in the SBX Tru Studio area? or CMSS 3D and Asus's dolby headphone or 7.1 virtual surround, Correct?

The plan is to release the audio updates with the next game update release. I'm not sure what version number it will be called. Whenever the game update is ready in its entirety is more accurate. I will say that I saw some map screenshots on another forum discussion a few posts down in News and Announcements that look... very familiar. :wink:

On the audio portion of your question, that is correct. Those are great examples. With the addition of the 3D technology running in WWISE, it may change how those enhancements react. It's probably best to shut them off at first even if you end up turning them back on, just to see how things sound.

Just as reference, I run a set of stereo headphones with a built in mic and no equalizers or virtual surrounds engaged through the internal sound card. The 3D effect works well.
  • =U^S=_Mason=U^S=_Mason Posts: 167Beta Tester
    Looking forward to these changes! From what I hear they are going to be great!!!
    "9 people make up over 50% of all of the posts on this forums.
    The VAST majority of our players just play."
  • =IK=SgtBadazz=IK=SgtBadazz Posts: 160Player
    Is there a way to shut off the 3D if one feels that their sound card's software does a better job at 3 D localization?
    edited November 2015
    Is there a way to shut off the 3D if one feels that their sound card's software does a better job at 3 D localization?

Great question. At this time, that is a negative.

I should note that with WWISE's PC platform, no matter what sound card you send the audio output to, there are no sound source/listener position coordinate calculations being performed and mixed on a sound card. An external sound card or any software emulations for that sound card cannot create 3D with our game. With the game engine and WWISE, sound is entirely software mixed and utilizes CPU and RAM resources. So whether you send the 2, 4, 5.1, or 7.1 channel output stream to an onboard or external sound card, it's outputting a pre-mix giving you azimuth with no elevation, unless WWISE utilizes a 3D technology as it creates the stream, which we have integrated for this next game release.

What I am getting at is, if anything, this integrated 3D is going to help your performance not hurt it, however we do plan on adding a disable feature in the UI audio settings page in the future for personal preference.

Looking forward to these changes! From what I hear they are going to be great!!!

Well said.

This is not something you would want trust me.

• CrushmasterCrushmaster Posts: 496Player
    I have so missed being able to hear footsteps perfectly like in beta. Looking forward to the update.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    The beta didn't have 3d audio. This is all new!
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

It didn't? Well, whatever beta had, it was way better and accurate. :D Looking forward to see what y'all come up with.
    It didn't? Well, whatever beta had, it was way better and accurate. :D Looking forward to see what y'all come up with.

What sound card and headphones do you have? because the new audio engine is miles better than the old beta one.

What sound card and headphones do you have? because the new audio engine is miles better than the old beta one.
    I've used two headphones since the update, both pretty low end. As for soundcard, I just have a low range laptop, so no idea, but, again, definitely not high end.

However, even a lot of people with significantly better PCs have complained about the sound, but, hey, maybe their soundcard is just mediocre.

This game is meant as a recruiting tool, though, so requiring high-end anything kinda goes against the whole point. But that's apparently what this update is trying to fix, at least in the sound department...
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 1,991Player
    A lot of people have their sound configured in a way that makes the game just not sound right. Colts helped me out a while back and I've been hearing a lot better ever since.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    edited November 2015

I've used two headphones since the update, both pretty low end. As for soundcard, I just have a low range laptop, so no idea, but, again, definitely not high end.

This is the very reason why we have worked so hard across the board, including audio, to give players the best experience possible with a range of PC hardware. Not everyone has top of the line rigs, and you shouldn't have to.

As mentioned before, I use a stereo headset with mic and onboard sound card on my PC with no virtual surrounds, EQ's, or other audio adjustments.

Correction... I do turn the VOIP volume down a little in game. Good comms by teammates are appreciated but players can get pretty nervy keying up with lots of action when I'm tracking the NME and zeroing in. :smile:
    edited November 2015
    Yes this reason I ask is because I have helped a lot of people configure their sound cards that were setup improperly. Like for example SBX Surround on the Sound blaster z series should be 35-40% Ive had people tell me they had it really high, just stuff like that. Basically a sound card does not come setup properly out of box you have to configure it properly. So a lot of people complaining actually just have this issue and the better sound engine the more you will notice how poorly your setup may be.

But by the sounds of it it seems like your running onboard sound assuming you are not using a usb headset? That being said alls I can really help you with is making sure you got the latest drivers, any silly realtek enhancements off, and your sound in your driver console is set to headphones and for windows sound configuration you set it to 5.1. (Right click your sound icon bottom right, playback settings, configure on speakers, next few steps depends on your headphones, but most likely you want Center, subwoofer, and rear pair checked. For the next step Full Range Speakers you really only want to check those 2 if you have a highend pair of headphones. (If you do have highend studio headphones try listening to music with the Full range 2 options checked then try checking them and see if its better or worse.)

Whiplash27 wrote: »
    A lot of people have their sound configured in a way that makes the game just not sound right. Colts helped me out a while back and I've been hearing a lot better ever since.
    I don't have any sound configurations so that's not my problem.
    Soundy wrote: »
    This is the very reason why we have worked so hard across the board, including audio, to give players the best experience possible with a range of PC hardware. Not everyone has top of the line rigs, and you shouldn't have to.

As mentioned before, I use a stereo headset with mic and onboard sound card on my PC with no virtual surrounds, EQ's, or other audio adjustments.

Correction... I do turn the VOIP volume down a little in game. Good comms by teammates are appreciated but players can get pretty nervy keying up with lots of action when I'm tracking the NME and zeroing in. :smile:
    Good to hear a dedication to those with lesser PCs. The frame rates need even more help than the audio in that department, since even people with high ends have frame drops, but hopefully soon, eh? :D

Thanks for the reply and the work you've put in and will put in the game.
    edited November 2015
    Every sound either onboard or sound card has some sort of control panel/console for sound configurations so maybe your missing something important. Basically you want to make sure like soundy said all that is off, and you are set to headphones as the audio mode.