Great Outdoors Map Creation Contest

Comments

• (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 248Player
    edited November 2015
    I agree with Whiplash and Wolverine , that is my only point to be made . Some maps do not play thru well at 4 minutes and the server administrator or Devs in this case can adjust the time very easily, there is no need to cause some of the map makers to conform to a criteria that is not condusive to a contest entitled the Great Outdoors , 4 minutes is more like the small outdoors.
    I just hate to see people excluded by default especially when the terms were not included in the rules set forth , and clearly not what the masses intended when we voted for the theme Great Outdoors .
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,973Player
    edited November 2015
    No of course not but 4 minutes clearly steers the contest to close quarters , I think 6 or 7 minutes would be just fine . And just to be clear there are many players that enjoy 7 minute rounds I run them all the time on our server and people are just fine with it . And for the record I also run short close quarter maps and people like them too, the point here is that you started a contest and now you are adjusting the rules to accomadate a certain faction. This eliminates a lot of good maps and is not fair to the general population.
    The rules did not include a time limit and there is no good reason to make it 4 minutes , the server can be set to let the map dictate the time limit so theres no issue there.
    The fact is if you set it to 4 minutes you really may as well have discarded the theme vote and call it a competition map theme.
    That is the opinion of a comp player clearly , as I said this contest was supposed to be for everyone not just comp players. I really don't think that you are speaking for the entire player base and it clearly eliminate some maps by default they are not fun when rushed to a 4 minute time limit.
    If we wanted to play COD we would play COD.

If you have a server and your running custom maps at 7 minutes that's fine but obviously the entire community does not feel the same way or your server would be populated 24 hours a day 7 days a week and its not.

Also you don't want to play COD this games is basically a cod clone always has been it's been moving from that slowly but in terms of 4 minute maps vs 7 minute maps. Having 4 does not change the game to more of a cod clone than 7 minute maps would be the game would still be the same.
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    That is the opinion of a comp player clearly , as I said this contest was supposed to be for everyone not just comp players. I really don't think that you are speaking for the entire player base and it clearly eliminate some maps by default they are not fun when rushed to a 4 minute time limit.
    If we wanted to play COD we would play COD.

I just dont think skill level has anything to do with it, I see it on your sever all the time.. sitting for 2 min in one spot while on the attack side only hurts your teams chances.. only a couple players will do this and the rounds go the distance because of ~ two players. Thats not being tactical, thats not helping your team.. it has no benefit.. and when the player realizes there are 20 seconds left he moves only to die.. a 4 min round skips that, forces players to actually play, make decisions, move together, communicate... everything you guys want in a game.

Exactly my thoughts. This is how they want to play and these players don't even make up half of the community. The reason for that is the people that want this type of game do not play AAPG because it is not this type of game the go play games like Arma 3, BF3/4 etc...

Now to answer your question as to why it was not in the rules the map had to be a time limit of 4 minutes is because it is common sense that your map has to follow the same standard time limit of all other 12v12 maps. It's seem a lot of you are having trouble grasping why there is not a huge open map in the game yet. It simply does not work with the way the game is designed right now. You seriously think the devs have not tried it? and many many other things we have asked for like VIP, Fireteams etc... It's all been tried they have been smart enough to know as they should that it simply does not follow suite with the gameplay/other maps.

EDIT: Also 4 minutes does not steer the contest to close quarters. I have played AA2 Border many times and 4 minutes is more than enough time on that huge map. So no your dead wrong about 4 minutes steering the contest to CQB style only. Great outdoors also does not mean huge wide open maps with no buildings. It can be CQB it can be long distance battles it can be any type of style of map that you feel will work with this game. 4 minutes does not change that because it is more than enough time. The only way you would need more than 4 minutes if it takes 1:30 minutes - 2 minutes to get to the obj and take it or extract it. (With nobody in the server - This is a simple test to see whats the fastest possible time you can win the round via obj? It's not going to be a lot and require more than 4 minutes if you are following the guidelines for the contest. Good luck.
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,082Player
    edited November 2015
    To be fair, Beer Me server is practically always full from afternoon til late night. There are usually spectators waiting to get in. Last night it was 8 spectators deep. The server is ranked #11 in the most popular AAPG servers (5th in the US). Of the servers above it, 2 are inner hospital only, 1 is bridge only (oddly), and one is an Inner/Downtown/Watchdog only server.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    edited November 2015
    Your opinion is yours I don't condemn you or your thoughts but the fact remains that this contest will eliminate a lot of good maps . Colts all of what you say is true but it is true IF you are a competition player , not all of us are competition players .You competition guys think that your gameplay is the only gameplay and continuously try to block anything that isn't what you want
    Well I have news for you this game is for everyone not just you folks. At this point the contest is tainted anyway since it seems that you will have your way no matter what is fair to everyone.
    For me I will boycott the contest and urge anyone else to do the same , this contest is for competition maps as I see it. Its clear to me that this was changed to accomadate a certain group , there is simply no logical reason why the contest needs to be limited to 4 minute maps except to exclude those who prefer a longer round time, and appease those who do not.

PS: Our server stays full just fine , ask around and you will get the community opinion rather than just the competition folks opinion. That is if you truly want the opinion of the entire community ?
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,532Beta Tester
    I agree with the complainants here, Your Honor.

Map time changes the contest.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,177Player
    BeerMe is one of the reasons I lobby for 32 player servers! it's that hard to get a spot :)

If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• RedBaron64(ITA)RedBaron64(ITA) Posts: 173Player
    The true problem is that was not a good idea to move the time limit round of official flo maps from 5 to 4 min. And now, i'm not english native language, i'm not sure to understand the word 'outdoor' associated with the 4 min round.....the only way to do a good playable map with 4 min round is to reduce the size of the map and my original idea, considering the 'outdoor' direction, was to do a large, open map wth atleast 5 min round ( if not 6) and an extraction idea 'a la border'. I lost my inspiration for the comp, surely the map i began to assembly doesn't suite with 4 min round, surely now i'm not so confidet with my original idea.
    N.B. With two good teams is not possible to play the original border in only 4 minutes, pls dont lie
    edited November 2015
    sm_mapname = small = 3 minutes
    md_mapname = medium = 4 minutes
    lg_mapname = large = 5 minutes
    xl_mapname = extra large = 6 minutes
    hg_mapname = huge = 7 minutes

Done. I'd consider huge to be recon size (which I hope to never see).

Servers can then decide which size maps they want their servers to run. Server size wouldn't be restricted to 6v6 or 12v12. Instead, we'd have roles unlock based on how many players are in a server.

Time is based on what the mapper chooses the size of their map to be. Obviously, if I decide that my map is huge when it's the size of pipeline, I'm doing it wrong. However, you'd hope that there'd be some sort of guide somewhere that would help mappers determine the proper classification.

FLO & BDX containers are holding back this game.
  • G5CubeG5Cube Posts: 7Player
    I realize I am a new face on these forums, but I've been playing AA for a decade. While I am certainly a fan of longer slower-paced maps from yester-year (SF Recon anyone?), I also enjoy the pace even of the current "large" maps like Cold Front and Redline. I want to see both.

Even if the maps chosen from this contest aren't huge and long, I am still looking forward to new(!) outdoor(!!) maps. That's a win in my book.

I've never made a full map before, but I am looking forward to the challenge of making something which could be on official servers and still have that "expansive" feeling I reminisce about. I hope I will have enough time to commit to making something in time for the December playtest.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    @ Colts - I usually agree with a lot of what you say....however, I had lawl at your beer me server comments. Think about this Colts.... The have the 11th most populated server in all of the game, The Whole Game. Now think about this....,. They are the "ONLY" server that runs 24/7 custom maps, and it's always populated. Besides the few guys that are talking about the 3 -4 minutes here, people in that server get upset when maps with low time limits are played....to the point where the play the map twice in a row. 95%? The people there love the long map time, and it's an amazing atmosphere. The other 5% either are complaint about the long map times or the just leave. It's by far the best umm's server out there, and they support the community mappers 100%. Most other server admins don't even bothere hosting them because the feel it's too much work and hassle. On the other hand, these guys welcome it. I for one appreciate all their hard work and dedication. And I am thankful for them hosting my maps.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    most of the time its the same ppl playing that server though..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    =IK=Doba= wrote: »
    most of the time its the same ppl playing that server though..

Isn't that how every private server is?
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    it is when you have such a small player base.. so throwing around numbers doesnt really mean much

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,177Player
    When you have a small player base and a custom map server is almost always populated.. that kinda means its a successful server and players enjoy that server :mrgreen:

So if you think about it.. the numbers actually mean a lot.
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

edited November 2015
    Its interesting that you want to steer this conversation toward our server , but since you want facts here they are we are ranked 11th overall 5th in the US we are full 2/3 rds of each day and if you think it is the same people everyday then you should read the gametracker stats because our server has 6058 unique players to date. And before I was forced to change IP addresses it was in excess of 10,000.
    These are the facts although I fail to see what they have to do with the map contest.
    The fact is you are playing there as I write this and clearly you are having a good time , well guess what there isn't one map on that server with less than 5 minutes so clearly your agenda is not to create a fair contest but rather promote yet more competition gameplay in this game .
    Try to understand NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY THAT WAY. There are people who like comp. and there are people who do not, why does it have to be your way??

And by the way the only relevant servers to these stats are servers running UMM's so you do the math.
    I think that I am a bit more in touch with the Usermade map community than you are sir.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    Numbers are numbers ;) . Only servers ahead of them are either bridge or inner servers. That's what's sad, not map having 3 minutes or 7 minutes.
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    Let's get this thread back on topic. This is about the competition, it's entries, and any questions you have.

The debate you are having would be better suited in it's own thread elsewhere.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• SacchoSaccho Posts: 1,577Player
    I fail to see the connection between "competition gameplay" and the mapping contest. I don't really think the Devs see a connection there, either. In my experience the Devs are pretty strong-headed about what they want for their game.

It seems to me that they've chosen a desired round length to keep players engaged and want some consistency across the officially endorsed maps.

I think many players have a poor grasp for how long the round timers really are and what the implications are for player participation. The Devs would have the stats on average player lifetime and average round length and can make decisions on what's appropriate for the game based on that.

Re: Beer_Me server popularity -- They've found a niche in hosting UMMs. I played there a few times to try to experience them, but found the painfully long round timers frustrating. I'm not convinced "long round timers" are really the reason they fill their server up.
    edited November 2015
    Ok , back on track then , Why are the map contest rules being adjusted to include only maps that are made to play in 4 minutes . The Theme that we voted was Great Outdoors , the 3 choices would have defined the time for gameplay clearly. So the Great Outdoors won, then we adjust the rules 2 weeks later to say that the map must have a 4 minute time limit. Can anyone tell me a logical reason for this since it will by default exclude many maps that would have otherwise been well suited for a contest called The Great outdoors.
    Its a simple question and Since the Usermade map community are the ones being slighted I think its a fair question that we have a right to ask.
    Please keep in mind that you can set any time limit server side to accomadate any map , there does not seem to be any logical scenario that mandates 4 minutes especially since it was not stated in the original rules.

Simply put , not all of us want to play 4 minute rounds and we are being forced to do just that and further more it seems that it is only done after the comp guys weigh in and did not get their way for the theme vote.
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,532Beta Tester
    I think I can explain the 'issue' succinctly...everyone got excited about the outdoor map theme and thought it was something that subsequent information has more or less ruled out. Therefore, it's a bit of a let down instead of something to get excited about, like they thought.

Most people see outdoor as Big, Outside, Trees, Rocks, Tactics, TIME....unless I'm mistaken.

This info should have been explained in the contest criteria, and I'm guessing the reason it wasn't is because we ALL only just now realized it's important.
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.