Great Outdoors Map Creation Contest

Comments

• K!Dz.applePIEK!Dz.applePIE Posts: 1,050Player
    not everyone has ssd I suppose

No its way more than that. SSD barely helps load times to that extent. Someone loading a map for 30 seconds is not gonna load in 5 seconds just by getting an SSD.

obviously every competent plays a role.. but regarding load times of a map ssd is the biggest help you can get.
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    No its not. Your CPU is.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

edited November 2015
    No its not. Your CPU is.

sry dude but again you have no idea.. map load time is influenced the most how fast the info is read from your drive. And if you have the fastest cpu with a crapy old harddrive, a guy with an entry level cpu and a fast ssd would always beat you.

Of course if you have good cpu + good ssd you would load faster than with only good ssd
    You can think what ever you want but someone taking over 30 seconds to load a map in AAPG is not going to suddenly load the map in under 10 seconds by getting an ssd he needs the fast CPU as well.

You can think what ever you want but someone taking over 30 seconds to load a map in AAPG is not going to suddenly load the map in under 10 seconds by getting an ssd he needs the fast CPU as well.

its not what I think or believe.. its a fact of how pc does work..
    and I never said that a guy who gets an ssd will load 10 seconds faster if he bought an ssd.. dont put words in my mouth..

I just said, not everyone has an ssd for fast load times like necabo (or me) have. And surely we land on the map first cos our specs allow it with fast cpu + good ram + good ssd

But this is also not what we were originally talking about. We just realized when we have 30 seconds some players (obviously with lower specs) dont make it to first round. And after couple of tests we found the sweet spot to be 37 seconds. By that time everyone ends up making to the first round of next map.

Just did a test. Loading the map breach on normal HDD took me 7 seconds and my SSD took me 6 seconds maybe even same amount.

• SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    Most importantly though, I can load maps faster than Apple :)
    edited November 2015
    SSKnecabo wrote: »
    Most importantly though, I can load maps faster than Apple :)

true.. hard to believe but your GPU (only different component we have) gives you couple of milliseconds advantage.. you are the only one who loaded a map faster than me so far..

edit : but I am getting titan x with 12Gb ram soon.. get ready to lose :P
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 248Player
    edited November 2015
    Time loading maps seems to be a larger issue with UMM's most stock maps load quite readily.
    We are also noticing that some maps are still requiring users to rebuild shader cache even when they have been seared ,
    Having a good cpu is always a good thing regardless but the SSD does seem to load them quicker
    Time loading maps seems to be a larger issue with UMM's most stock maps load quite readily.
    We are also noticing that some maps are still requiring users to rebuild shader cache even when they have been seared ,
    Having a good cpu is always a good thing regardless but the SSD does seem to load them quicker

My comment about 37 seconds goes for official maps (including large flo maps like slums and overload)
    Whats your experience with UMMs?
  • (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 248Player
    Official maps , I have no issue at all , and regarding UMM's this was only an issue prior to the new searing process, however I have had a couple of maps that still rebuild shader cache even tho they have been seared.

I agree we also have our start time delayed to 35 seconds because some folks with less capable or older machines load slower.
  • ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,104Player
    edited November 2015
    I have noticed that UMMs take quite some time to load even with searing. When it loads, the little Army videos even tend to freeze up a bit. It usually takes me over 30 seconds to load any UMM. Official maps usually take less than 10 I think. I have my AAPG on a standard HDD. I used to use an SSD for the game, but honestly, I haven't noticed a huge difference.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    Tomorrow is Dec 1st.. I read that in December well get Alpha runs of submitted maps .. when? .. how much more time do guys have for map submission?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • Bear_82Bear_82 Posts: 360Moderator
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    Tomorrow is Dec 1st.. I read that in December well get Alpha runs of submitted maps .. when? .. how much more time do guys have for map submission?

from the first post in the thread:
    . . .
    What is the deadline for entry?
    There are two dates you should know: Monday, December 14, 2015 and Monday, February 1, 2016.

December 14th will be a preview event that we hold halfway through the competition. This is a time for the community and developers to see what you have up to this point and to provide feedback. Think of this as an Alpha Test for your map. The goal is to provide you with useful feedback while you still have enough time to make changes. This deadline is OPTIONAL. You can still enter the contest if you don’t submit anything by this deadline, but that means you will lose a huge opportunity for feedback from the community.

February 1st is the deadline for submissions in to the competition. Whatever is submitted to the workshop on this date is what will be judged. Deadlines for both of these dates (Dec 14 and Feb 1) are 9am CST.
    . . .
    The right of the people to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.
  • weakness_aaweakness_aa Posts: 143Player
    In a properly configured PC you will notice that your CPU is mostly idle waiting on other task to complete. The biggest bottleneck of pc performance is caused by a slow HDD and not enough RAM. When memory is insufficient, disk read/write is excessive and much slower than reading data from memory. Once the proper amount of memory installed, the bulk of operations can be performed from memory and not disk. Since AAPG is a 32bit application it's only using a single CPU core. I would be my opinion that the speed of the CPU would not influence the loading time of the game or maps as much as ram or a faster hard drive.
  • Bashar_al-AssadBashar_al-Assad Posts: 579Player
    I removed the loading videos(cut and paste to somewhere else).
    Does this decrease loading times?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,594Beta Tester
    Pvt.Phushi wrote: »
    I removed the loading videos(cut and paste to somewhere else).
    Does this decrease loading times?

As I understand it, the loading video are only there to keep you busy while the map loads, and once it loads, you get the prompt to kill the video if you want.

It is map loading that is slowing you down.

With my Samsung SSD and fast i7 processor, I am always the first in a new map.

______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,012Player
    Guys it also has a lot to do with ram but more about bus speed.
  • ={101st}=Muzza455={101st}=Muzza455 Posts: 1,012Player
    My rig . Acer v nitro black edition . Gaming laptop . I 7 . 120gb ssd 1 tb hd . 4k ultra hd screen . But let down is 8gb ram and not top speed bus.