Great Outdoors Map Creation Contest

Comments

• (Beer_Me)Roach(Beer_Me)Roach Posts: 248Player
    edited November 2015
    Well it was not stated in the original rules , for this contest or the last one for that matter.and it certainly is not condusive to Outdoor maps and eliminates a large percentage of people with good maps to play .
    By deduction the contest is now steered toward close quarter map play.
    Just read the rules you posted it clearly does not mention a time limit and I fail to see why it would be relevant.
    As for the official servers there is a setting in your config that allows the map (world properties) to dictate the timelimit.
  • SSKnecaboSSKnecabo Posts: 2,721Player
    It's supposed to become an official map which will be added to the rotation of the official servers right? Do you really think they want people to play 10 3-4 minute maps and then some 10 minute map? As a player that would make me leave the server..
    No of course not but 4 minutes clearly steers the contest to close quarters , I think 6 or 7 minutes would be just fine . And just to be clear there are many players that enjoy 7 minute rounds I run them all the time on our server and people are just fine with it . And for the record I also run short close quarter maps and people like them too, the point here is that you started a contest and now you are adjusting the rules to accomadate a certain faction. This eliminates a lot of good maps and is not fair to the general population.
    The rules did not include a time limit and there is no good reason to make it 4 minutes , the server can be set to let the map dictate the time limit so theres no issue there.
    The fact is if you set it to 4 minutes you really may as well have discarded the theme vote and call it a competition map theme.
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    4 min is good.. every map you guys have can be played in that amount of time.. the other 2 min are wasted 99% of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
    edited November 2015
    That is the opinion of a comp player clearly , as I said this contest was supposed to be for everyone not just comp players. I really don't think that you are speaking for the entire player base and it clearly eliminate some maps by default they are not fun when rushed to a 4 minute time limit.
    If we wanted to play COD we would play COD.
  • ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    I tried entering the Beer Me server last night because the map currently on was one I had subscribed to. However, when I clicked connect, it alerted me I had to download all rotation maps from the workshop.

Is this intended? I just want to play that one map I subscribed to and leave. I certainly do not wish to download/subscribe to 20+ maps I have no interest in playing.

Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
    We have no control over that its the way the game handles the download
    That is the opinion of a comp player clearly , as I said this contest was supposed to be for everyone not just comp players. I really don't think that you are speaking for the entire player base and it clearly eliminate some maps by default they are not fun when rushed to a 4 minute time limit.
    If we wanted to play COD we would play COD.

I just dont think skill level has anything to do with it, I see it on your sever all the time.. sitting for 2 min in one spot while on the attack side only hurts your teams chances.. only a couple players will do this and the rounds go the distance because of ~ two players. Thats not being tactical, thats not helping your team.. it has no benefit.. and when the player realizes there are 20 seconds left he moves only to die.. a 4 min round skips that, forces players to actually play, make decisions, move together, communicate... everything you guys want in a game.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,117Beta Tester
    Guys guys guuuuuuuyyyyyyss!!!! There is simple solution to all this madness. Let's all take a chill pill and think about this for a minute. Official or not you can change the time in the properties of each map. So they can put it let's say 7 minutes in properties this way the official servers can use the default server settings of 4 minutes, and any private server server can turn that feature off and use the maps default time setting. Personally I think this should de done to all of the official maps. Have the flo maps be 7 minutes or so and the bdx 4 to 5 minutes. This way people have the option to either use server setting or map settings. Win win for everyone.
    edited November 2015
    Wasted time is the product of a player NOT the map , And as stated in the rules the map criteria states it should be fun (Skill was not mentioned ) what you fail to see is that we all look at it differently as per individual. Everyone has the right to play or not play a map , and everyone has the right to play at their own pace. You like fast pace competition style maps , that's fine (for you) but it is not the opinion of everyone and the contest is for everyone . Furthermore the rules were stated and did not impose a time limit.
    In fact below is a reply that Tots made to an earlier question. It says quite the opposite!

Ok, here's some dev words.

1) Don't worry, we understand what we mean by outside. "Bush Heavy" isn't it :)

2) There shouldn't be any features coming in the contest time that would effect the map makers.

No plan to add fire teams. Tried it about a year or so ago and it wasn't playing well. Could it happen in the future? Maybe. Don't wait on it though.

We can look at adding smokes to the UMM loadouts

Map makers can set what roles they want and their quantities. It's up to them to decide how many scopes they want on their maps.

Map makers can set the time they want on their maps.

So, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Here is the link to that post:
    http://forum.americasarmy.com/discussion/3593/great-outdoors-map-creation-contest/p3
    Thanks Wolverine , I already made that point in an earlier post on this thread
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    My reply was meant more to the "missing UMM features" someone was claiming. I was pointing out they did exist. I wasn't speaking about the context of the competition. I should have made that more clear.

As for the round timers, I'm sorry you're unhappy with it.

This comp is to make them official maps, and we want them to fit the same flow and timelines of every other map we have.

If this is too constraining for you I apologize, but we want cohesion with our maps.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    edited November 2015
    We have no control over that its the way the game handles the download

Devs - Any word if this will be subject to change? With all the past performance issues with subscribed maps, i'd rather only subscribe to and download maps I am legitimately interested in. I certainly do not wish to download all the maps the server admin has chosen to include in his rotation.

If that alone deterred me from entering a UMM server, i'm sure it'll deter others too.

In fact, in the original patch notes located HERE, it was written:
    FunPolice wrote: »
    User Made Maps
    [...]The editor can publish using the new Steam method and players will now have the option to download one or more UMMs when they connect to a server.

Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
    edited November 2015
    It is no issue for me , Its a simple matter of whats right you are adjusting the rules of a contest to suit certain players .
    For me it is very easy I will not enter a map . My concern is for all the other people who are being forced to play a style of gameplay that some of us do not care for, is the game for everyone or just competition players?
    This contest is being steered to suit a certain faction and as for the official aspect the servers can easily be made to let the map dictate the time so can someone please tell me a logical reason why the rules are now being adjusted when the outcome clearly disqualifies many good maps , some maps simply are not fun when rushed to 4 minutes , And I'm fairly sure that when we all voted for the Great outdoor theme this was not what we expected. And the fact remains , this was not part of the criteria stated in the contest rules .
    @ Dragon, this is the way it's set up right now, where you have to download everything from the server. I too like the older system where you had a choice to subscribe or not to all the maps.
  • SOPMODSOPMOD Posts: 230Player
    FunPolice wrote: »
    No plan to add fire teams. Tried it about a year or so ago and it wasn't playing well. Could it happen in the future? Maybe. Don't wait on it though.

This is very dissapointing to read.

How does adding fire teams not play wel? You mean weapon restrictions that would come with fire teams?
    Wasted time is the product of a player NOT the map

yup exactly.. so If a player decides to waste time, penalize him.. ex. not enough time to complete mission.. dont reward him by giving him 10 minutes
    criteria states it should be fun

watching someone be totally useless near the end of a round is NOT fun for anyone
    What you fail to see ..... everyone has the right to play at their own pace.

I bet I could crouch walk around most of these maps in 4 minutes and still get the obj... 4 min is plenty of time to play slow yet still maintain a purpose... what you cant do is sit in a bush while on attack for 3 minutes.. thats not a play style

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,104Player
    edited November 2015
    I still think that servers should be able to define the amount of time in every map. That said, I think a part of Roach's point is that if a map is designed to be played over 7 minutes, it will play differently than in a 4 minute timer. As such, a map like this would automatically be at a disadvantage versus a map that's designed to be played in 4 minutes. An outdoor map that is designed for 4 minutes would probably be more close quarters based or at least with less vast open areas.

Doba's point is accurate in most respects, though. Most outdoor maps can be completed in 4 minutes without the game feeling overly rushed. I do think that some maps do need a bit more time, but there's also truth to the fact that the vast majority of players are dead in any size map within the first 3 to 4 minutes. IMO, any and all outdoor maps should be submitted regardless of if you think it's a 7 minute map or a 4 minute map. The map could still play great as a 4 minute map. If the map gets picked, then when you play it on your server it can play as a 7 minute map, when it plays on an official server it plays as a 4.

As Wolverine said, you can define your map time as 7, it will just get overridden on official servers to 4. I don't see the big issue with that.

In terms of comp vs. pub playing. I think a great map should be able to be played by both. I think the divide shouldn't even exist. A great game should play well in both comp and pub. Great maps should play well in both comp and pub.
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
    I agree 100%. Nothing wrong with having options. As FunPolice aka The Tots B) stated, they want consistency with their maps, 3 and 4 minutes on all the official servers. However, I don't think it would hurt anyone by having the map time @ 7, 10, 3hrs in its properties. This way I.E: Doba hates playing a map because it's 2 hrs per round in Roach's server, he can leave and go play it in the official server at 3 or 4 minutes. No harm No foul. Personally I think each level designer should be allowed to pick the default time for his/her map, this way if they wants to play it on his/her own private server , they can choose between map timer or server timer. On the official you play the servers timer.
    Why have a time limit at all? ..just find a bush and party on Wayne.