Creating a new static mesh

Hello there,
A while back I was working on a 3d model in Maya to use as a static mesh for a map.
I just wondered where you go from there, I have heard about uv wrapping and that, but the tutorials seem so complex it puts me off.
Besides where do you go from there.
Could someone do a step by step of a simple box or something ? *dares to ask*

Comments

• [ENG]Uni-Sol[ENG]Uni-Sol Posts: 3,193Player
    I wouldn't know where to start, probably Youtube :lol:
    If my trollery drives you crazy, you'd better put on your seatbelt.

• -=}WoLvErInE{=--=}WoLvErInE{=- Posts: 1,155Beta Tester
    Like Uni said, Youtube would help..let me try and steer you in the right direction.

1. Once you create a proper model...Triangles, polys...not getting out of hand with size.
    2. You will need UV unwrap your model. (You can create high poly model bake normal for low poly, also creating LOD's of that.
    3. you'll need to create at least 2 uv channels. 1st being for your texture and 2nd being for you lightmap. thats how the engine calculates and bakes lighting of the 2nd channel. There are time where you might need to create more than 2. leave this for another time or when you get bit better at it.
    4. Once you have created your UV's, you'll need to export the templates so you can create textures for them.
    5. Create texture, normals, specular, AO...using photoshop, gimp etc.
    6. Once you have done all the above, tested your model in maya/max/blender..
    7. you will need to export your model in fbx format and imported into editor along with all its textures,
    8. Finally create material shaders for it and you're good to go

I forgot to mention this above , but make sure you create all the collisions for the model in maya/max/blender too. making them in UE can cause issues.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with. ;)