Steam account and AA

Hi, this is for the Devs.
I apologize if this has been discussed, or if I am ignorant of the facts.

Can you explain the reason for the relationship with Steam? I assume it is for a central download and update source.

The main reason I ask is, I don't understand the lack of a requirement from the game of having a valid, fully set up, and easily cross-referenced steam account. If steam is required, it seems wise to require these things.

Comments

• -syk.Dutch^-syk.Dutch^ Posts: 11Player
    Do the devs look at forum posts?
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Steam is a great partner to have on PC. Trying to gain any traction in the market without going through Steam is extremely difficult.

As to having a more difficult barrier to entry through Steam, we don't want that.
    We don't want to require X dollars spent or Y games in your library.
    Many of our players only play this and don't have anything else on steam.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

I understand that part of it. How many players quit the game because of hacking players? It takes at best 15 minutes to download the game, for many 45 minutes to an hour, through steam. During that time it would be difficult to set up the rest of your steam account?

I've been playing the game for 13 years or roughly 26,000 hours, not an exaggeration, (or a good use of my life :D ) I've seen many ACI confirmed hackers come in and empty servers over and over again. I am not saying that access should be restricted. I'm saying that we should be able to easily identify their steam account, make it easier for server admins to track and background check suspect players.

Would it be difficult to list steam account names related to in game names in the console? I'd just like to see fewer hackers in the game, it's not rampant, but it's very irritating to watch players enter a server and headshot 6 guys in 2 seconds on diverse parts of the map while punkbuster does nothing. Then when you try to reference the steam account associated you can't, because he/she hasn't had to set one up.

These are questions, I am not trying to down the Devs, I appreciate their work, especially this latest version.
    I don't know what word I used to get a TOS violation, but my apologies
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    When I see a Cheese Eater on Official Servers (not very often) I go here:
    http://www.americasarmy.com/support/abuse
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    edited November 2015
    Listing a Steam account name isn't terribly useful since that's easy to change frequently. The PB_plist (PunkBuster player list) command returns an 8-digit number for each player (you'll need to enable Punkbuster messages in the game settings). Those digits are the same as the last 8 digits of the player's SteamID.

For example, my full SteamID is 76561197994508879. Visiting http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197994508879 takes you directly to my account. PunkBuster returns 94508879 as my PBGUID.

Admins are free to retrieve the full player ID. When a PunkBuster screenshot is captured, the reference line stored in the log looks like so:
    000806 "Saccho" (W) GUID=00000000000000076561197994508879(VALID) [2015.11.02 19:28:39]

That GUID corresponds exactly to the Steam profile used by the player.

Now, for you as a player in another server, this doesn't totally close the cycle on being able to go from the game straight to the player's profile. You can still go through the Steam overlay player browser, open profiles, and check the URLs if you really want to get to a profile while in-game. I'm not really sure what the utility of that is, though. ACI, PBBans, GGC-Stream... they all already have account tracking built around the exact correspondence between PBGUID and SteamID.
  • IO_i_OIIO_i_OI Posts: 1,107Player
    FunPolice wrote: »
    Steam is a great partner to have on PC. Trying to gain any traction in the market without going through Steam is extremely difficult.

As to having a more difficult barrier to entry through Steam, we don't want that.

So true. If I am going to dish out 60 bucks for a game I certainly want something I can hold in my hand for it -- like a DVD. I turn away from Downloaded Content unless it is for FREE.
    googley avatar aapg

• =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    IO_i_OI wrote: »

So true. If I am going to dish out 60 bucks for a game I certainly want something I can hold in my hand for it -- like a DVD. I turn away from Downloaded Content unless it is for FREE.

Old school mentality..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    IO_i_OI wrote: »

Old school mentality..

Yup so much safer and easier to have Downloaded Content. Don't have to worry about misplacing DVD, game case, or Game KEY to install.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• 4DChessGenius4DChessGenius Posts: 2,157Player
    Pretty much my entire gaming library is on Steam. I have a few on other services that came around recently (GoG, Origin, etc), but almost everything is on steam. Buying hard copy games is a waste of space. DLC is usually trash, but sometimes it's worthwhile. For example, the first expansion on the Witcher 3 was fantastic.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • -Ner0--Ner0- Posts: 1,574Player
    edited November 2015
    I don't like Steam.
    http://gabenewell.org/
    HJbSf8Tt.jpg?2
    Think positive thoughts,
    say positive words,
    do positive actions
    and the positive grows.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    edited November 2015
    I moslty buy games from a store, like I have done all my life :mrgreen:

I'd buy AA if they sold it on a DVD.. and sold it in Britain :wink:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.