Great Outdoors Map Creation Contest

Comments

• ={101st}=Whiplash27={101st}=Whiplash27 Posts: 2,031Player
    edited October 2015
    Alright, one more question !!!
    Outdoors maps is like Slums, Coldfront and intercept ? I'm from Brazil and i don't understand your terms very well, sorry. I really don't want to waste my time doing something wrong

Great outdoors is a pretty general type thing. If I look at AA2 maps, with the exception of Pipeline, CSAR, McKenna, Hospital, Weapons Cache, and such, you could make a case for almost every map being "Great Outdoors."

I know AA3, Ranch would be an example.

I guess it's a matter of how much indoors is acceptable. Are radio tower and insurgent camp considered "Great outdoors?" Or are we looking more for Mountain Pass, River Basin, Swamp Raid, etc?

... not that I plan on entering this contest, I can't bring myself to dedicate the necessary time to make another map :smiley:
    You joined the world's greatest army to become a graphic artist? Outstanding!
  • Keebler750Keebler750 Posts: 3,465Beta Tester
    edited October 2015
    Having spent a fair chunk of time tinkering in outdoor maps and assets in the editor, I'd like to start a conversation about some known issues that WILL crop up in this contest:

1) Rock, boulder and mountain terrain assets don't all have proper collision built into the meshes, meaning players will be hiding IN your boulders instead of in your bushes. This requires changing these assets to a full collision model and importing it back into your map.

2) Likewise, many of the tree trunks and bushes either don't stop people, or bullets, or both! This might start a new term: TREE CAMPER! (sometimes you can stand in the tree trunk, depending on how big it is.) Same solution to above.

3) Some game elements are limited by distance, such as game sounds and fog (or smoke) grenade visibility. With sound, there can be battles going on, or people shooting at you, and you can't hear any guns unless the bullet is close to you. With the fog, you might think you are covered by the smoke, but the effect is only visible for a fixed distance, therefore the Opfor might never even know you popped a fog, and it will seem to him as if you are walking out in the open!!! There are other distance related issues too, but I forget ...

4) Performance of the game with longer distances. Longer draw distance drag down your performance, and optimization techniques might come in really handy here. I don't know enough about it yet to give advice, but it will matter in terms of how much fun your beautiful handcrafted outdoor map is to play!

This post may deserve its own topic and proper experts to help sort it out.....
    ______

This has been a test of the emergency flame-fest system. Please do not adjust your set.
  • DELTATHUND3RDELTATHUND3R Posts: 123Moderator
    So looking forward to seeing what our creative community and new forums members that want to get creative come up with....Good luck everyone giving this a go..
  • .dcG-Colts^.dcG-Colts^ Posts: 1,972Player
    Feel free to name your map Instruments of Gods :wink:
    Pie charts + Graphs= Very Bad.

• Gronfather@twitchGronfather@twitch Posts: 466Player
    Urban feel would be nice. Would love to see a remake of a COD4 map :open_mouth:

edited October 2015
    One of the Beer Me guys made a map named Woods. Really liking that one. Outdoors, not too big, lots of corridors which enables a bit more CQB play. Also has a neat objective system where you either occupy 2 objectives or arm the bomb in the middle. Hope they submit that one to this contest.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    edited October 2015
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    One of the Beer Me guys made a map named Woods. Really liking that one. Outdoors, not too big, lots of corridors which enables a bit more CQB play. Also has a neat objective system where you either occupy 2 objectives or arm the bomb in the middle. Hope they submit that one to this contest.

Couldn't agree more, Woods is a very nice, mainly focused on terrain map :) I was actually thinking the exact same when I played it the other night, for me it clearly fits the great outdoor theme whilst incorporating a couple buildings and the gameplay is great too. Has it all really. I noticed you also spawn the AA2/3 way, rooted to the spot until the round starts, not sure how you accomplish that but that was a cool touch I thought too :mrgreen:

Here's a link if anyone want to check it out..

Http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=541438296

Very well done @(Beer_Me)Bloody :)
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 206Player
    Are maps like radio tower possible to create with this map editor? Or let's say are sandscapes, sandstorms possible....because I've never seen a UMM at proving grounds with something similar.
  • [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,165Player
    Are maps like radio tower possible to create with this map editor? Or let's say are sandscapes, sandstorms possible....because I've never seen a UMM at proving grounds with something similar.

That's the beauty of making a map, anything is possible within the confines of your imagination :)
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

You can import any texture you'd like for landscapes and such. I originally made sandstorm with all sand. I recently changed it into snow just to make it a bit different than the original.
  • {M.9}-Arko{M.9}-Arko Posts: 206Player
    Cool, create one for the contest :p
    edited October 2015
    I think this would make a great map.

You have your great outdoors theme on ground level than with about the same or close to the same playing space as above you have underground cqb stuff that way you have mixture of long distance and cqb, which is one factor into making a good map. Take ranch for example as what to have above ground some buildings etc than below ground like ranch but much bigger. I unfortunately do not know how to make maps or have the time for it but can help people with feedback and ideas for sure.

• ddra-ddra- Posts: 453Player
    A really high fidelity radio tower map was created by Rollerfosho
    Fragmovie 6 | iNv Discord
    FGNL Season 1 Champions
    FN Season 2 & 4 Champions
  • Can't wait to see all the maps
  • =IK=Doba==IK=Doba= Posts: 2,789Player
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=494214314

I hope this is submitted.. was the funnest outdoor UMM Ive played

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4YhM6jUB2MxVj8i3b9rhw
  • TheTotsTheTots Posts: 2,279Player
    I'll reach out to the creator and make sure he knows about the competition.
    The game wasn't made exactly to my specifications, so I feel it's broken.

=IK=Doba= wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=494214314

I hope this is submitted.. was the funnest outdoor UMM Ive played

Looks like it could be fun!

• .shhfiftyfive-.shhfiftyfive- Posts: 495Player
    1. the last thing i want is the devs to focus on nominating a bush heavy map because they think that is what we would consider outdoorsy...

border was one of the best outdoor (pub) maps, so i hope the devs don't get too stuck on the idea that a map can't qualify if it has a bunch of buildings. border had a lot of terrain and also it was objective based, not team deathmatch. there was a goal and it was achievable. buildings have a place in outdoor maps. you can't just expect the defending team to sit on the back side of a hill and rely on great sniping and hope they don't get flanked...

2. also, what's the status on the game features? this contest isn't going to end for months... is that enough time that we can expect the devs to insert a fire team feature, a way to allow map makers and maps/missions in general to feel different from each other, instead of all being the same broken situation where we see everyone carrying fogs, almost 1/2 of each team carrying zoom optics, etc... it is a sure fast way to get sick of a game.

i don't really understand how you can hold a contest for outdoor maps when you have removed smoke from the game. it is just insane logic.

bring fire team to aapg and bring back smoke in limited fashion, and let the map maker decide what weapons/scopes can be used on his/her map.... THEN do a contest for "outdoor map" once you have given map makers tools for such a thing. preferably more than 1 map per several months...

one size fits all weapon selection is lame. 10 scopes per server on every 12v12 is lame.

one size fits all round timers is lame. fix this designation to be customized per map, not per bdx/flo label.

all of this has been requested years ago now.. still no word from any dev on these features. sorry but that's not how you win over a community's loyalty and interest in your work.

edited November 2015
    At least on a good side, mappers can eliminate snipers and DMs from their maps completely. Unfortunately, while it makes sense to keep the AR role, you can't remove the ELCAN scope, so you're stick with having ARs having zoomed optics. So you either sacrifice that or use a 12 rifleman setup.

Personally, I'd like to see the following:
    1. Roles unlocking based on player count
    2. Mappers able to set which weapons are available in each map
    3. Mappers able to set which attachments are available in each map
    4. Mappers able to set the amount of grenades each class can carry. e.g. set a sniper for 0 frags, 2 fog, 2 smoke or set rifleman to 1 frags, 2 flash, etc.
  • -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,116Beta Tester
    Whiplash27 wrote: »
    At least on a good side, mappers can eliminate snipers and DMs from their maps completely. Unfortunately, while it makes sense to keep the AR role, you can't remove the ELCAN scope, so you're stick with having ARs having zoomed optics. So you either sacrifice that or use a 12 rifleman setup.

Personally, I'd like to see the following:
    1. Roles unlocking based on player count
    2. Mappers able to set which weapons are available in each map
    3. Mappers able to set which attachments are available in each map
    4. Mappers able to set the amount of grenades each class can carry. e.g. set a sniper for 0 frags, 2 fog, 2 smoke or set rifleman to 1 frags, 2 flash, etc.

:+1: