Very sluggish and laggy - how to optimize editor?

I have a 52mb map and when I load it in the 64 bit full editor....it lags very bad and is sluggish.

How can we optimize the editor or otherwise speed up performance within the editor?
AA2 veteran player / fanboy

Comments

• Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 585Beta Tester
    edited November 2015
    The editor can lose a lot of FPS because of unbuilt lighting. Any time you place or move an object, you (partially) ruin the built lights. This means you PC will try to compute them real time, which just kills your FPS.

The easiest way to eliminate this is to turn you view mode from the default 'Lit' to 'Unlit' (Hotkeys: Lit: Alt+4, Unlit: Alt+3). This will give you a 'shadowless' view of the map, dramatically increasing your FPS. (Example: my map with no built lights, moving camera, Lit FPS: ~3, Unlit FPS: ~60.) Of course you can't fine-tune the lights of the map in this view, but it's perfect for moving around objects and general editing.

After building the lights, you can look around just fine in Lit mode as well, but building can take several minutes so it's not time effective to do it after every single object being placed.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.
  • vapor.ivapor.i Posts: 271Player
    Thanks Levente, worked like a charm!
    AA2 veteran player / fanboy
  • Dct.F|LeventeDct.F|Levente Posts: 585Beta Tester
    No problem! I'm glad I could help you.
    Theory and reality are not that different. In theory.